“Loved it” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Edmunds

Edmunds
6 Brindleyplace | Brunswick Street, Birmingham B1 2JB, England (Ladywood)
+44 121 633 4944
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Edmunds is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #127 of 1,608 Restaurants in Birmingham
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Ladywood
Description: The Good Food Guide Midlands Restaurant of the Year for 2012, Edmunds Restaurant is set in stylish Brindleyplace - Birmingham city centre's cultural hub. Surrounded by art galleries, theatres, evening venues & plenty of stylish bars, Edmunds offers a dining experience like no other in the area.Meticulously run Head Chef Didier Philipot and his dedicated team, Edmunds provides a relaxed and refreshing approach to fine dining. The 50-seat restaurant offers a secluded escape from the daily rush or an evening's indulgence with friends, family, loved ones or colleagues. Didier been inspired by classical French methods and served simply, but effectively, the dishes at Edmunds push the boundaries each day to deliver a true dining experience for every customer, using some of the Midlands finest seasonal ingredients.
B
“Loved it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I booked a table at 6 for our wedding anniversary. We were given what I thought was the best table in the restaurant, nice and cosy in a corner with a stand for champagne at the ready. The food was excellent, each course having one or two absolutely stand-out flavours, including the amuse bouche, an awesome mushroom cappuccino, and the 'pre-desert'.
I started with the scallops, which were amazing, and my husband really enjoyed his duck. We both opted for the lamb. They asked if it was okay that it was cooked pink, which was fine by us. It was indeed very pink but still full of flavour, and there was also a ball of slow cooked lamb which we both agreed was the best thing on the plate. For desert I asked for the toffee souffle. The menu warned it took 20 minutes to cook and the waiter reiterated this. My husband ordered the rhubarb and raspberry. They arrived together, hot and fresh. My souffle was a thing of joy, perfectly matched by the bitter chocolate icecream. My husband's plate was full of interesting flavours and textures.
All in all it was a lovely evening. We were the only customers for a while because of our early booking, but the atmosphere didn't suffer for this. It was cosy and intimate with subtle music in the background. As more people arrived the atmosphere developed a pleasant buzz. The manager and waiting staff were friendly and pleasant. They were unobtrusive and yet very efficient. At no point did we feel in any way rushed.
I would certainly return for another special occasion.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Still good but something missing this visit!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

After our first visit which was fantastic we where expecting much of the same but it only appeared in small doses, the service was good but we felt rushed and that's when a few mistakes happened nothing major. Starters and Main courses where excellent but the desserts let it down really. For the price I don't think there is better value for good food in Birmingham.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great Food, small portions”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Arrived around 7:30pm for Dinner at Edmunds,
The Food is immense, ( So it should be for a Michelin star Restaurant)
The only issue I had, was that the portion sizes were very small and just about filled me up
I can't comment on the price as I didn't pay for it

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Solihull, United Kingdom
“Congratulations Didier”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We havent beenin for a while but came in last weekend as it was a birthday treat. I have to say, i can't fault Nunu, so friendly and polite and more than happy to recommend to us as the menu had a few changes since we were last in, thoighthe classic asparagus with poached egg was perfect, why do my eggs never look or taste that good!?!

The turbot was perfectly cooked, as was the veal.
Next time we're opting for the surprise tasting menu, with wine of course.

Another great night, such a lovely place to celebrate in.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“The Invisible Table”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This restaurant read very well and its location was ideal as we were staying at the Garden Inn.

As always with any good restaurant I was contacted the day before to confirm my booking. They acknowledged the special occasion (my wife's birthday) and that a member of the party was a vegetarian.
We arrived promptly at 8.30pm, to a very busy scene. Our table was near the door and surrounded by other diners. The initial feel was very flat as the staff were unenthusiastic and this feeling remained with us for the duration of our visit.

I won't pick the food to death, however suffice say it was very unimaginative. A collective word to describe the starters would have to be bland.

On to the mains... We had seen a recent sample menu and my wife had picked out a couple of possibilities, however they were no longer on the menu. She opted for the beef fillet as did another of the party. I had the lamb and our vegetarian friend had the tomato tart tatin. (She will be commenting seperately on her two courses) The other beef eater asked for his rare (this brought a glimmer of a smile to the waiters lips, unlike my wife's request for medium for which she received a scowl).
In a nutshell, our friend's steak was blue and my wife's was bluish and cold in the middle as all raw food tends to be. My first cut of the lamb produced a layer of sinew and once again the accompanying sauces on the bland side. My wife's steak went back and she decided not to have it replaced as she did not wish to dine alone. No alternative was offered, however a bottle of wine was offered by way of compensation. The moment being now well and truely lost we decided that we would decline the wine and not risk the disappointment of a poor desert. I asked that the one bottle of red already purchased be removed from the bill. This was duely done, we paid and then left.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere