“Awful” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Awful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

First impressions were awful, Receptionist was a happy soul, customer service skills awful. Once we got in our room all the windows were wide open (Its December!!) We was due to stay 2 nights as it is closer to work then travelling from home, after just 1 hour sleep due to the noise of the German market being dismantled all night we requested a refund. I understand you get what your paying for but at least some sleep would be nice

Room Tip: Do not stay in the front rooms
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Yes, the previous reviews are correct!

The good:
- location (right in the middle of the centre of town, good for main train line)
- price (don't expect much for £30 for a double room so price reflected the standard of hotel you stay in)
- tea making facilities in all rooms
- looked after bags as we arrived early and wasn't able to check into room until 2pm

The bad
- facilities are very outdated, old and the whole place needs a refurb
- dirty carpets and filthy windows that you cannot see out of,
- grumpy reception staff

The ugly
- the smell in the corridor!!

Advice:
Park at 'China Town' 24 hour car park... £15 for 24 hours and the closest one that's open all day

Don't stay in a Britannia hotel!
I stayed in another one earlier this year, I didn't realise this was one too... If I did, I would have found another hotel!

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Bradford UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Ridiculous that this 'hotel' still operates. Moderately presentable hallway but soon as we spoke to the woman behind the counter, we knew it was a bad decision to book. A very rude, curt and impolite woman handled our reservations and could not have found both even though we gave the printout, because their filing system had inverted name with surname, then she made out we didn't explain that properly to her!
The room was poor, I have no idea where that picture from the list comes from but the room itself was dirty, there were plug sockets that were obsolete thirty years ago, a massive tube TV that didn't even tune, but at least the window not being double glazed offered a great alternative to a fridge, since the view of the light chute wasn't much to reckon.
As for the cleanliness, there were cobwebs, dust even inside the wardrobes and dents on the wall were fixed with white tac and tip-ex.
Breakfast was poor, the milk on offer had gone off, I almost felt sorry for the concierge because she handled guests coming in and cleaning of tables all by herself.
Also the walls are so thin, you can hear conversations next door, never mind anything less welcoming.
The location is good and to be fair, fifty years ago that hotel *might* have been acceptable. For now, do yourselves a favour and don't waste your money on it.
An appalling experience, thankfully it was only for two nights.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
St Helens, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

The hotel is in a good location being in the centre of Birminghams shopping streets, resturants and a 10 minute walk from the train station.

The positives are that they have a good hot power shower, a double bed has plenty of room, it has a tv, towels, wardrobes and coffee making facilities.

The negatives the beds aren't that comfy but fine after a few drinks, the rooms and carpet need some TLC but the biggest problem was that the windows open up over the docking station and alleyway for the shops so the unloading of wagons and drunk people talking travels up the walls and you can hear it all loud if you have the window slightly open.

The hotel is good for getting your head down after a night out or a couple of bottles of wine.

Room Tip: Maybe ask for a high floor room.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at this hotel yesterday, I did read the reviews before hand, I only booked this hotel because I was staying only one night and wanted something cheap, I guess you pay for what you get!! though when I arrived I was checked in fine and hotel was easier to find. The hotel is very old fashioned and needs a revamp, are room was ok size, the bathroom needed a good clean and when we used the shower the shower tap came off while I was in there lucky it didn't hit me. And they had a sock hanging from celling I couldn't believe it I think it covered up something up, madness. Also the walls are very thin so you can hear people very clearly next store. And people were smoking in there rooms so when I left my room in moning I got a lovely smell smoke And finally the only good point I can say is its very central.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with family
Burntwood
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I normally stop in the Ibis when in Central Birmingham, but as they wanted £112 a night (in their dreams I thought!) I gave the Britannia a try.

I booked online at 2.00pm on Friday 19th December and booked in around 5.20pm. The Britannia Hotel charged me £88 for 2 nights, Friday 19th December 2014 and Saturday 20th December 2014.

The Hotel is central indeed, but the dirty carpet leading into the Reception doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I was allocated room 317 on the 3rd floor, in a single room with a single bed. The room was passably clean, the bed was OK, although there was only a thin duvet on the bed. TV worked, Wi-Fi worked too.

There was a definite lack of power points though, only 2 in the whole room, and there were 2 old round pin sockets too which of course I couldn't use - first time I've seen those still in a hotel in Britain in my life! Bring a treble adapter if you've got one.

Bathroom passably clean, but fixtures and fittings decades old - at least the hot water worked and the shower over the bath was effective.

To sum up - it's OK as a place to get your head down for the night, it is very central, but the tired rooms and general air of neglect spoil it - wouldn't recommend it for anyone wanting something special or a romantic weekend.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

The worst hotel ever had the mis fortune to stay in, dirty, unclean and unkept. Location is good but there are also benches outside that looked cleaner. Was going to shower this morning but decided was probably better off given the towels were dirty looking and shower looked uncleaned. When about to enter my room, a polish bloke walked past and impressed me with his comment of - welcome to hotel hell - how true

Maybe charge a little bit more, and get a cleaner in now and again, the location is perfect for birmingham but come on, try a little bit

Would be amazed if health inspectors ever visited as surely would closed down

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Britannia Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!