“Lovely!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Moss Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stratford-upon-Avon
Moss Cottage
You added Moss Cottage to your Saves list
61 Evesham Road, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 9BA, England   |
Leicestershire
“Lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

The reviews are spot on. This is a perfect example of why we choose B&Bs instead of hotels! Bill is a wonderful host who goes out of his way to welcome you and provide insight into this wonderful town. We had a most welcome pot of tea and delicious blueberry cake on arrival (please put the recipe on your website Bill!). The breakfast is top notch with lovely home made bread and preserves. We will be back and would certainly recommend Moss Cottage. We also met some interesting people at breakfast who were there for the Stratford marathon. This was a good career move Bill, you 'do' this so well. Karen and Steve, Leics.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow Thank you Karen & Steve, you are both so kind. It was great meeting you both and I do hope you come back one day, don't forget if you do fancy going to the RSC try for tickets on the preview days. I will definitely put the recipe for the cake on the website soon.
Thank you so much.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

After reading all the fantastic reviews about Moss Cottage, I looked forward to seeing it for myself and making up my own mind while staying there for 4 nights. I can honestly say that the reviews are all very accurate, it's good value for money and it definitely lived up to its well deserved reputation!
We were able to park on the drive and then Bill met us with tea/coffee in pretty china cups and saucers and home made lemon and blueberry cake, all very welcome and delicious. He told us about the local area, drew us maps and answered any questions we had about where to visit, which was extremely helpful as we were new to the area. The 2 for 1 vouchers that he gave us at this time, enabled us to visit the Shakespeare Houses and Warwick Castle at a reasonable price. With our new maps to guide us, we found that it was about a 15 minute walk into the town, we loved Stratford-upon-Avon, it was a delight and there was plenty to do and see. Bill also recommended some places to eat in the evening, we tried a few of them, our favourite was The Bell at Shottery, about a 5-10 minute walk from the cottage. It served appetising hot food and delicious desserts.
The cottage was lovely, we had the downstairs twin room which was spotless, comfortable and homely, there was a good sized bathroom with a bath and very efficient overhead shower. The beds were extremely comfortable and there was plenty of storage space. The hospitality tray was wonderful with a real assortment of teas, including herbal and green, coffee, hot chocolate, plenty of milk and packets of tasty biscuits. There was also a hairdryer, bottled water each day and lots of little extras in the bathroom. The flatscreen tv had very good reception and enabled us to play some dvds as well. We were given use of the dining room, opposite our room if we wanted to use it and although we didn't really get any time to do so, it was a nice gesture.
The breakfasts were delicious and filled us up until the evening. The Moss Cottage breakfast trifle was lovely and the cooked breakfasts tasted wonderful with locally sourced sausages, on the vine tomatoes, free range eggs etc. Peter's award winning jams and marmalades blended beautifully with the home made bread, I loved the lime marmalade and the plum jam in particular. Bill had to leave us for a couple of days so Peter stepped in to look after us and was an interesting and genial host who maintained the high standard of hospitality and breakfasts - your deputy didn't let you down Bill!
We had a relaxing stay in a very comfortable, lovely cottage with 2 wonderful hosts. If we ever come this way again, this is the only place that we'd want to stay and we'd certainly recommend it to friends. Thanks Bill and Peter for everything, we had a wonderful time. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow so glad we lived up to expectations, guests have been such lovely things on here I am always nervous that someone will be disappointed.
I love that you included calling Peter an 'interesting' and genial host, He certainly is that and I am so pleased he took good care of you.
We both had a wonderful time chatting with you. I still haven't managed to pop back up to The Bell in Shottery to try those new desserts, but I certainly will be soon!
Many thanks again.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

Moss Cottage is a warm and welcoming house. Bill, you host does all he can to make your stay comfortable and interesting. Everything from the coffee and cake on arrival, where he offers information about local places of interest, including the local pubs. To finding money off vouchers for places of interest, making considerable savings over the whole weekend. The breakfasts were well presented and the ingredients were all locally sourced and of an excellent quality, the lime marmalade was a particular favourite of mine and I could not leave without buying myself a jar. A tasty reminder of a happy weekend.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I do hope you enjoyed the marmalade when you arrived home, it is proving Very popular indeed, We only started making it this year so will be keeping that one going. Thank you for taking the time to leave such a lovely review, I am, as always, so very flattered.
Many thanks.
Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

After reading the reviews, we booked to stay with Bill at Moss Cottage for a couple of days to enjoy the beautiful town of Stratford. We were warmly welcomed by Bill and treated to some delicious lemon and blueberry cake and strong, fresh coffee (fantastically pleasing after 2 hours in the traffic).

