“britannia hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #107 of 136 Hotels in Birmingham
Stafford, United Kingdom
“britannia hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Hotel is very well situated for town centre. Room we stayed in was quite shabby with stains on walls, peeling paintwork and round three pin sockets that must be from another age, there were normal sockets but could not understand why these were there. Reception staff were not very helpful if you had a complaint and after witnessing this first hand on our arrival did not bother to complain to them the next morning as this seemed a complete waste of our time. Would advise checking with them before arriving as to whether you have a room as on our arrival they were in the process of bumping a couple to another hotel even though they had booked their accommodation a month in advance and we had booked on the day we arrived, the hotels excuse was that they were full and were not prepared to do anything other than move them at the couples expense!!!!! There are better hotels in the vicinity and would suggest you only use this as a last resort if needed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Please accept my apologies that the accommodation did not meet your expectations.

All of our staff are trained to deliver a high level of customer service to all guests and I'm disappointed to read that you based your opinion on another guests experience, not that of your own.

I am aware of some reservation issues at the time you stayed with us which affected a small number of guests, however any guests who were inconvenienced were compensated for this.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Stayed her on a Saturday night for a night out. Hotel very central near railway, shopping and not to far to broad street.
The room was ok not enough lighting in the room though, difficult for doing make up ect.
Breakfast large selection and typical of buffet style.
Overall it was clean n room bad size ideal for what we wanted.

• Stayed October 2011
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, October 12, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our location perfect for your requirments.

Your comments will be passed onto the rest of the Staff who will be equally pleased with your review.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

shropshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

just returned from weekend in britannia bham. as i grew up it bham and have most of my large family still there, i moved out and stay there reg in hotels. this is 1st and last time i will stay there. got room only on 2nd floor over looking the high st. room had not been cleaned in a long time. could write in dust on top of tv. tea marks on dresser that were easily wiped away. bathroom was very un-hygenic and dirty. decor needs a make over. walls had all sorts of stains and i dont want to know what the stain on the chair was. toilet seat was old and cheap and broke. bed was very uncomfortable but the things that kept us awake all night were the lack of double glazing meant we had to listen to the man sat outside playing electric drums. everyone singing in the street. but putting double glazing in wont keep the noise from inside the hotel out. the man using the toilet upstairs. everytime someones toilet was flushed or bath run was very loud. banging on doors late at night then listening to a neigbour complaining to the people banging on doors, turned into a full blown row between a tired guest and a load of drunks. as for electrics lol being blonde i thought i couldnt plug my tongs in because it was a foreign plug then my partner pointed out they are english but pre-war type so bring some of your antique plugs with you. having been very disapointed with room we did not attempt to eat there. to finish with, i think i would be very ashamed to offer this hotel - called britannia in centre of bham - to any foreign visitor to our beautyfull city. the owners should be ashamed. thank you.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

All comments good and bad are passed onto staff and relevant departments. We pride ourselves on our customer service and I am very sorry that you did not receive the normal high levels of customer service.

Once again please accept my apologises for the Hotel not living up to your expectations.

Should you be visiting Birmingham in the near future please contact us as we would like to take the opportunity to prove to you that you can have a relaxing and enjoyable stay at The Britannia Hotel Birmingham.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Like many others here, I got the rooms online at a discount. I stayed on the 5th floor, and for the price I got it was worth it. I stayed for a couple of nights and had a room that faced out into the alleyway it was mostly quiet except for Saturday night. Terrible view though. Experiences seem to be hit-or-miss, but this was a hit for me.

My package didn't include meals, so I can't comment on the food. The lobby is definitely shabby. And anyone can stroll through the lobby right into the elevators and into the hallways without permission. They can't enter the rooms without a keycard, but the thought of undesirables lurking the hallways is scary enough. Oh, and the lifts are seriously grotty. That carpet isn't worth looking at.

No wifi internet in the room is absolutely ridiculous. Even tiny B&Bs have wifi in-room now. Britannia definitely needs to rethink this one. But then again it doesn't seem to have hurt them much. From what I could tell from reception conversations, the hotel was pretty much fully booked for the duration of my stay.

The good stuff: the room was clean. The lobby staff was polite, the cleaning staff not so much. I think they need to learn that "Do Not Disturb" is not Estonian for "Knock on my door and ask when I'm leaving so you can clean the place." The bathroom was nice. The shower was HOT and high pressure. The bed was comfortable, I slept well. Kettle, tea, coffee = nice touch. The hotel location is perfect, practically unmissable if you've ever been to Birmingham and hard-to-miss even if you haven't.

To be honest I'm a teensy bit disappointed that the stay went so well. I was hoping to have something to complain to Ian "Well you should of said something" Davenhill about, but it wasn't to be. If you can get a room for under £30 a night (even the hotel signs say the rooms are worth about £37, so don't overpay) and you luck out and get a clean room, you should be pretty satisfied as well.

The "average" rating is for the annoying cleaning staff, the lack of wifi in rooms, the bad view, the noise in the alleyway on the weekend and the grotty lift. Work on those, Britannia.

