“Excellent bed and breakfast” 5 of 5 stars

You added The Applegarth to your Saves list
The Applegarth
20 - 21 Warwick Rd, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6YW, England   |
Chichester
“Excellent bed and breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I have just returned form my 22nd stay at The Applegarth. The reason I keep staying here is it is very handy as it is so close to the theatre and the town centre. It is very clean, they provide everything you need and it is so reasonably priced. Peter the Manager is always very helpful and cooks extremely good poached eggs, I wish I could cook them like that!!. You get a freshly cooked breakfast and a choice of fresh fruits, cereals and yogurts and you are never kept waiting. I would never look into staying anywhere else when I visit Stratford as I could not be happier with The Applegarth.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This B&B is in a perfect location with free off road parking. Clean and friendly with a great breakfast. Our room was large with twin beds and seating. Plenty of tea coffee and biscuits provided plus free wifi. Would recommend to anybody.

• Stayed July 2012
Windsor, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

I stayed here in June 2009, wasn't too bad. Welcomed by an older gentleman that seemed to be running the place. Breakfast was ok and the room was alright, however it was in the ground floor on the main road and felt a little on show to everyone walking past.

Regardless I thought that when my partners friend was visiting the UK we should all go up to S-O-A for a night to show her around.

We hadn't booked a B&B as I couldn't remember the name of this place but could remember where it was. When we arrived, I missed the turning so my other half ran back to The Applegarth whilst the two of us waited in the car. The sign outside read Vancancies. The same old man opened the door and my partner asked if he had any rooms for 3 people, a room with 3 beds or a double and a single. The old man closed the door on him telling him "sorry, no vancancies!" My partner returned to the car looking rather upset and he knew what had just happened. He asked me to go and check for myself. I did and guess what? Vancancies! For all 3 of us! I explained that my partner had just been into ask and had been told no and the old man replied " oh, him!"

No room for my partner, who is Asian but room for me. I am White.

If you are planning a trip to Stratford On Avon please consider any one of the many other B&B's.

Wouldn't you rather stay somewhere who welcomes everyone?

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
applegarth21, Owner at The Applegarth, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Madam
Thank you for your review we do value all customer feedback.
I really think you have misunderstood the situation although we were showing vacancies we did not have a room for three persons available. We did have vacancies but not for a triple and our policy is not to allow ‘three adults to share one double room’ as you requested.
I would also like to add we provide the same service for travellers from all over the World and find your comment regarding preferential treatment to some nationalities very hurtful and unfair. Obviously you weren’t happy when you stayed with us three years ago so I don’t understand why you wished to stay for a second time?
Kind regards
The Applegarth
Melbourne Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

How handy was this, just a few minutes walk into town, the river, theatre etc. The room was very nice, quiet and the staff so friendly and helpful. The breakfast was delicious, plentiful and efficient. Parking was free and easy, there is nothing I could say was anything but all positive, would definitely recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Steep stairs would be hard to negotiate with suitcases
Preston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Found this guest house by chance and realised it had free parking on sight and was less than a five minute walk to the theatre.
The staff were friendly and welcoming, the room was clean, light and airy, with a very comfortable bed!
The full English breakfast was cooked to order and the coffee was good.
Finally the hotel was very reasonably priced, excellent value for money, will definitely stay here on our next visit to Stratford.

Pineville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

My wife and I primarily spend our vacations out and about exploring and visiting local sites so our sole purpose for hotels is to find somewhere safe, clean, and comfortable where we can sleep and shower in our own private room and bathroom. We look for basic no frills places to stay that are centrally located and affordable.

On this particular trip we were travelling with my wife's family. We stayed at the Applegarth and enjoyed our stay. The hotel more than met our need, was very comfortable, and our rooms were very spacious. The free Wi-Fi was appreciated. Note that even there are rooms on the first floor, the rooms in the 2nd and 3rd floors are only accessible via stairs. There is no lift. We did not mine, but guests who are not able or willing to climb the stairs, especially with a lot of baggage, should be aware.

The English breakfast served was very good and plentiful. The best part of the hotel was its central location. The sights around town were within an easy and quick walking distance. I would definitely recommend a stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Nice B&B friendly staff lovely english breakfast nice choice of fresh fruit and cereals ,clean room free parking and 5 minute walk to centre of Stratford every thing you want in a B&B.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Applegarth? Share your experiences!