“Beautiful hotel and grounds” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Billesley Manor Hotel

You added Billesley Manor Hotel to your Saves list
Billesley Manor Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Billesley | Near Alcester, Stratford-upon-Avon B49 6NF, England   |
Berkshire, England
“Beautiful hotel and grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

My husband and I had a very nice one night stay at the hotel, and we were upgraded due to our Leisure Breaks card. It was a lovely room overlooking their topiary garden. The check in staff were very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed a drink in the bar and a fabulous meal in the retaurant which were both very atmospheric. The hot buffet breakfast was one of the best we've had in a hotel! The only niggle was my bath towel looked like it had been dragged across a muddy floor and the stains hadn't come out. Housekeeping should have been more vigilant. However, we would certainly go back and recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
cakeamatsui
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

This was a chance hotel for us, having been booked for us through another hotel we had stayed at. We wanted to see Stratford upon Avon, and wanted the convience of being outside but close enough to take the bus in. This place was tops for that. Although the PUMA Hotel central booking really screwed up and gave directions to some place in Hinckley, which sent us so far out of our way driving around with bad directions. Thank god for Marla at the Billesley Hotel to help us get there. Even the Puma hotel confirmation sheet doesn't give an address nor a phone number for the Billesley hotel. Puma has to realize that visitors from other countries don't always understand nor have GPS addresses. Simple address and phone number direct would be so much more appropriate. Going an hour out of our way to a place called Hickley because of the Puma booking agents (hotel is part of Puma chain from what the letterhead indicated on the confirmation)made us very grumpy but your lovely staff at Billesley made up for it.
We stayed here midweek, beautiful gardens, great room, very relaxing and clean. Maybe a little hard to get luggage up into it, due to small stair well, but well worth waking up and looking at the alice in wonderland garden. We didn't order dinner, hubby not feeling well, and we ate in the bar room. Not the best choice on the menu, nor very tasty. However, we were tired and really didn't care. I would not want to be here while a big wedding was going on, however, off week was just fine. The WIFI went down, no one knew until I reported it. Wasn't until the next morning I could check my flight.
Very nice area, grounds kept very nice. Also driving to the park and ride was easy and the guys at the bus depot were fab. Got us to our flight in Manchester with printouts. We would stay here again for a few extra days, but midweek. Breakfast was good, very attentive service. Have to say the night manager, I believe Marla, was excellent. She made the stay!

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

A beautiful and atmospheric hotel. We stayed for 2 nights to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary in what was quoted as a Deluxe Double (room 4) and WOW it was lovely. From arriving right through to booking out all the staff couldn't have made us feel more welcome and special and made our stay truly memorable.
We ate in the restaurant for the two nights we were there and the food was wonderful – the Menu is not huge but what you get is a beautifully presented and delicious (with regards to earlier reviews we both wore smart jeans to dinner). The breakfast buffet had a good selection and the coffee really hit the spot.
The grounds are wonderful and I can really recommend visiting the church but wear old shoes – it was a little muddy getting there.
The pool was clean and quiet and did the job.
So, all in all if you want to spoil yourselves in a beautiful country hotel that is clean with friendly staff and has loads of atmosphere I couldn't recommend it enough.
We'll be back!

Room Tip: Get a room in the manor house, great for atmosphere and views over the gardens. Some rooms have secr...
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012 via mobile

Myself and my boyfriend have just returned from Billesley Manor. It's an impressive looking estate; traditionally English and full of character. We stayed in a standard double room and were later moved to a premium double, due to our Leisure Breaks card. Both rooms were very clean and well presented. They had all the usual amenities you'd expect to find; hairdryer, ironing board, kettle w/drinks and bottled water. All staff were very courteous and friendly; we didn't have to lift a finger! Breakfast is of a very high standard with plenty of selection. The hotel and grounds are all very clean; the only exception being the women's changing rooms and steam room, which need a good scrub!! There's a tiny quaint church tucked down the lane near the manor. Pop in, as it's beautiful! Overall, we had a fab time and will definitely return again! Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2012
billesleymanor_gm, General Manager at Billesley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2012
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I can confirm that due to renewed investment into the HOtel by Puma Hotels the leisure club changing rooms will be recieving a make over including new lockers and flooring which I think should improve the look and feel in that area. I hope you will come back and let us know what you think. Kind regards.
Brighton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel set in stunning grounds. I stayed for one night on business.

The welcome was good and the receptionist was friendly, dealing well with system crashes which meant check in took much longer than needed. Because I am in their Leisurebreaks scheme I was upgraded to a more superior room.

My room was large, nicely decorated, but smelt badly of stale cigarettes. Given how long it is since smoking was banned in public places, it might be time to shampoo the carpets to get rid of the smell. The bed was huge and very comfortable; the bathroom more average with a noisy extractor fan. Toiletries are OK but the shape of the bottles and the viscosity of the products mean they are difficult to separate from each other. To be honest, I'd take your own.

Dinner is a choice between the fine dining restaurant or bar meal. Personally I don't want to eat alone in an expensive restaurant and would prefer good quality, home cooked food available in a relaxed bar environment. Sadly the menu choice has been reduced by Puma Hotels and is nowhere near adequate now. However what I ate was OK, even if not what I really wanted.

My real criticism, though, concerns the heating, which seems to be off all night and comes on again at 7am. Last winter when I stayed her, I was so cold that I had to put my coat on when I got out of bed. This time the weather was warmer, but nevertheless some heating at 6am would have been welcome. Surely a 4 star hotel should not have its heating on a timer switch?

Breakfast was good. The toaster broke, but staff were very professional in dealing with the situation. Because the hotel was nowhere near full, there was no hot breakfast buffet but instead staff took my order at the table, which is always a positive in my eyes.

Would I stay again? Yes, but I'll make sure I get a heater if it's winter.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your detailed review on trip advisor, I would like to clarify some of your assumptions so that you can be sure when you stay next time that we are making every effort to make all the improvements necessary to ensure that we meet with your expectations. I can assure you that the carpets are cleaned regularly and any stale smell is certainly not from before the smoking ban. Unfortunately some people chose to break the law. The toiletries are changing to lovely Gilchrist and Soames in the new year, the bar menu has been written by the Head Chef here - a new Puma Menu will be launched in February which I am sure will be fabulous and the heating is on a timer. I would like to apologise that the hotel did not meet with your expectations and would like to assure you and any readers of this review that the changes to Puma Hotels are all very positive. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Llandybie, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed at Billesley manor for a 4 night break. Wow. Exellent country hotel, Beautifull grounds, and the hotel itself was well decorated throughout and very clean. The staff were excellent, very friendly and courteous, and always smiling. The room (7) was excellent, very clean & tidy with a great view. We eat in the restaurant for the 4 nights & I must say the evening meals were excellent. Great choice on the menus. Thank you Billesley for an excellent stay, we would certainly come again, and recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive remarks, it makes a lovely read. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012 via mobile

Very beautiful and relaxing hotel. The room was clean and comfortable, the staff were friendly and helpful and the pool was adequate.
If I had to state negatives they would be that the pillows were the most uncomfortable pillows that I have ever tried to sleep on, the breakfast could have been warmer and to be really picky, there were water marks on the lamp shades.
I would definitely stay there again but would take my own pillows :)

• Stayed October 2012
Thank you for your positive review on trip advisor, new pillows have arrived so I hope the room in which you had stayed is one of the ones to recieve them. Breakfast is now cooked to order everyday and I will ensure that any stained lamp shades are changed as quickly as possible. I hope to welcome you back soon. Best regards

Been to Billesley Manor Hotel? Share your experiences!