“Paid 134 quid per night for hairs in the bath and rude service.” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Ranked #39 of 138 Hotels in Birmingham
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Paid 134 quid per night for hairs in the bath and rude service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I booked an executive room because it stated online that it came with free broadband. It turned out *wifi* was (exorbitantly) chargeable... You had to connect with a wire to get the free connection. (I have a macbook air and can't connect with a wire.) The Nespresso machine in the room was broken. Cups had other people's lipstick stains/ coffee stains on them. The bathroom was a disaster too. There was a foul smell when I turned on the taps to the sink. A tap fixture fell off when I turned on the bath taps! There were hairs in the bath. The bedroom was stuffy. I called reception (at about 5pm on the day I checked in) and said "the air conditioning appears to be broken". The gentleman told me "I'll get a member of the maintenance team to your room tomorrow." Tomorrow!! I was staying for *one* night!! I complained and asked to speak to someone more senior. The lady who came on the line told me it was *not* aircon but "a ventilation system" and assured me that it was working. It didn't really work to cool the room. I paid £134!! This was ridiculous for the state of the room and the quality of service. I was really quite dissatisfied and will not stay at this Novotel again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
I am sincerely sorry to hear that you didn’t find the service at Novotel Birmingham Centre up to your expectations. I can assure you that they are not up to mine or that of my team either! We pride ourselves on our employee training, so this is something I will be looking into personally, to ensure that no other guest has your experience. Please feel free to call me on 0121 643 2000 or email me on richard.marsh@accor.com to discuss further.
I do hope that we can change your view and welcome you back for an experience, that the majority of our guests enjoy!
To clarify, it is an air handling system that we have, rather than air conditioning, however this should bring the temperature in all rooms to a satisfactory level, whereupon the guest can raise the temp in the room with the thermostat, if so desired.
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Darlington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Having a one night stay in the novotel i was very disappointed with this hotel.the room was dirty,blood on the wall in the toilet and i dont think it was cleaned for a week i.e carpet in need of a good hoover and empty crisp packets on the floor.the only good thing is the location on board street.receiption staff were not very friendly just a smlie would do, also the carpark is £15 over night but all honestly birmingham is an excellent night out especially on board street but i would never recomend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
NovotelBirminghamGM, General Manager at Novotel Birmingham Centre, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
As General Manager, I too am disappointed with your experience! It does not reflect the experience which we wish all guests to have at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matters you have raised. I hope you will alter your opinion and give us an opportunity to show that we can provide hospitality which you and all guests can expect! Feel free to call me on 01216432000 or email me on h1077@accor.com to discuss this further, if you so wish?
Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
broadwell
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Have stayed at this hotel four occasions, and generally we have been satisfied with food and service, rooms have been fine for a one night or weekend stay, and have always had a decent nights sleep, But our visit this weekend sept.15th. was the noisiest room i have ever tried to sleep in, our room number 422 is to be avoided and rooms on that side of the Hotel,constant cars hooting every few minutes boy racers burning around small roundabout, ended about 5am.More peace on hard shoulder of m1.Glazing is nowhere near adequate to lower noise levels.may be better on a week night but dont.take a chance.

Room Tip: do not accept this room unless you party till five am.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your feedback and I’m sorry truly sorry that you were disturbed in such a manner. I am personally looking into this matter, as although we cannot legislate for rowdy behaviour outside of the hotel, I am disappointed that the local street wardens and police did not deal with this matter more appropriately! I will also review the sound proofing of the room you have mentioned, as this was recently upgraded and we will have to ensure that no damage has been done by a previous guest to allow for lower insulation.
I hope we can change your opinion and welcome you back to the hotel very soon?
Reykjavik, Iceland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I arrived at Novotel Birmingham on August 27th and when I entered the room there was some tissue paper and used shampoo bottle on the chair, the bath was dirty and there were long black hairs in it. The bed was lumpy and I kept falling out of it during the night. The breakfast was OK. The staff was really friendly and the location is great. I would not reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Birmingham Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed elements of your stay and you can be assured that I have noted your comments, which I will be addressing with our Housekeeping dept.
We would like to think that all guests would feel comfortable enough to bring any matters to our attention at the time, so we can correct such issues immediately. Fortunately I can confirm that matters of this kind, occur rarely at Novotel Birmingham Centre.
I hope we can alter your view of a return visit, when you consider the views of other reviewers and that this was an isolated matter.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Stayed here with the family for a few days during August. The hotel was modern & clean and provides a good stay when on a budget. The location was great as it is right on Broad street and easy to find somewhere to eat, although I would say that it is more suited to business stays, friends or couples.

Underground parking was perfect for us and was not that expensive considering the hotel location.

The hotel staff are nice and friendly and I wouldnt hesitate to use the group again but maybe just for business trips.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Novotel Birmingham Centre and I hope to see you on your next trip. We work hard to ensure that all customers can find something special about Novotel and our Family @ Novotel experience should not be missed! I have taken on board your comments and will ensure the team are focused on ensuring that all aspects of the hotel are explained to every guest. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Stayed at Novotel on sept 1st for wedding reception, rooms was very clean and modern and staff was fantastic and really friendly. Overall great hotel would recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in Birmingham as its location is fantastic on broad street with all it's bars and restaurants and a short walk to city centre shops.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Birmingham and the wedding function you attended, here at the hotel, went so smoothly!. We very much look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Birmingham Centre. Kind regards, Richard Marsh, General Manager.

Been to Novotel Birmingham Centre? Share your experiences!