“Great Experience and Friendly Staff” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #30 of 106 Restaurants in Warwick
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Bar, British, English, Brasserie
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Doing business, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Warwickshire, UK
“Great Experience and Friendly Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

We went here on an Amazon Local Voucher, 2 courses for 4 people for £38. What a bargain.

The food was delicious, well presented and arrived in a timely manner. We all tried different things off the menu and everyone loved it..... Steaks, Salmon, Sausage and Mash, all were lovely. Starters were also top class.

The staff were extremely friendly, attentive and clearly wanted us to have a nice time.

We will definitely return, lunchtime main courses are only £5 so I feel a visit coming on today! Well done Merchants.

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Warwickshire, United Kingdom
“Valentines lunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

Walked in off the street at 1pm to a half empty restaurant.
Ordered drinks and food at the bar. After 30 minutes caught the waiters attention and politely asked for the whereabouts of our food (fish cakes and daily special of steak), as all other tables had been served. The waiter grunted and went to the kitchen. On his return, he completely ignored our table and went to the bar to serve. After a further 10 minutes wait, with no sign of our food or any waiting staff, I went to the bar to request a full refund. The waiter still refused to acknowledge me or my order!!
Valentines lunch COMPLETELY ruined.
Have been loyally going to Merchants for years.
Will never be returning after this awful experience!

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

Great meal very filling,got a booking for my husbands birthday on the 15th of feb it was quite busy as it was the valentines weekend. Prices were quite good. food quality was very good, the only thing I would say is although it's quite a romantic atmosphere it was very dark at the table a little too dark for us I couldn't see my food very well but it tasted great.

Visited February 2014
“Great as usual! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

Lovely food! Great service! Great atmosphere! Had a great time! Been many times in the past and it's never failed to impress! Highly recommended!

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Great venue but left disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

I had an evening here with some friends but I found the dining experience was a bit hit and miss and overall I felt disappointed.

I paid £20 for two courses, the starter of pate, toast and caramelised onion, was quite good but the main course, a burger, salad and hand cut chips left me feeling short-changed. The burger seemed tiny and I think the bun was from a six pack from the supermarket. The salad was a simple rocket garnish with a vinaigrette and the chips were almost cold. To add insult to injury, the first pint I ordered, which was a Marston's Oyster Stout, tasted strongly of vinegar and I had to return it to the bar to be exchanged for a different drink. I also later discovered that the same main course I'd eaten is sold on the lunch time menu for £5.

I don't think my experience here is typical, because I have heard many good things from friends about this place. Credit needs to go to the staff here, they were friendly, curteous and very helpful, but it was busy on the day I went and I think they were overwhelmed. I'd also like to say this is a very pleasant venue, close to the centre of Warwick and I can imagine that it would be a great place to go for lunch or a drink, but I'm not sure I'd return for an evening meal.

• Visited February 2014