“Can be quite expensive” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: European
Braunton, United Kingdom
“Can be quite expensive”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Had lunch at this establishment - sat outside and ordered the special of 3 Tapas. Fried calamari. Sticky ribs and homemade hummus and pitta bread. Not bad except the sticky ribs were so grossly overcooked the were not pleasant.

Visited June 2014

Bath, United Kingdom
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We had an ok drink in here. Handily located just off the market square. We found a table easily and had a reasonably average time here. Minimal atmosphere, slightly sticky tables it was ok. Not somewhere to go for anything special.

Warwick, United Kingdom
“Another very average evening”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

We went on a busy Saturday night. We grabbed a table outside for a pre-dinner drink, and I went inside to get some drinks from the bar. I was greeted with a warm smile and good service, and took the drinks outside. A passing waiter saw that I had purchased a bottle of fizz, and stopped to pour. Well done! Having finished the drinks, we went inside to our table. The order was taken promptly, and the starters arrived on time, and they were very good. So far, so good...

We had ordered a chateaubriand to share. It was off the specials menu, and a treat at £75. The food arrived, but the accompanying onion rings were several minutes late which was a bit irritating. I immediately cut into an onion ring only to find TWO HAIRS INSIDE! I brought this to the supervisor's attention who immediately whisked the onion rings away, apologised profusely, and returned about five minutes later with a fresh portion. He apologised again, and said he would deduct £20 off the bill. I accepted his apology, and thanked him for the gesture.

We finished the main course, were full, and decided to have a coffee, which was then offered as complimentary.

It was a shame, really. We are local and have been to TLC for drinks on many occasions, and eaten there quite a few times. There is no dispute that it is a great venue for drinks; it is a lovely environment, with a great atmosphere, but the food always lets it down. I've never come away after a meal thinking that it was fabulous, but I do usually come away saying it was just alright. The chateaubriand we had was okay, but just about. Bearing in mind how expensive it was, it was disappointing. I've paid less at Baraset Barn, just a few miles down the road, and that was far better.

We had had a bottle of champagne, a bottle of red, two starters, one premium shared main course. On reflection, the concession was a bit cheap. It wouldn't have cost them much to throw in the fizz, but it would have taken £50 off my bill.

I've told this story to another local friend, and they recounted the tale of when they went and had a disappointing meal. However, theirs was not as bad as ours, and their bill had been torn up.

All in all, I'm disappointed to say that it's just another regular night at TLC. We love the atmosphere, love the place, love the people. But we've never had a great meal there, and I think I'll make that the last one.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Quality meal ,quality staff ,fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just returned from an early evening meal and am very impressed . The staff were knowledgeable , friendly and helpful and the steak was excellent . Not rushed or kept waiting, just the right amount of time between courses really . Great atmosphere and setting . Much improved service from last visit last year and quite busy for a Monday night in Warwick ! Don't be put off by the negative reviews ... Just try it and I hope you enjoy it as much as we did

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Solihull
“Great service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Friends recommended this restaurant so my wife and I decided to give it a try. I must say the service was very good. The prices are above average for a steak restaurant so I was expecting something special, it didn't materialise. Having said that the desert menu is different and a bit of fun. The food was well cooked but the mains menu needs to be livened up a bit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere