“Noisy Room + Uncomfortable Bed.......” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Noisy Room + Uncomfortable Bed.......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

Was part of a conference and the hotel was booked for us.

Location: Very convenient for city centre...and its about a 20minute walk from NewStreet Train station (unless you get lost...which I managed to do). They have a car park for guests...they have a 24hour rate which I can't remember now but seemed quite reasonable.

Staff: Very friendly.

Rooms: Hallways are a bit dated (carpet in stairwell is faded and have holes). The rooms are a good size. The toilet and bathroom are separate. The bath is really narrow...they should just do away with it and leave the shower. But overall it was clean,bright and had good water pressure.

The mattress was hard and the 2 'pillows' were as flat as pancakes. Was unfortunately there on St Patrick's day and the noise from the street was quite loud...isn't double glazing meant to cut down sound? The next night was slightly better but street noise was still an issue.
Needless to say I didn't get much sleep.

Internet: You can pay to use it in your room (free in the upgrade package). They also have two iMACs in the lobby which are free to use.

In retrospect....I should have paid the additional cash to upgrade my room.....then again, the Hyatt Hotel was just a short walk down the street.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, June 18, 2010
Firstly I would like this guest for their comments and the positive and constructive way in which they have made their feelings known. I feel for any guest, when they say they had a disturbed night and would sympathise.
The Novotel Birmingham Centre is on Broad Street, a busy and very popular destination for weekend night life. We are working with the local emergency services to reduce the siren noise and are currently reviewing our glazing/sound proofing. Rooms nearer to Broad St have double glazing however it is a consideration to introduce a further layer of secondary double glazing this summer.
We will also always give priority to guests who wish to have room away from the front of the hotel, as rooms towards the rear of the hotel appear to suffer much less from this issue. Since this guest stayed we have reviewed all pillows throughout the hotel and replaced those that were in need. We also provide wrapped extra pillows in every room for guests convenience.
I hope that this guest will consider the Novotel for their next visit to Birmingham, whereupon we can display our commitment to a 'good nights sleep' for every guest! Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2010

Had some difficulty finding as computer put on other side of street on corner of Granville Street
Actually hotel is opposite. Met manager after checking in and mentioned TA reviews to him. He confirmed rooms had been refurbished. Room was good with settee and large screen TV with good selection of stations.
Felt cold and duty manager brought me another duvet.
The separate toilet would be convenient for couples, but could do with small hand wash basin.
Did not eat in hotel as wanted a Balti and went opposite to Bombay Mix
where surprised to find table cloths cutlery and beer. Very convenient and good, see restaurant reviews.
I paid a conference rate of £70, room rate listed was £186, but reception said could do special offer on application.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Firstly can I thank this guest for their review. (I do remember chatting to you in Reception and I am glad you again had an enjoyable stay with us!)
Many Novotel regular guests will know that one of our brand standards, when many of the hotels were built in the UK, was to have a seperate toilet. Popular with some guests and a slight annoyance to others. I would also hope that this matter wouldn't be the deciding factor for returning to Novotel? We will however review the hand washing/sanitizing facilities.
Thank you for all of your positive comments and I hope we will see you in the hotel again very soon.
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2010

I needed a functional hotel in Birmingham just for an overnight stay before early morning onward travel. That's exactly what I got: clean, warm, quiet enough, good location. The spa/fitness centre was closed for refurbishment, but this wasn't revealed until after the booking, which was a bit irritating. Obviously, travelling in January on a Sunday night for work doesn't set you up for a great experience, but what's slightly worrying is that the only other interesting thing to report is that the shoe shine machine came in handy, and I never quite worked out how to use the orange juicer at breakfast.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
I am sorry that this guest felt uninspired by their visit, we do strive to ensure every guest feels special and I will be working with my team to ensure we are focused on this throughout 2010 and on into 2011, not only when we are at our businest but also on those quiter evenings. I am delighted to be able to inform you that we are starting our public area imrpovements this summer, so hopefully next time you visit us, you will experience a fresh new Novotel Birmingham Centre. Thank you for reading my response to these comments.
Nottinghamshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2010

