“The best eggs benedict in town” 5 of 5 stars

You added Stratford House to your Saves list
Stratford House
121 Shottery Road, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 9QA, England   |
birmingham
“The best eggs benedict in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Stayed here for one night on business.
Received a very polite courtesy call before arrival to check what time I'd be at the hotel.
Very good convenient location for town centre, and ample off road parking.

Warm and informative welcome - there isn't much of a reception desk so to speak - its more like entering someone's home, but that's not a problem, right?

The room was spotless, modern and comfortable - the bed especially comfortable, and the shower, hot and powerful

I was in town for a work function and as such returned back at approx 1am. My only point for consideration - there wasn't any sort of light on and I wasnt sure if i was able or should put any on. As it was pitch black i had to use the light from my phone screen to navigate back to my room. Perhaps some low level lighting would be useful. On the other I do appreciate 1am is extremely late so it would be unfair to be critical.

The best was yet to come though. I like Eggs benedict. If they're on the menu I'm ordering.
I did the same at Stratford House and WOW!
Simply excellent. I've paid decent money for E.B in pretty good hotels and restuarants, but the ones I had at Stratford house beat all of them hands. Absolutely top class!!

I'd rebook here anyway, but even if the room was a damp leaky hole under the stairs, I'd come back for the breakfast

Room Tip: Friday morning is bin-men morning
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments. They are really appreciated. I have taken on board your comment on low level lighting when returning late. There is now a small light on in the hallway, just to negotiate your way back to your room. I love your comments about our Eggs Benedict. They are proving very popular and are only on the menu because I love them myself. Hope to see you again some time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here last summer for 2 wonderful nights. They weren't there to greet us but this wasn't a problem there was good communication between the owners and ourselves as to what to do and a nice little bottle of wine in our room as an apology! The room was immaculate very comfortable bed and shower powerful. Breakfast was beautiful and was not as bad as I thought eating with everyone else. Location was excellent the owners were lovely. Would defiantly return

• Stayed July 2012
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It may have taken a while for me to respond, but your comments are very much appreciated and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay in our gorgeous town.
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We've just returned from a lovely three day stay at Stratford House, a friendly welcoming was received upon arrival and we were shown to a nicely decorated and spacious room, with an en-suite that accommodated an awesome shower!! We took advantage of breakfast in bed on both mornings which was freshly prepared and tasty. The owners were very welcoming and easy to contact.
A great place to stay and we will be back. Thank you Natasha :-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
sprogs, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Glad to know you had a good time. Breakfast in bed is still popular and you must come back again. Thank you.
Bideford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

A must stay over if you want something a bit speacial without spending a fortune. Originally I thought it was a bit of a walk from town but in real life it was only a 5 minute walk to the town, perfect for us as we have 2 small children and it wasn't too far for them at all.

I called before we arrived as I wanted to see if I could arrange a cot for my 9 month old. Natasha couldn't have been more helpful, an understanding mum herself, she provided us with a built travel cot all made with cots sheets and blanket on arrival. High chair had been brought in from her home for breakfast along with baby spoons. She had offered toys as well but we brought a few bits ourselves. We had our own table at breakfast so we were able to entertain our own family without disturbing others, sometimes my little girl can make a bit of a mess so it was nice to have our own space. Her help enabled us to relax just a bit more than usual which is hard with 2 little ones in toe.

The bedrooms was modernly furnished, lovely towels and shampoos that don't dry your hair out. Despite the cold of December the house was always lovely and warm.

Breakfast set us up for the day! All fresh, hot, even the bread rolls were warm. Nothing else was needed.

Highly recommend Stratford House, location, service, value for money compared to the prices of other places I had looked at was excellent. Looking forward to a return visit next year.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Me and my husband stayed at stratford House for only one night, whilst in the area visiting family. We were so happy with the quality of the quest house and the kindness of the owners we have decided to book again. Highly recommended to family and friends.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed in the end of October for two nights, as our mini honeymoon break.
The guesthouse is less than ten minutes walk away from the railway station and was very easy to find. It is also short walk from the center of town.

We had a lovely and warm welcome when we arrived, and also ordered the breakfast in bed option for the first night. We both had full English breakfast and really enjoyed it with plenty of coffee! Only thing was that the breakfast for the room was served quite late, I think after the main breakfast downstairs was finished, so we could not start exploring the town until late morning. The following morning we joined the other guests downstairs and it was very nice experience, they have very good selection for breakfast.