Room Tip: If your room is dirty or noisy, insist on a new one. Good rooms are clearly there to be had.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and found no reason to complain.

The comments you made with regards to Housekeeping will be passed on and improvements in standards and training will be addressed.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Having stayed in many hotels in many counties I can say that this is the most awful place I've ever experienced. Poor quality rooms, dirty, bad service.......you name it, it's got it.

Room Tip: pick another hotel
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

I am sorry that the Hotel failed to meet your standards at this time and wish that you had brought this to our attention as it would have given us the opportunity to address your concerns first hand, and allowed you to leave the Hotel with a more favourable opinion.

Hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

Dear oh dear. Stay Away, You have been warned!

Me and my husband stayed in this place, which I cannot even bring myself to call a hotel.
I would liken it to more like a dirty brothel, squat or bail hostel for drug users or dossers.

We arrived here on Friday 30th at about 10-11pm. luckily we were only here for the one evening. As soon as I saw the outside I felt sickened to the stomach. The building is grey and the nets up at the windows look like they have never seen detergent. They are probably moulded to the wire, which is holding them up. It was like the house from the munsters. The access to the Britannia was gained by a side entrace, down a small alleyway which smelt so bad of urine I nearly threw up. Outside were a couple of miscreants which made me feel as though we would be robbed of our valubles.

After getting over that trauma we waited in reception behind the family from shameless who were obviously at home in these surroundings.
We collected our keys to room 714 and made our way to the lift which had again seen better days and it chugged up to the 7th floor. We arrived safetly. Out of the lift I was not supprised to see that not only was the decor just as bad, but the walls were dirty and again the nets were grey, up at the grey dirty windows.

We arrived at our room. It overlooked a middle part of the hotel and all you could see was in to other peoples rooms and on to dark metal beams. I felt as though I was in a prison, but worse.
The wallpaper was dotted with a pattern, but then my husband indicated to me that it was in fact where people had rubbed the dotts off and words like "I woz ere" had been etched in to the wall. Very classy eh? Not!.

The carpet was so dirty that it looked as though it had not seen a hoover since being laid down. I resorted to wearing my shoes the whole time. The bed, although was suposed to be a double was 2 x single beds pushed together. The bedding appeared clean but had a bad smell to it. I seriously was so traumatised by my surroundings that I feared that we would either be robbed at knife point by an armed gang forcing thir way in to our room or that the building would burn to the ground due to its shabby/dirty/unkempt appearence. I did not sleep a wink, oh and I probably wouldn't have anyway due to the drunken louts , which this hotel attracts who were shouting abuse throughout the night. I believe that ---- is a word that is probably the vocabulary reguarly used by customers at the Brittania.

I decided to get in to the shower, which I can say, although was not great, was clean enough for me to grit my teeth and get on with it. The plug sockets were all from the 1960's, except for one. Seriously this is 2011!!!!!!!!!!

I just couldn't wait to get out of this place. It was a Nightmare of all Nightmares.
We have since returned and found that we are both covered in flea bites. They may even be bed bugs bites. I feel dirty and disgusted and have sought medical treatment

Clearly the phrase cheap and chearful does not reflect this place , more like Dark, Dingy, Dirty for Druggies and Drunks.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest

I feel I cannot respond to this review as I find it to be an untrue reflection of the standard and of the Guests who use the Hotel.

south wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

stayed, sorry staying in room 321, a little small? but great big window looking out over the street. great view, left this review early, will leave another review after i check out. havnt been down for breakfast yet. paid £58.00 for 2 nites B+B booked direct with hotel, as booking.com was £76.00 for room only and £100 for B+B. room is a little dated, but hey i paid 29.00 B+B for two people. the fact that breakfast is £10.50 each X2 = £21.00 meanS i actually paid £8.00 for two people in a room in the center of birmingham, and i mean center. primark next door and below.
Negatives? only one plug socket, all the other sockets are pre 1920's socket with round conectors lol. as im on my laptop which was flat, means i cant charge my mobile.
cleaning? needs a little attention, dusty bits every where IF you LOOK . there is a bit of chewing gum stuck into the carpet, so would be good if they got a razor blade and trimmed it out, thought i would tell them what to use in case thery didnt know how to remove it. cheap toiletb rolls.

clean sheets, a tele with free view. nice new kettle and selection of teas and coffees, clean cups and little teapot. nice furniture, nice lamps, nice chair, nice toiletry selection, and very clean towels.
I am a very fussy person, after booking this hotel and then reading reviews? i was not looking forward to it.
I do not give this a 5 star rating likely. but i feel for price and location, this place is awsume.
so please look out for my follow up review which i will leave in a few days.
thanks

Room Tip: room 321. at the front over looking main street. small compact but nice.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmbritannia, General Manager at Britannia Hotel Birmingham, responded to this review, October 4, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review,

I am delighted that the Hotel exceeded your expectations and by your more than favourable comments, I shall pass them onto the rest of the staff.

I am so happy that you took the opportunity to see first hand that some of the negative reviews are totally unjustified and are not a clear representation of the hotel.

Thank you so much and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Regards

Been to Britannia Hotel Birmingham? Share your experiences!