“Comfortable and well placed in Birmingham” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
Sussex girl
“Comfortable and well placed in Birmingham”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Comfortable room and bed. Bathroom perfectly adequate and all very clean. I did think the bath was on the small side if you like a dip but the shower was very efficient.
The lighting in the bedroom ladies, as is often the case, is not very good for make-up application - easy to over-egg the pudding so get someone to make sure you don't end up with a Bridget Jones blusher look! Bathroom lighting is better but not much.
Hotel designers please take note, a lot of women like to sit before a mirror to do hair and make-up, the bathroom is not the location of choice for this activity, so please consider well the placement of good liighting, mirrors and elecricity outlets (for hair straighteners etc.) within bedrooms.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, November 22, 2012
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I have taken note of your comments and we are adressing this isue with our new NeXT Generation of bedrooms. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Birmingham Centre very soon.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
bristol
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

The separate loo is a bit dingy and the shower completely soaked the bathroom floor but all in all, excellent value for money with a really good breakfast included.
Also we left something behind which housekeeping returned to us very swiftly by post.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
We at the Novotel Birmingham Centre very much appreciate all your thoughts. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and have noted all your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Rugby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is the first time that we've stayed at a Novotel Hotel as usually it's too expensive for us. We got a great deal booking ahead online though which made it a worthwhile option over the Travelodge

The staff were superb - a special mention needs to go to the gentlemen behind the reception desk as he was so helpful right from when we arrived and I asked about parking (available underground) to when we left. He had a map ready for us and gave us lots of information on the city centre and where different districts were

The hotel was very comfortable and the room was a lovely clean and comfortable room. The loo was separate to the main bathroom - I would prefer if they were together myself but I can understand that other people might prefer this layout!

The location is ideal for us, being in our late twenties. It's located on Broad Street where a large amount of comedy clubs, night clubs, restaurants and bars. We spent the night out on the town so this was perfect

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your first stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Please do call and ask for our best avaiable rate, when next you are thinking of a night in Birmingham? Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
Leicestershire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel for just the one night, as I was attending a work awards function. Both times I had to speak to the reception they were super helpful, and very warm and welcoming.

We had a comfortable stay at this hotel, and in the morning the breakfast was very nice with again warm and friendly staff.

Would recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments, especially about the team! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
Bewdley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Great location for the city centre. Hotel was clean, decor modern, staff were welcoming and friendly. The room had everything you needed for your stay. Good selection at breakfast including both continental and hot breakfast. The hotel was secure - residents had to use a card to access lifts and stairs. Also secure underground parking which is difficult to find in most city centre hotels.
I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Birmingham Centre and making particular reference to the team and the hospitality they provide, is very pleasing! We look forward to your next visit. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

We booked Novotel for a Hen Weekend in October 2012 for 10 people through late rooms for £59.00 per room which we didn't think was too bad for a 4* hotel in Central Birmingham. I had previously stayed a number of times at the Hilton nearby which was originally at the same price but as time went on the Hilton went up in price and the Novotel was much cheaper so we decided to try it.

We booked at least 3 months in advance and 4 weeks before we were due to arrive I called to check we could book in early (11.30 instead of 14.00). I was told this would all be fine and had been put onto the system. However when we arrived on the day I was told early check-ins were not done and our rooms were not ready.

The gentleman on reception did try his best to help and over the next hour we finally were placed in 5 rooms in different areas of the hotel... not our original 5 rooms together but at least we were checked in and could go for some lunch!

Overall the hotel rooms were clean and comfortable. We opted for twin rooms which is a double bed and a double sofa bed. I had the sofa bed which was reasonably comfortable and my friend was happy with the normal double as well. The TV in the room didn't have a great selection of channels and the internet has to be connected through a wire. I believe there was wi-fi available but you had to pay for it so we decided not to.

The room I shared was one of the furtherest from the road (Broad Street) but the road noise was consistent throughout the night and I was surprised that the windows were not double glazed (at least not in our room). I managed to sleep through it but I do know some other members of the group found it a little more difficult.

Also the decor is lovely downstairs in the lobby, but as you move upstairs you can see the wear and tear a lot easier and some of it (the doors in the bedrooms in particular) look very old and worn.

The parking was good, it seemed very secure under the hotel and easy to sort out by paying at reception.

All in all if I were to stay in this area of Birmingham again I would probably opt for the Hilton over the Novotel. Being that little bit further back from the road the Hilton has much less road noise and the rooms were of a much higher spec. If you book early enough you will pay about the same rate as well.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
We at the Novotel Birmingham Centre very much appreciate all your thoughts!!! We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and have noted all your comments. I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back in the near future, whereupon I am confident that you will find the Novotel Birmingham great value for the rate you pay.
caerphilly
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed in this hotel only for one night.The check-in was smooth enough with friendly staff.
The room was clean and well appointed.
The beds were comfortable with crisp white bedding.
I had breakfast included in the price I paid and there is a varied choice.
The hotel is slap bang in the middle of Broad street where there are a lot of pubs/clubs/restaurants and we encountered some noise from police sirens but nothing too major.
The hotel is just a 10 min walk from New street station.
To sum this hotel up it offers good value for money as long as it is booked at a fair price as I have stayed in other Novotel hotels and this hotel does not quite come up to their standard but I did pay £60.00 per night less to stay in this hotel but I would definately stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the rear of the hotel if you are a light sleeper!!