The room was very lovely, bed comfortable and shower facilities very good. Coffee, tea and biscuits were nicely presented and room also had a large cupboard to put your clothes and bags in. Decorations etc. were to our taste.

We will definetely visit Stratford Upon Avon next summer, and we hope we can stay at Straford House again and we would recommend this guesthouse to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Truro, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I stayed at Stratford House for two nights whilst I was doing some postgrad study at the Shakespeare Institute.

The owners were not there to greet me, but this was not their fault as I was delayed by traffic so was quite a lot later than I had anticipated. I was able to access my room by phoning a number attached to the front door and being given a code to a key safe. This is a very efficient system although it does rely entirely on guests having a working mobile phone - mine was only seconds away from a flat battery, so I could have been in trouble here!

I stayed in a single room which was small (but I was informed of this when I booked) but very nicely kitted out with good quality bedlinen etc. The room was nicely decorated and clean. Personally, I would have appreciated a reading lamp, but this is a tiny quibble.

The shower room was small but well equipped and had a good, powerful shower. I felt that they had been a bit stingy with the towels - just one hand towel and a small bath towel rather than a bath sheet.

To be honest, I found breakfast rather disappointing. As other people have mentioned, I was expected to take breakfast at a communal table in the morning which I did not enjoy. Personally, I would have liked to have taken a book and had a relaxed start to the day rather than having to make small talk with a hen party on one morning and two romantic couples on another. I am quite a sociable person, but it made me feel quite awkward as a single traveller and I am sure that all concerned would have been happier left to their own devices. The alternative would be to order breakfast in bed, but I wouldn't fancy eating a full English breakfast in a room as small as mine was.

Breakfast itself was distinctly average. The information in the room said that it was 'cooked to order' but this was clearly not true: 'plated up to order', I'm sure, but as I had my cooked breakfast towards the end of the service, the sausages and bacon had clearly been sitting on the side for a while. I would have preferred to do what I've done in other local B&Bs, which is to order breakfast the night before and give a time so that it can be prepared to order. The orange juice ran out on both mornings and was not replaced and some of the fruit in the fruit bowl had clearly seen better days.

One draw of this B&B for me was that it had onsite parking for all guests. Unfortunately, there are not quite enough spaces around the parking area, meaning that somebody has to park across the middle and block the other cars in. To be fair, this was quickly sorted for me as the couple were at breakfast at the same time, but I can imagine it being a huge palava if you had to leave early in the morning.

In all, there are many good things about this B&B, particularly its location, which is so convenient for the theatres etc, but breakfast and parking rather let it down.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Natasha C, Owner at Stratford House, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
I'm sorry that you did not really enjoy your stay and that so many things appeared to trouble you. It is not our intention to make things difficult. We try to do our best but, to be fair, there are constraints sometimes that we can do little about.

On occasions there is no-one at the house. We might be shopping, out for a meal or visiting family. But rather than limit arrival times, which is the norm for many establishments, we provide 24 hour arrival access by means of a keysafe outside. Of-course I'm afraid that this does require the use of a mobile phone but we do need to change the code once in a while and consider the security aspect.

Breakfast, as you mention, is a communal affair. However, this has been a well thought out and widely advertised policy of ours, inspired by the French chambre d'hote system, where guests are given the opportunity to chat with other guests and share experiences. Recognising that it is not for everyone, we offer a wonderfully romantic breakfast in bed facility as an alternative. (As a by the by, we do not accept hen parties) With regards to the breakfast itself, with the exception of the sausages (because they take 40 minutes to cook) ALL items are cooked freshly to order.

Free parking in Stratford is at a premium so close to the town centre and we are lucky in the extreme to be able to provide all of our guests with front of house, on-site parking. We do of-course only have a finite amount of land available, but one space per room is guaranteed. If alll 7 rooms require a space on the same night ( a relatively rare event) then the 7th carspace is central. This has not once so far created a problem as early departures are always put into the equation.

Nonetheless, we welcome your comments and take on board your suggestion of a reading lamp which is lacking at the moment in our single room. Thank you for taking the time.

Karen

Been to Stratford House? Share your experiences!