“Room for improvement” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Warwick
London
“Room for improvement”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2009

I've just had a bit of an odd experience staying at the Warwick Arms Hotel. For everything good going on there, there was something or someone that undid the hard work. For instance, the twin room I stayed in was modern and comfortable and had a new bathroom. But it was also incredibly cold; the radiator never reached hotter than luke warm and presumably this is why there was an electric heater in the cupboard with a label on it which read "Do not remove from Room 22!"

On the whole, the staff were nice. We were greeted warmly on our arrival and were checked-in by a very pleasant lady. The cleaners were very courteous. On the other hand, my friend and I fancied a drink on Sunday evening and went to the hotel bar, where we encountered the modern incarnation of Basil Fawlty. I asked him if it would be possible to get a bottle of wine and he replied "Red? White?" I asked which they have and he began reeling off varieties. I turned to my friend and said "Merlot?" and, he agreeing, I asked the guy for a bottle of the merlot. He replied "Anything else?" and I said something like "Erm, no that's it thanks" at which he point he said "What, no please, no thank you?!" and then SLAMMED the bottle of the wine on the counter. I'm really surprised it didn't smash in half. I couldn't believe his behavior. I am, by nature, a polite person and find it very hard to believe I was rude to him. I can only assume he misheard any pleases or thank you's I gave. Regardless, this is totally unacceptable behavior. Why this guy has chosen to work in a hotel I've no idea. Strangely, when I asked for the cost to be charged to my room his attitude suddenly lifted - perhaps he just treats non-guests with total contempt. If management are reading this, he is a very tall guy with brown hair parted in the centre.

On our final day, we went down for breakfast at about 9.15am. We had been told when we checked-in that breakfast is between 8-10am, yet on this day we were informed that the chef had finished breakfast at 9am. Presumably breakfast is shorter on weekdays, yet we were never told this. However, an exceptionally polite and pleasant guy made a load of toast for us and brought over a couple of yogurts and some tea. If management are reading this, the guy was tall, softly spoken and very smartly dressed.

So, a slightly strange mix, all in all. On the main, the staff were hard working and friendly, yet there is a Basil Fawlty in their midst. And although our room was cold, the hotel looks nice and is very clean and tidy.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Warwick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

My boyfriend arranged for some friends and I to stay here after a dinner in Leamington Spa. We arrived late and were checked in by a really friendly and smiley receptionist.

Our rooms (both on the ground floor) were lovely, really spacious with comfy bed, fluffy pillows, flat screen TV and walk in shower. Our room even had a sofa in (much to our friends annoyance!).

I live in Warwick and although I knew the hotel location, I didn't realise how great the rooms were.

We went to the bar and had a couple of glasses of wine (the wine list was difficult to choose from as there were at least 4 bottles we all wanted to try!). We sat in the chandelier filled lounge next to the bar which has an exclusive feel to it.

After a later than planned night we had a delicious full English breakfast the next morning with lots of tea & orange juice. The waitress was very attentive and ensured my friend (who is a vegetarian) had everything she wanted for breakfast.

I had a great stay at this hotel and I have already arranged to go back for dinner next month (with the same friends - they can have their wine choice this time!).

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

We arrived at 2pm on Saturday, tired after a 3 hour drive. We checked in and asked the receptionist about room service. We wanted a drink and some sandwiches sent up to the room as we were getting ready for a wedding, without much time to spare. The lady on reception told us that the kitchens closed at 2pm due to a function (This was at 3 mins past) and refused point blank to even check if there was any leeway. If we had had time to check in somewhere else we would have done. The rooms are small, but the real problem is that they use 5ft beds which are too small. The shower in the room had no pressure, and the water took 5mins of running to warm up. All very dissappointing.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Warwick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel with quite a few members of our extended family when we got married in May 2009. The Staff were amazing, especially Jonny and the manager (Lucy) who seemed only too happy to bend over backwards to accommodate our group.

We had a fantastic meal on the Friday night and the restaurant (despite the town centre location) was not over crowded, it was just a really nice atmosphere. The bar has local ales and the wine list is excellent!!

The hotel itself is very tastefully decorated and the rooms seem to have been recently renovated to a high standard. Although there are contemporary comforts like free wireless and flat screen TVs in the rooms, the hotel has still managed to keep a homely and traditional feel to it.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

I stayed at the Warwick Amrs whilst attending the Autumn Fair at the NEC, as a girl from New York City the thought of staying a smallish hotel in a small English town was both interesting and a bit worrying to me.

I need not have worried, firstly Warwick is an interesting place, with some good shops, obviously the castle and lots of different restaurants, its nice to be able to walk every where.

The hotel also exceded my expectations, clean, functional with good staff and a great sense of customer service.

By my second night it seemed all the staff new my name and made me feel very welcome.

They had good knowledge of the area and all it offered, great for a visitor like myself.

I will probably not be returning to Warwick again, but if i were i would not hesitate to stay here.

Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Wales
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

I cannot tell you what it was like to stay at the Warwick Arms Hotel as we have yet to be acknowledged by the receptionist, who was fiddling around on the computer making a poster (Thursday 3rd September at around 6pm) if the manager is interested. It was not even a complicated poster and the person she was doing it for pointed out that we were waiting and she did not even turn round.
They must be doing well though to be able to ignore both customers and the income it would have generated.
We did intend to stay the night but and were also looking to find a venue for a large birthday party. So a double whammy for the Warwick Arms. Compare this to the staff at the Tudor House Inn a few hundred yards down the road, who were welcoming and friendly. No prizes for guessing that this is where we stayed there the night.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Oxford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

Myself and my partner visited for a weekend break and couldn't have been more impressed. Comfy bed, clean and modern, beautiful bathroom and a flat screen TV. A good start! We went for a look around and discovered the beautiful bar and restaurant, I had visited this hotel many (many) years before and the recently updated decor gives it a real 'chic boutique hotel' vibe without loosing the class and charm of the period building. The staff were attentive, friendly and knowledgeable of the local attractions. Our view was over the courtyard which was full of potted flowers and in the morning it even had a couple of peacocks wandering in from the castle which is literally just behind the hotel. My boyfriend took the credit for this romantic touch but I think they are resident at the castle! We had a wonderful stay and are booked to return in the new year with friends!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Warwick Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!