Bill then took the time of chatting with us about the town, local attractions and rather wonderfully furnished us with a number of vouchers which, over the course of our stay, saved us around £50 in entrance fees to attractions and in eating around the town.

The B&B was spotlessly clean and beautifully furnished, the breakfast wonderfully tasty, fresh and well prepared and the coffee strong and fresh. It's the attention to detail like bottled water, homemade yoghurt and preserves and expensive, local produce in the cooked breakfast that sets this place apart. I really have to say that this is the quintessential B&B and I would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends and family. Which I already have done! Definitely deserves its 5 stars and fantastic rating.

Room Tip: In the end, as Moss Cottage is so popular, we took the ground floor room in which two single beds we...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Oh my goodness, Thank you very much for such a lovely review. It was so very nice to meet such a wonderful young couple. You had me laughing all weekend!

*small note to guest to Stratford-upon-Avon, we get these vouchers for free from a few places including the 'Magic Alley' in Henley Street. They are not available from the official tourist office though. I have noticed some places are advertising these as a special offer, which is wrong as any one can obtain them. I have them for my guests convenience, as do many other bed & breakfasts and guest houses. Vouchers include 2 for 1 entry to the Shakespeare Birthplace and houses and 2 for 1 entry to Warwick Castle*
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am a local person and I booked Moss Cottage for my son and his partner for 2 nights as our house was already full with visitors. I can only concur with everything that has been said in previous reviews. As I live in a neighbouring village I decided to call in to the Cottage and was able to meet Bill who was very happy to show me the spotless and comfortable accomodation and the very appetizing breakfast menu.
I found Bill very accomodating, friendly and more than helpful.
My son and his partner really enjoyed their stay; they loved their room and told us that they enjoyed a delicious breakfast and overall were very impressed with the whole ambience of their Bed and Breakfast accomodation,
We will definitely be contacting Moss Cottage again if/when we need to look for alternative accomodation for visiting family or friends in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I am so glad you decided to pop in and check me out, there are so many guest houses in Stratford I was flattered you chose me.
Your family are so nice and it sounded like you had a wonderful get together. Please do let me know if I can ever be of service again. Next time I will give you some of the marmalade to taste for yourself!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

Moss cottage is simply a delightful b&b.The location is great, the rooms clean and comfortable, the breakfast tasty and the welcome so friendly and helpful.
Bill was a wonderful host. Even though we arrived late, we were welcomed with a smile and tea and cake. There were so many other lovely touches like bottled water in the rooms and home made jam with breakfast. On our first morning Bill talked us through a map of the town, highlighting places to go and gave us vouchers we could use.
Although the weather was a bit grim we had a really great time.
We would definitely stay there again if we were in the area, and would recommend Moss Cottage to friends and family.
Thank you very much!

• Stayed March 2013
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow thank you for such kind words, I really do appreciate it.
It was so nice to meet you both and I'm glad the dodgy weather didn't spoil your time in Stratford, I think we now may finally be getting into spring time.
It would be wonderful to see you again if you are ever down this way.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Moss Cottage after a 3 week stint working on a farm in Wales and arrived tired, smelly and dirty. Peter was a lovely host with a delicious fruit cake and coffee on my arrival and he also washed and dried my dirty clothes for me which was greatly appreciated. Bruce took my booking but I didn't get a chance to meet him as he was away during my stay. The breakfast was amazing - I highly recommend the granola yoghurt trifle. The Cottage is a short walk from the town centre and has free parking. Highly recommend for the award winning marmalade as well :)

• Stayed February 2013
mosscottage, Owner at Moss Cottage, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Wow what lovely things to say. I am so sorry I didn't get to meet you in person, Peter thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and was amazed at your wonderful story of your time in the UK.
Thank you so much for taking the time to write your review, especially as you must have been very tired after your working holiday.

Been to Moss Cottage? Share your experiences!