“Dinner but no Bed!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Worcester
“Dinner but no Bed!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

My husband and I looked at this hotel but unfortunately it was already fully booked, so decided to have a meal here instead. We're so glad we did the food was outstanding and could not be faulted. Sadly, the same cannot be said about the service. Although friendly, we did not have confidence in getting the correct meals - which we actually did. We ended up sitting down over half an hour late, this wasn't a major problem as we were just having a relaxing evening and the bar is fabulous and has a wonderful atmosphere. We were told that the kitchen was running behind, even though the restaurant was only half full. The waiters didn't seem to have set tables so we were served by four different people. When the waiter came to take our order he said that they had run out of order pads and would have to remember our order. Having just overhead an opposite table having missing parts of meals I was slightly worried about what we'd end up with. But our meals turned up without error and were absolutely delicious - I really cannot fault the food. We ended up having 3 courses and 2 bottles of wine for around £80 - with amazing food in a fabulous location this is good value for money. I would definitely recommend eating here, but make sure you are not in a hurry and do not mind slightly chaotic but friendly service.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Polish first
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We booked the White Swan based on other Trip Advisor reviews. So a big thank you for your recommendations.

The hotel has a fantastic characterful bar and restaurant that is really cosy and welcoming; dating back to the 16th century. Amazing. All the rooms have recently been fully refurbished with tasteful interior design and modern bathrooms. We found the bed exceedingly comfortable and had a couple of great nights sleep. Our standard room was very spacious and comfortable.

The rooms are fully equipped with flat screen TV, computer points, iron, ironing board, fridge and kettle for coffee and range of teas supplied. There is even a small bottle of fresh milk. And the rooms are fully fully air conditioned or warmed, as required. And free wi-fi!

We found all the staff really helpful, especially Mark and the young French under-manager (sorry we did not catch your name).

One reviewer mentions noise from the street; easily remedied by requesting a quiet room at the back of the building.

Parking is a little away from the hotel, round the one way system. Not a problem unless you have mobility issues - ask Mark and he will be able to help. Good value at £8 per night.

We had two breakfasts and one evening meal in the restaurant. The service and food was very good. I had the poached eggs, always done perfectly with no trace of vinegar taint, that spoils many breakfast places.

The hotel is convenient for all the local sites, attractions, shops, pubs and the RSC theatre is only five minutes or so walk away. Literally Stratford on your door step.

Very pleasantly surprised by the quality of the acccommodation, warmth of the welcome and exceptional customer service from highly trained staff and at a very good price.

Already planning our next visit!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back provide a quiets nights sleep.
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This is a captivating building with so many beautiful distractions.
I chose to have 'fish and chips'..delicious fish in light batter and ''3x cooked chips..which were 'frites' quite dark, oily but tasty fries...Staff were very attentive without being overbearing.
Bill was £35 for pint of shandy, large chardonnay, two fish and chips, latte and cup of coffee. We sat near to the fireplace overlooking the main road.
Lovely, homely atmosphere for a couple of hours lunch. Will return.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Me and my girlfriend visited the White Swan but just for food and not to stay. The food we had was excellent to start I had the cheese soufflé followed by the fish and chips and then the croissant pudding which was one of the best puddings ive every had. The atmosphere was stunning and perfectly suited to Stratford with open fires and exposed beams. The only downside was the service which could be improved upon, it took a while for our bill to be brought out and we did wait nearly 30 minutes for our starter. If they sort out the service it will be a great place to eat.

wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed in this hotel to celebrate my partners 40th birthday, the hotel has been refurbished to an excellent standard.
Don't be put off by the parking arrangements as the carpark is a 2 minute walk from the hotel.
The whole place is lovely, we stayed in a grand room and it was beautiful - a huge bathroom with roll top bath and large shower, it was a spacious room and a very comfortable king-size bed.
Breakfast was excellent with a buffet style option and also a good choice of cooked breakfasts I can recommend the eggs benedict.
The staff are very friendly and helpful but unfortunately I have to agree with the previous comment regarding the restaurant as we ate in there on the Saturday evening, although the restaurant looks lovely with a roaring log fire and the food was good we had to wait far too long between courses and when I received my food I had to send it back as it was cold which meant we ended up eating our main courses separately.
I think if the problems with the restaurant are resolved you couldn't find a nicer venue in Stratford to spend your time

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We stayed here for our wedding night. We chose the Hamlet Suite as the bath looked amazing on the website and we weren't disappointed. The whole bathroom was gorgeous. The room was lovely too with lots of space and a dressing room off to the side. The staff made us feel very welcome and we have very fond memories of our stay. We will be going back for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Puerto Iguazu, Argentina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We stayed one night while coming up to see a play and had an tolerable stay in a pleasant hotel, but it didn't quite live up to my expectations.

We stayed in a Grand room for £140. The room was ok, but not as nice as the photos on the website had suggested. It seems silly but the 'Leda and the Swan' painting and the chaise lounge really convinced me to spend the extra £20 (not insignificant for our budgets) over a standard Classic room, and our room had neither of these features. It did have a lovely bathroom but as we were only staying one night, we didn't get much use out of it.

The room was well presented, clean and tidy, but just not as characterful as I'd hoped. If we had been staying longer and if I had had more time before needing to leave for the play I would have asked to see other rooms; as it was I regretted paying the premium.

Breakfast was also fine, though if I ask for a full English without something (I don't eat eggs) I do like to be offered more of something else to make up. But the ingredients seemed good, and the continental buffet was nice too.

We ate lunch on Saturday which was a bit less satisfactory- the service was very slow indeed. The waiting staff were clearly struggling a little, and it was a shame as the restaurant manager I had spoken to the previous evening and that morning had seemed very efficient as well as polite.

The food was also fine, though my two starters-instead-of-a-main were served on huge plates; too big to fit comfortably on the table, and I wasn't so sure about the deconstructed piccalilli with the ham hock terrine.

All in all we did enjoy our stay; the dining room is very characterful and I imagine the Character rooms to be lovely, but it wasn't as nice as I'd hoped. I'd stay again in either a Character or Classic room, but would adjust my expectations accordingly

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The White Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!