“Lunch at Hobsons” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
“Lunch at Hobsons”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Good choice of fillings for sandwiches and baguettes. Cakes are good value especially late in the afternoon when they set up a stall outside the shop and sell left over cakes at reduced prices.

Nice quaint interior but beware floors are a bit uneven and may cause problems for older people.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great ambience and amazing selection!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Visited Hobsons when in Stratford as was attracted by the facade and display and also we wanted to avoid the rain!! The entry experience wasn't great as we were just told to find a seat anywhere and order at the counter - the waitress was polite enough, but it didn't feel like a warm welcome - might help if there was actually someone at the door to direct people to where there are free tables. We managed to get a seat upstairs and made our order at the counter. It was a bit of a queue but the service was efficient enough. My husband and I ordered cold pies with salad - I had turkey, ham and cranberries and my husband had chicken and ham. We also shared an apple and toffee cake. The pies looked amazing in the display counters and the slices were served with salad, chutney and mustard. The portions were healthy and they were both delicious and we really enjoyed the chutney. The prices for the desserts were very reasonable as well - most cafes would charge more for equivalent offerings. I am glad Hobsons didn't otherwise it would probably have put us off trying something from the sweet counter. The whole place is very nicely decorated and homey, it's definitely one of the nicest cafes/ diners we have visited. It is certainly a place I would love to visit again if I am in Stratford and is highly recommended!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Best Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

Seeing the amazing display of pastries in the window we got ourselves a table at Hobson's and seeing the variety on the menu we did not know where to start! So we opted for the Afternoon Tea and were delighted by the sandwiches, scone (with clotted cream and jam) and Victoria Sandwich slice (a bit of a surprise to see that included) with a choice of tea or coffee. Excellent food, quick service and great ambience, this place can give all comparable cafes in London a run for their money. Highly recommended!

Visited December 2012
Veneto
“A good experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I'm Italian so I'm not so used at having the afternoon tea but for me it has been a good experience. My English colleague has taken me there and ensured me it's one of the best places for the afternoon tea and I had it at 12 pm! they've taken me 6 sandwiches (really good), a small cake a and a slice of sponge cake. I really enjoyed everything... (the sponge cake was my favourite)

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Poor service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012 via mobile

We ordered a scone and tea the wife had tangerine slice this was a bit bland the scone was stale. We complained we was told it was a dry batch when asked for our money back we was told not enough people have complained. We asked the waiter twice what was being done about it that is when told us all the old spill