“Good tour and guides but poor organisation” 3 of 5 stars

and up
Type: Bus tours, Sightseeing Tours
northwich
15 attraction reviews
“Good tour and guides but poor organisation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Ideal on a sunny day if you do not have a car and want to see the main attractions linked to Shakespeare. Commentary clear and informative but in English only by the guide though other languages by headsetts. Tickets last 24 hours which is enough to see Arden's House and Hathaway's cottage as well as the town highlights. My gripe was the bus service itself. It was hop on/off with buses supposedly at 20 min intervals. We waited 45 mins for one which does waste your time. Blamed on traffic but in that case all buses should have been delayed but still at 20 min intervals. Told service started 9 30 am next morning but 10 15 was the first bus. Again unacceptable with no explanation. If you have a car avoid this bus. You can visit the 2 out of town sites and walk to those in town easily. Most information is repeated elsewhere.

Visited September 2012

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
37 attraction reviews
“Stratford Tour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Although I'm a local- living only 25 miles away I'd never done the Stratford Tour in the open top bus- It was a delight- great guide and very informative and what a view. It's very windy up top so have a jacket or scarf even on a sunny day. Having a 24hr ticket is very good as you can split the tour over two days if you time it right. I'd recommend it to visitors and locals like me.

London
8 attraction reviews
“Great tour bus ride around lovely Stratford - recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I am a fan of city sightseeing tour buses and make a point of using them where I can and visit a new town. Stratford was no exception and saw so many sights and places that I would never of dreamed of making the effort to drive to. It highlighted so many places that I want to go back and visit properly spending a few hours there including some of the lovely gardens that I saw in some of the famous properties. The audio was one of the best I had enjoyed with many funny historical stories and pieces from history. It certainly etched Stratford in my heart and cant wait to revisit and see more.

Lafayette, Colorado
50 attraction reviews
“Well Worth the Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I'd seen tours of this kind and brand previously but never partaken. I'm glad I did, and may do so the next time I see one. The tour route was well-thought out (starting with Shakespeare's birthplace) and the buses ran quickly and reliably. The buses themselves were clean and the drivers courteous.

One suggestion I would make would be to include some sort of information (either onboard or in the co-located Tourist Information Centre) regarding the prices of individual or group tours for sites on the route - this would assist in planning and preparation for those just arriving.

All in all, well worth the money, and I can apply my ticket towards a discount on my next City Sightseeing tour.

NW ENGLAND
17 attraction reviews
“To go on the bus - or not to go on the bus - THAT is the question”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We have done a number of City Sightseeing tours (and associated international versions) so we know what to expect....dodgy sockets, taped commentary out of synch, superficial information from the audio.....

Its a one hours tour if you don't get off, and much of it is haring off to Anne Hathaway and Mary Arden's houses and farm.

One of the main reasons we do these tours is for the hop on and hop off opportunities. Here in Stratford UA this is a bit pointless because if you pay for the Shakespeare houses they provide free shuttle buses to and from those outside the town. Other than that, you can walk to everything else.

The best bit was we paid the extra £3 and got a 40 minute discounted river boat ride which was very relaxing (no commentary) as the day we were there was fairly sunny.

My answer to the question posed would be - "Not to be" bothered with this.