“Why bother?” 1 of 5 stars

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Piquant Restaurant
Moseley | 18 St. Marys Row, Birmingham B13 8JG, England (Moseley and Kings Heath)
Improve this listing
Ranked #236 of 1,591 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Moseley and Kings Heath
Chelmsford
“Why bother?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Okay, I'll start by admitting I'm not a fan of your average curry house, but this is the kind of place which confirms my prejudices. I was in Birmingham on business so stayed with my sister in law who smokes like a chimney and burnt all her taste buds off years ago. To begin with I didn't like the way the waiter gave me several knowing smirks because I was with a regular woman customer who has visited several times with different friends, as if to suggest I was on to a winner. Neither did I like the CD of cover versions of rock anthems they were playing far too loudly and the CD kept sticking. In terms of ambient music and decor they're obviously trying to move away from the curry house stereotype but they haven't done this with the food. I ordered a lamb dish with kashmiri rice, my sister in law ordered a 'meat' something or other and a different kind of rice. Another waiter duly arrived with two bowls of identical rice which had obviously been nuked under upturned bowls in the microwave. As he placed them on the table he hesitated for a moment and then swapped them around, assuring us this was the correct rice each of us had ordered. They were obviously identical but rather than admitting they'd got it wrong and taking them back he assumed we were too stupid or ignorant not to know or notice. The two main courses arrived and, despite the totally different descriptions on the menu, tasted almost identical. this is food that's thrown together with contempt for the customer and I couldn't wait to get the hell out. My new year's resolution is not to waste my time, money or tastebuds on this kind of place and I would urge others to do the same.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Skimpy but tasty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

Party of meat eaters and vegetarians all agreed food was good but portions were skimpy. Main courses not much more than starter-sized.... and none of us are what I would call greedy! Asked when we sat down if we would like poppadums, the implication being that they were complimentary [they are not!]. They arrived with standard relishes/sauces for which there was a separate, completely overpriced charge. Only discovered this when we got the bill. Seems rather underhand way of squeezing money out of customers. House wine ok but overpriced at £14.95 for something I think I recognise from the local Co-op for around a fiver! Main front of house person [proprietor?] very welcoming, waiter rather stern.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Pattaya, Thailand
“Indifferant”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013 via mobile

Being served different things to what's on the menu,after asking specifically what was what,and made to feel it my fault ,don't know if I will bother again.

Visited November 2013
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Have been here a few time with my family and friends and also ordered take away. The food has also been delicious there is a great selection on the menu. Wine list is good,but I think you are also allowed to bring your own alcohol which is also good.

Visited October 2013
Birmingham
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

As a group of four - one with a walking disability and couldn't climb stairs easily, we asked to be seated downstairs.
Table was leaving in 10 minutes so we agreed to have a drink at the bar - guess what after 10mins the party left, cleared the table and they let a larger party just in the door sit down.
Made the required noise to the waiter, they offered a drink on the house, but we felt so diminshed, that we said we would go else where and eat. To which the aggressive waiter replied "F_ _ K you"
Off course he didn't say it when pulled up about it and became derogatory towards us, with some choice homophobic language.
Had a great meal at Imlees across the road, but just saddened that the event ever took place.

• Visited October 2013