“A quirky dungeon of a club with good music on a Friday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Vaults

The Vaults
Newhall Place | Newhall Hill, Birmingham B1 3JH, England (Ladywood)
+44 (0) 121 212 9837
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #700 of 1,608 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: English
Good for: Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: With the rich surroundings of Birmingham���s Jewellery Quarter as its backdrop, The Vaults is among the city���s most celebrated restaurants. Set below a Victorian building one might expect gloom, but this restaurant is utterly contemporary, comfortable and light. Panton S chairs and seriously arty photography show an eye for design and style while brick arches furnished with sofas provide cosy spaces for romantic cocktails or swapping gossip. Headed up by Keith Brown, who comes via Bank and The Jam House, the kitchen provides a stunning British and European menu reliant on local, fresh and quality produce and simple, sympathetic and unfussy techniques. An impressive selection of wines and champagnes are the icing on The Vaults��� extremely tempting cake.
“A quirky dungeon of a club with good music on a Friday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

A good atmosphere with crypt like cubicles you can curtain off (if you are unsociable). Not a huge place so is intimate and classy. Service was excellent and the barlady had a little dance with us too.

Visited May 2013

“Good all round”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

Not my first trip to the vaults as a Bar but the first as a restaurant. Good experience, the staff took good care of us and the atmosphere suited the styish nature of the bar. We didn't realise they had a Tapas option for the bar which is a nice idea as the booths or 'vaults' would work well with a group and tapas. We still chose the resturant menu and the resturant area, though small is still fitted to the same high standards. The resturant was much quieter then the bar, which to some would be perftect, personally I like a bit more atmosphere but I can't complain really. If I were to make one critisim it would be that the resturant had no music until 9pm when the bar became more lively until then we had a 'tinny' Radio 1 coming through from the kitchen. Service at the table was pleasant, the food was beautiful and really good sized portions. Good value too.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“A very pleasent evening spoilt by bouncers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was also present in the same groups as Dan (the last reviewer) and can second his comments. The occasion was a joint 30th birthday and all was well, we enjoyed the cocktail making, the food was acceptable and the atmosphere good. However, the bouncers spoilt all that. It's very easy to attempt to read between the lines of our review and think that we were being rowdy and hence the heavy handedness of the bouncer, however, this was not the case. Even the calmest attempt to reason with the two bouncers in question lead to to threat of being forcefully ejected.

The events of that night were capture on video using an iPhone, I would urge anyone who is planning a large event to to consider these reviews before considering The Vaults.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Avoid at all costs”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2013 via mobile

We went here for a cocktail making class followed by dinner and then drinks in a private booth. All was well and good until we were continuously harassed by a bouncer who accused one of our party of having their eyes closed of all things. The same bouncer then proceeded to harass us to the point where we decided it was best to leave. We were unable to make a conplaint about the bouncer as he refused to provide his identification number.

This venue is not a place for professional people, they seem more used to handling clientele that would be out on broad street. We won't be going back.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Management have a lot to learn about customer service!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Booked a booth at vaults for a small party. Arrived and was offered the waitress service but we declined it as we were right next to the bar and collectively did not mind walking 10 steps to get a drink. Was having a good night when the manager stormed into our booth and asked my name, he did not introduce himself and just invaded our space. I told him my name and he then persisted on asking me if I was sure? Understandably annoyed I asked if he knew me? He then got annoyed with me!!! Told Me there was no need to be rude and that he was the manager. I said if that was the case he should have had the decency to introduce himself. He then left and about 10 minutes later came back and apologised for his behaviour explaining that he was trying to find a free booth for some clients. I said fine and that was that. Then later in the evening one of our party got a bit comfortable and had a little nap in the booth. The manager sent security over to tell us if he sleeps he must leave! How rediculous! So you spend money hiring a booth only to be told what you can and cannot do whilst in it even though they all have curtains for privacy. We woke up our friend and he decided to leave. Then to top the evening off one of our party got accused of spitting -again by the same manager! Even after he explained that he did not do it - it was in fact the man standing next to him, the manager insisted it was him and would not let him back in. When approached the manager was again rude whilst trying to justifying his actions. This was the last straw - I told him we have felt nothing but insulted by him and we were leaving, very unhappy and will make an official complaint. I would never go back there again whilst that abnocious man is in management. Bar staff were excellent.

• Visited February 2013