We stayed at the hotel for jut one night but that one night was simply great! From the minute we checked in at the friendly desk we were taken care of! The room was spotless, the bed comfortable and the food delicious. All the staff were kind, curteous and very professional.
All in all an excellent experience! Thank you!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Can I thank this customer for their positive review. It is always really appreciated by the team, when we receive great comments. We do strive to ensure every guests feels this way on departure and hope that any potential guest reading this review will book ther next stay in Birmingham at the Novotel. Thank you.
Haywards Heath, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

Having stayed at this hotel before I was looking forward to returning for an engagement party on Broad Street. The location is fantastic, the rooms are very comfortable and the breakfast buffet has a wide selection of hot and cold foods.....yet again could not complain about these.

What I am upset about is that a few small items were stolen from my girlfriend's suitcase.....leggings, some foundation and hair clips. OK so these are small items and individually I would think that my girlfriend had simply left them at home but I know she used the foundation and hair clips on our first morning there (we stayed two nights) and placed the foundation back in her make-up bag and clips back in her suitcase. Imagine our surprise to coming back to our room to find these random items were no longer in these places.

We commented to staff who basically insinuated that we were lying.....why would we lie about such small things? They did in the end agree to let us replace the items and they would re-imburse us for them but at no point was an apology forthcoming and throughout we were treated as if we were the dishonest ones. I am still awaiting a reply from the hotel as to the outcome of their "investigations" but I suspect they will tell us that they believe the items removed themselves of their own accord as it couldn't possibly have been anyone to do with the hotel. I am expecting an offer of compensation for the distress my girlfriend went through from the knowledge that someone had gone through all of her things.

I would recommend this hotel on location and comfort but make sure all of your posessions no matter how small are locked up away from prying hands.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
As the hotel General Manager, I contacted this guests on return from annual leave and made a personal apology. Our investigations could not prove that any member of my team had been in their room, however I could not dispute that the items mentioned had been moved/taken. As a gesture of goodwill, the guest was recompensed for their loss and invited back to experience the hotel services.
I hope that any potential guest reading this would have confidence in our security and take an overveiw of all of the positive comments from other guests. For information, we provide safes in every bedroom and a key locking system which identifies all entrance and exit from all bedrooms.
Thank you.
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

The public areas are lovely, excellent restaurant, welcoming and helpful staff. However the superior double room we had was definitely not of 4star standard. The carpet was really stained and marked and the furnishings (cushions etc) were of cheap quality. Everything was clean and well-kept however - maybe time for a makeover of the rooms? Would stay again however, the bed was really comfortable!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your comments. I am delighted to be able to inform you that we have now upgraded our soft furnishings in our bedrooms and started a carpet replacement project this summer.
In addition to this we carrying out further improvements to our public areas, so hopefully our guests wil consider that they are not only great but fantastic.
I encourage any potential guest reading this comment to 'come and try our facilities for yourself', as we are very proud of our hotel and strive to ensure that every guest leaves satisfied. Thank you for reading my response.
Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

Chose this for a one night stay for an event at the ICC, which is a 5 minute walk along Broad Street. The Hyatt has a direct walkway but costs more than twice as much. The room was clean, the staff were helpful, but the bed was uncomfortably firm, the breakfast was cold and the carpets in the corridor (5th floor) looked as if they needed cleaning. 24 hour parking for £13 was very welcome and useful for a 1 day event after checkout.. For a 4 star, no frills, but perfectly OK.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
We will take on board the comments this guest has made and thank them for taking the time to post their thoughts.
At Novotel we strive to be as competitive as we can in an extemely competitive market place, whilst providing our guests a 4 star service. On this occasion we obviously didn't quite get everything right, however you can be assured that the issues mentioned have been addressed in no uncertain terms with my team. Our Service Extraordinaire and NeXT (training) Programs are designed specifically with service and operations in mind. All employees are now absorbing the cultures of these programs, which will ensure that every member of the team knows the value of their duties and can knowingly put them into practice in their day to day lives.
I hope we will see this guest back in the hotel in the future, whereupon they can see the true Novotel customer experience.

Been to Novotel Birmingham Centre? Share your experiences!