“Great overnight stay” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great overnight stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

I was attending a conference at the ICC and needed to stay over night. Check in was straight forward and room was really good. Very modern and extremely clean. Shower was lovely. Bed very, very comfortable had a great nights sleep. All staff were very friendly, but very efficient very good staff. The only let down was the breakfast, just not cooked well enough for me and lacked taste, however that is the ONLY negative. Overall very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Daksha_Mistry, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear amy c,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am very pleased to read that you found the bed to be very comfortable ensuring you had a great nights sleep. I am also glad that you found our staff to be friendly and efficient. I am however disappointed to read that you were not happy with our breakfast. We always strive to provide a great British breakfast and are sorry that this was not ensured on this occasion. I have passed your comments on to the Head Chef, as we always value feedback and look at ways that we can make improvements.

I look forward to your next stay with us.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Turkish first
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Ideally located closed to New Street station. Spend two days there on a works conference. The conference facilities were excellent with all the equipment working without the usual fuss you get setting up projectors etc. The customer service was very good and the staff friendly and helpful, the only downside was the quality of the food. Lunch was a lukewarm selection of beef in red wine or curry selection not at all appealing, but the evening meal was awful suggest finding a local restaurant if your staying here.
Seen a few reviews about the view, it's Birmingham folks and no matter where you look it's going to be concrete after concrete!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Daksha_Mistry, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear ASM9633,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very pleased to hear that you found our conference facilities to be excellent and our staff to be friendly and helpful. I am however disappointed to hear that you were not happy with the quality our food and sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. I have passed your comments on to our Head Chef, as it is through valuable feedback, such as yours, that we can identify areas for improvement.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre again soon.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

An uninviting glass and concrete edifice in the middle of a Lego land of similar buildings. Functional and well located to serve as a conference centre. Polished and efficient staff who remain surprisingly quite jovial in drab surroundings. Full marks for an excellent buffet lunch – a range of options perfectly cooked and well presented.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear timeagain,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am delighted to hear that you found the lunch options for your conference to be excellent and that you found our staff to be efficient.

We look forward to your next visit to our hotel.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Great location for the NIA, rooms are very nice, clean and well equipped which is exactly what I expected. Disappointed there was no mini-bar in the room (I was in an Executive room on 10th or 11th floor). Will certainly be back.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are no bigger than standard rooms!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear retreat6928,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am glad to read that you find our location to be great and that you find our rooms to be very nice and well equipped. I am sorry to read that you were not happy with not having a mini bar and apologise for the inconvenience this caused you. However for future stays, you can have non alcoholic beverages 24 hours in the Club Lounge, with the alcoholic service from 5.30pm-7.30pm. Also our Room Service is available 24 hours for food and beverages.

I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel again soon in the near future.

Worcester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Good hotel at a reasonable price, polite staff at reception, room was perfectly adequate, view of derelict buildings was interesting, aircon was a little noisy but not too bad. Fire alarm went off at 02.00 in the morning due to what was described as a technical fault (so nobody got a very good night sleep), everyone gathered outside but no role call so good job the hotel wasn’t on fire, back in our room after 30 mins but took another 30 mins for the alarm to be silenced (if it wasn’t that long it certainly seemed like it) Still hotel dealt with the issue the next morning so all good. Would use again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear KevWorcester,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre. I am very pleased to read that you were happy with the location of the hotel and with the service provided by our staff at reception. I am however disappointed to read that your stay was disrupted by the fire alarm sounding. This was due to a technical fault with the system, which has never happened at the hotel before and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this caused you.

I am very glad that the situation was dealt with by our staff the next morning and we look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again in the near future.

Sheffield
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

First of all we were told that it was a disabled access car park & my friend is a wheelchair user. We parked in the car park only for there to be a flight of stairs to the hotel we then had to drive to the front of the hotel to drop my friend & luggage off (no help offered).

Finally got all our luggage to the main foyer only to be told that our rooms had been double booked & we would have to go elsewhere! Staff explained that they had found rooms at another hotel but this was at extra cost to us. Of course I argued that it was not our fault that our rooms had been given away & it was agreed that they would pay the extra. She couldn't even be bothered to give us the postcode, just directed us when we are not from the area.

The car park charge was £14 which I was not paying for 20 mins, the manager agreed to let me out but she didn't look pleased. When we got to the next hotel the staff there liased for us to confirm the price. The crowne plaza said that our rate was double than what I had on my confirmation letter said, (the manager at the new hotel agreed). When I spoke to the manager she basically told me it was my fault but that I could claim it back later when I sent them my confirmation which I begrudgingly agreed to.

I can't say what the rooms are like as obviously we didn't get there! Hopefully they are not always like this & I'm sure it's not common as they have such good reviews but i would definitely never book there again!

• Stayed September 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear April J,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and surpass the very high standards our guests expect.

I am truly sorry to hear your troubles with your reservation and the poor customer service you received from our staff. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you and deeply regret the poor experience and service issues you had during your visit.

Guest comfort is of the utmost concern to us and our hotels are committed to making every possible effort to provide a comfortable environment. As such, your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future improvements where possible. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope that you give us a chance to change your perception of our hotel.

Dhan M
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

I find that Birmingham as a whole, has a lot of extremely over-priced hotels which do not offer value for money. The Crowne Plaza is not one of those hotels.

I think this hotel provides what it says on the tin. Nice clean rooms. Nice toiletry, decent Television with good channels and good food. Good service as well. As a regular Business traveler its so good to finally find a hotel in Birmingham that is comfortable and in a good location.

P.S yes the air condition is quite loud but I am yet to stay in a fully air-conditioned hotel (even hotels with the centrally air-conditioned rooms) where the air-conditioning doesn't make noise. lol! Though the air-conditioning here is louder than most. lol!

Three observations>

a) why don't they put bin liners in the bins? seems strange. The first night I thought it was just an omission from house keeping but on my second stay I realized that is just the way it is.
b) why isn't there a hotel guide in the room? There seem to be lots of brochures but none that give full details of the hotel. You know things like gym opening times and other facilities guides.
c) The gym needs more equipment. There is space for more equipment. I'd recommend some Belt suspension training equipment. This will enable more rounded full body strength training without taking up too much space. P.S ( Gym ceiling needs a lick of paint)

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Birmingham City Centre? Share your experiences!