“Average” 3 of 5 stars

Save on Hotel Packages!
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Location is very good. There is a friendly pub just across the road which is better for food than the hotel offers also cheaper. Heating was not working ion room, the reason given ws the time of year did not require heating? Would be better to stay at a premier inn as there is noting special at this hotel that would encourage a return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Scott463648,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel.

I’m sorry to read that the heating was not working in your room. Our maintenance team will carry out a full check of the rooms and heating system to ensure everything is functioning properly. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Miguel Abellan van Kan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (254)
  • Korean first
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel many times before we knew what to expect. We book it mainly due to its convenient location and we have never had a bad experience here. Check-in was friendly and efficient and the room comfortable it looked like it had been recently refurbished. The leisure facilities are good with a nice gym and pool. My only gripe was breakfast, this has certainly lost some of the polish it used to have, it was still good but let down by the uninterested staff, I felt a little guilty about interrupting their conversations, they certainly seemed to have a lot to catch up on - 2 staff spent the 30mins we were there cleaning and relaying the table next to us, but then it was a 4 seater!!!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DPDSwansea,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m pleased to read that you are a returning guest and you continue to enjoy your stays with us. Your comments concerning breakfast have been taken into account and action will be taken to improve our breakfast service.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Guadiaro, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have now stayed on several occasions and wrote a review last November which continues to stand. However, apart form the location there is no reason to stay at this hotel as it is below standard within the marque and is not improving with age. The bathrooms are tired and need refreshing (room 1113 has cracked sink) and the hotel is cold with draughts in bars and communal areas. During this visit guests were wearing coats in bar areas to attempt to keep warm. Bar food is fairly good but breakfast is appalling. There are no WIFI facilities and 3G coverage was not good in rooms for personal computers.
Reception staff are friendly and appear efficient but management fail to check their data records to respect repeat visitors despite Priority Platinum membership. Standard welcome letters fail to impress, especially when they are erroneous!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Pavakeal,

I’m sorry to read that you left our hotel feeling disappointed with your stay and I would like to extend our apologies for us not living up to your expectations. I will make sure a member of our maintenance team fixes the sink in the room in question. I am pleased that our team members are the redeeming quality in our hotel and all your comments have been noted and will be discussed further.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss all the aspects of your stay with and invite you to contact me direct on rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com I look forward to hearing from you.

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel for a few days every year for the last 20 years. It boasts a superb location and car park convenient for the town centre and all attractions. The breakfasts are above average but are let down by a lack of bread other than sliced white or brown bread for toasting. Other small issues are, not every room has a safe and some double rooms only have one comfortable chair. The car park charge used to be £5 per stay but is now £5 per day! The hotel does have a good leisure centre and pool, with really nice helpful staff, the use of which is free to guests. Booking early helps keep the price down but if you book with short notice it is becoming expensive. Gave it 4/5 but only deserves 3.5.

Dear Georgeangusallan,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us as a returning guest. I am also pleased to note that you enjoyed your breakfast with us and your comment about the selection of bread has been taken into consideration and will be discussed further with the Food & Beverage Team.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I booked this on line taking advantage of the 'advance purchase offers'. The price was very reasonable, the room was good, quite large and well appointed. Bar prices too were very reasonable although the restaurant prices were expensive. Because of this we chose to have dinner elsewhere. Breakfast was included in the special offer price at £5.00 per head compared to the £14.95 shown on the breakfast menu. The food was quite good although I did have to wait some 25 minutes for poached eggs even though the restaurant was almost empty at the time.

Room Tip: Our first floor room was very good and the heater/air conditioner worked very well indeed.
Dear John F,

Thank you for writing a review of your stay with us.

I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found us to be reasonably priced with a good quality breakfast. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This must be the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed in (I have been a Priority Member for over ten years and am at Platinum level so you can tell I've stayed in many over the years). The only plus points I can think of are the location and parking availability, and neither of those compensate for the huge shortcomings. I could go on and on, but just to summarise the worst things about the experience:
Things got off to a bad start - no Priority Club recognition, so no newspaper, no upgrade, no pre-prepared check in, but worst of all - a total "no-no" for me - I was asked to pay on arrival!!!
The room itself was a decent size but very cold so I had to try to work with my coat on for an hour while the system struggled to get heat into the room.
The bar area was not welcoming and again really cold, and the policy re food was absurd - the room service menu could be ordered at the bar but if you wanted to eat there then you had to use a different menu with some of the things not available!
The bathroom had seen better days and had not been cleaned adequately - there was a lot of black mould around the bath and the door frames.
Breakfast was poor, the usual buffet style was laid out across a wide area with nothing to tell you where anything was which might be ok if it was open plan, but it has some decorative features and some items (cereals, fruit juices) were totally hidden by these features. The hot food was not hot and there was no offer of specially cooked eggs etc (it may have been available but nobody seemed to care).
All in all it was not a good stay and I will not be going back - it had all the hallmarks of a hotel being run to the lowest possible level of service knowing that, because of its location, 90% of the clients would probably never be coming back to Stratford anyway so why waste money looking after them?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear David M,

I am very sorry to read that after your stay with us you left feeling very disappointed with our hotel. Firstly I would like to extend my apologies for your check in; Priority Club members should receive their upgrades as they are entitled to them as this is one of the many great benefits of being a Platinum Priority Club Member.

I am also sorry that you found the cleanliness of your bathroom to be less than satisfactory, this is not acceptable and I will make sure that through our Housekeeping Team, we deal with the issues you raised.

We usually receive wonderful compliments about our breakfasts and I’m concerned that you found it to be less than perfect. I will investigate this immediately.

Once again I would like to extend my most sincere apologies for the quality of your stay and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly to discuss the matter further. If you would like to contact me directly on rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com I would be delighted to speak with you.

Oxford
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

As one of the more expensive Holiday Inns in the area I was hoping for something to match the price. Sadly, this was not the case. Just another case of the penny pinching owners of this property trying to maximise profits whilst caring very little about quality or service. Check in was friendly and efficient but with none of the Platinum priority extras I was led to believe were now standard throughout the brand. I did manage to get an upgrade but only because I asked. The room on the first floor had a badge on the door stating it was an executive room. This was just as well as you would never have guessed once you entered. Upgraded toiletries? NO, Bathrobes? NO, mineral water? NO, stocked mini bar? NO, chocolate bar or biscuits? NO, face cloths? NO, iron and ironing board? NO, larger tv? NO. In fact the only evidence that this could be an executive room at all was that it had a safe in it. Add to this that the carpet was old, stained and filthy. The curtains worn and poorly fitting.The furniture and room decor has definitely seen better days.The king size zip and link bed was not any where near as comfortable as it should have been and the towels are the smaller, cheaper budget hotel standard that should have no place in a hotel claiming to be 4 star. This hotel is generally very tired and would definitely benefit from a full makeover. It is in a fantastic location for central Stratford and could be a really good example of the brand. Alas, the owners are more focused on short term profits. I won't even start on the rip off car parking and wifi charges. My advice would be although its convenient its certainaly not good so consider staying somewhere else.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, Resident Manager at Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Andy C,

I’m sorry to read that you were disappointed with your recent stay with us. It is quite clear that there were a number of items missing from your Executive Room that we would normally place in there. I have addressed this with our Head Housekeeper to ensure that action is taken to prevent re occurrence.

I would like to extend my apologies for your disappointment and should you wish to discuss the matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me direct on rm.histratford@qmh-hotels.com

Resident Manager

Been to Holiday Inn Stratford-upon-Avon? Share your experiences!