“Like 'the shining' but worse” 2 of 5 stars

Britannia Hotel Birmingham
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   New Street, Birmingham B2 4RX, England (Ladywood)   |
Ranked #107 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
Farnborough, England
“Like 'the shining' but worse”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Was pretty desperate for a room. No sign posts to room numbers. Long weird hairs in the bath. Room is falling apart. Lift smells of excrement/care home. Single glazed so pretty noisy/cold. Lady at reception was fairly friendly/helpful!

• Stayed December 2013
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

I will of course pass your comments onto the relevant department managers for improvements to be made where deemed necessary

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Ok This hotel is dated and needs a makeover, but dependent on your expectations it is perfectly adequate. If you want pristine rooms and facilities go elsewhere. Plenty of Travelodges and Premiers in Birmingham as well as other hotels. If you think you will be happy with good service, good food and friendly staff( try talking to them ) give this hotel a go .The heating system might clunk a bit but it works and some of the guests make far much more noise. It is a bit shabby in places. Wont kill you. Couldn't wish for a better location, We're all different obviously and have different tastes but book in advance and get a good deal and give it a try and make your own mind up. You may be pleasantly surprised .We were

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am so pleased that you took the opportunity to sample first hand the perfect location, and exceptional value for money we at Britannia Hotel Birmingham offer, and were not put off by some of the negative reviews posted here.

Wales
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for one night as needed somewhere to stay after a night out with friends and it had a central location.
This hotel is not very inviting from the outside, and the decor is shabby and dated. It doesn't give a great first impression, however we were expecting the worst after reading the reviews, and we were actually pleasantly surprised with the room itself. It was spacious and clean, with a pretty powerful shower. The bed was comfortable and there wasn't too much noise on the 9th floor.
This hotel wouldn't be my first choice to stay again, however it's not that bad if all you want is a base to sleep in. I couldn't really fault the room itself, but the hotel does need a makeover.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future

Cardiff, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

Well stayed in this hotel over Xmas, One star hotels I have stayed in would jumped over the head of this hotel. The general manager was extremely rude, and the entertainment manager was not much better, I was on the 5th floor and you could hear the disco loudly at 11.45. Not enough lifts when over 100 people are checking in, not organized at all. The food was terrible, and we were seated 25 on my table, so what a poor xmas dinner. Everything frozen no taste, and cold. no entertainment only bingo quiz and disco, floor not big enough to dance on, in fact people went out to a well know chain steak restaurant to eat and drink there. Bedding never change in the 5 days I was there, lights not on when people were walking up the stairs, so that was dangerous. All toilets on 2nd floor or Muezzin were locked or not working when I tried them.this is the floor with no lights on the stairs The rooms had walls similar to studded walls so I could hear next door going to the toilet and even the channel they were watching on the mono tv, no digital here. Fighting outside the hotel. Very noisy people and children running up and down, when you were trying to get your dinner from the cold buffet suppose to be hot. Definitely would not put any weight on although it was a buffet, you were restricted in what you could eat., You could not have 2nd helping of the meat that they were serving. No stars for this 3 star and I would not recommend it to my enemies. I forgot, dirty wallpaper and the carpet could be cleaned, How could the Britannia hotels put up with this manager. I have been 4 times but never to one as bad as this. Britannia management board get you act together

Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest

I apologise that we were not up to your liking or standards, as you kept commenting during your stay to myself and all other members of staff you shouted at, you couldn't wait to put your bad review on trip advisor, at least you were true to your word.

I take offence to your comments, as I did to your screaming in my face during your arrival at the Hotel, even before you stepped foot inside, as was explained to you after you went to look for the toilet you were directed to, the area you were in was roped off as no Guest should have been there, hence no lights other than the emergency lighting.

I can assure you that all toilets were open when you arrived, and throughout the duration of your stay

I can only say that tens of Guests commented to me about how much they had enjoyed their stay, and how well we had looked after them.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

My husband and myself stopped here as we wanted to be as close to the Xmas German markets as possible. We paid £80 room only, we were put on the top floor only one of the two scary lifts was in use. Then the room oh dear dirty, dated, unheated we was frozen all night and the bathroom was so dirty I avoided the shower we couldn't wait to check out .

Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time, and do wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, allowing you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I booked this hotel on last minute and I was not expecting a luxurious adventure. I knew I will get what I pay for. Hotel was rather cheap for last minute booking... A Good point... Location... It's in downtown centre so you can easily access anywhere... Two shopping centres and lots of restaurants minutes away But a list of negatives I need to point out are:

1- hotel was dusty and spider webs were all around. Last day of my two day visit I had the honour to meet Mr. spider on my shoulder!!

2- radiators were making noise. It was like I had a radio station on, in my room.

3- Free wifi in lobby but no wifi coverage in rooms. I don't think it will cost a lot for a hotel to buy some access points...

4- two lifts were not enough for this hotel. Lifts were really old and slow and you had to wait couple of minutes each time for the next lift to arrive to platform!!

5- As expected there was no views outdoor. Single glazed windows opening to an area trapped by old buildings that at least could be cleaner and free from debris...

6- checkout time was 11:00 so I wanted to leave my luggage to reception and surf the city for last couple of hours and come back and pick it up but the reception was understaffed so a young lady was struggling to push some other visitors' luggage in a very small room by putting luggages on top of each other as the room was over packed so eventually that made me change mind totally as I knew up to this point was too much for the lady...

7- Smell of cigarette in the corridors

Overall: if you are in rush for a meeting and need to book a place ASAP, that might be considered as an option but to go there with a family is seriously not recommend...

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet some of your expectations at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention during your stay, as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable outlook.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

Stayed as leisure visit for one night . Only good thing was location . However not worth the poor standards !! Decor and furniture paint falling away ,chipped ! Outdated and musty smelling ! Not even worth £30 we paid !
Never again

Dear Guest,

I am sorry that the hotel failed to meet with your expectations at this time.

Staff are available and on duty 24 hours per day and had you made them aware that you were unhappy with the accommodation provided, they would have been able to assist you in making your stay a much more comfortable and enjoyable one

Regards

Been to Britannia Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!