“Top notch small boutique hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Arden Hotel

You added The Arden Hotel to your Saves list
The Arden Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Waterside, Stratford-upon-Avon CV37 6BA, England   |
“Top notch small boutique hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Myself and my wife stayed here for our wedding anniversary for two nights in June, don't take any notice of the rubbish reviews as our stay was fantastic, the staff were polite, friendly and helpful. Food and drink were excellent as were the rooms. Excellent location just off the centre of town. We will be staying again

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

After reading some of the reviews we were in two minds about going to this hotel but we are glad we did.
We did have a major problem in our room when going to bed the first night but they could not have been more helpfull or sorry and gave us a choice of three other rooms for the night and returning to our room the next day when the problem had been fixed.
The staff in the hotel were excellent and unlike many reviews we thought the food was also excellent yes it may have been pricey but it is a la carte. We ate in the restaurants on both evenings and breakfast on both days and did not have any complants.
Because of the problem we had with the room when we returned in the afternoon there was a bottle of chilled champagne with a had written card a very nice touch.
We would stay at this hotel again without a second thought

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Edlesborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Arden is a beautifully finished hotel in an excellent location for the RSC, river walks and town with brilliant shops. My Wife and I who are both involved in the catering industry and a facilities company dealing with many hotels, decided to take a well earned night away for our Wedding Anniversary. The Arden did not disappoint us with the welcome and our room was fantastic, quiet and well decorated with a spacious well appointed bathroom, both were spotlessly clean. After a retail therapy trip in town we settled down on the Brasserie Terrace to enjoy a jug of well prepared Pimms.
Our evening meal was set for the Brasserie at 8pm, but we decided to arrive a little earlier to enjoy a glass of chilled champagne on the terrace once more. This is where things started to go a little pear shaped, whilst reading the menus to make our dinner choices we asked for a bottle of chilled water to be placed on our table with our wine choice, however the very polite eastern European waiter could not grasp this simple request after asking twice and continued to enquire why we wanted 'bread & butter'? After a few moments he grasped what we were requesting and then preceded to bring us a jug of water out to the Terrace?? We gave up trying to explain what we would really like as he was really pleasant and obviously eager to please, even though they charged me £3.30 on my bill for tap water we really didn't want but hey ho?
We made our meal choices which I have to say are not at all cheap so we were expecting very high end quality. My starter of a Roquefort Souffle was very good, however, my Wife's choice of Pate was served with bread so burnt it was still smoking! Of course we returned this immediately and with numerous apologies was replaced quickly, but it should have never made it to the table.
My Wife has fresh salmon for her main course which was served with crushed new potatoes with what we thought were chopped chives, however the potatoes were completely unseasoned and bland and although the salmon was obviously good quality the whole dish was unimaginative, poorly presented and really not worth its price tag. My dish consisted of Pork cooked 3 ways, Black pudding ravioli, pork loin wrapped in sage and pancetta and slow roast belly pork.
The 1 ravioli was interesting, the pork loin was delicious, and the belly pork was a disaster, fatty, badly cooked and the crackling? What crackling, it was still chewy soft and unseasoned. The dish was priced at £18.50, for the amount that was served to me I wanted the flavours to set my palate alight unfortunately it hardly started a smoulder and left me disappointed, confused and worst of all hungry. Thank goodness for the jolly waiter who kept me stocked with granary and tomato bread.
For sweet my Wife had Crème Brulee, her favourite, and at £6.00 a portion needed to be good. I have made better whilst camping in a force 8, really poor, however my cheeseboard was brilliant and the choice of cheeses were very good.
So, to sum up. The Arden as a hotel is pricey but fabulous and the location is excellent, however, it is my opinion that at the moment you may feel a little let down with the Kitchen's creations and may also feel as I do a little cheated on what should have been a memorable meal. Give the Chef a kick up the whatsit, and bring him up to the hotel's obviously high standard. And quickly!

Room Tip: Go for a Deluxe or Above!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IOM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Across the road from theatre package was room. Breakfast dinner and theatre tickets for Titus Adronicus very handy.
Busy comfortable one night theatre stop easy parking essential for a busy place such as Stratford in season.
Town was heaving.
Food ok again Eastern European staff doing a terrific job.
Would stay there when next visiting the RSC.

Room Tip: Interestingly rooms have names of trees not numbers Free Internet
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2013

Considering I booked this hotel direct and, no doubt, paid full rack rate, we were offered a pokey overheated room with a desk fan. This did get changed to a good room with A/C on request. Apart from the porter, the reception staff seemed disaffected. The restaurant (sorry, the Brasserie), with some notable exceptions, was a shambles; the food was pub grub standard which would not normally bother me except that this hotel has pretensions to something better. The hotel advertised a Cocktail and Champagne bar; goodness knows where it was. I wrote a letter of concern to the Manager. A reply never came. I wish I had stayed at the Premier Inn.

Room Tip: Make sure that you examine the room before you do accept anything
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
gmardenhotel, General Manager at The Arden Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Andytheindolent

Please accept my apologies for your unhappiness. No letter has ever been received, so I would be grateful if you could get in touch. If I am not available please contact my Deputy Tim Brain.

As you can see from our previous 433 reviews, 99% of our guests are very happy rating us good and excellent, so I am surprised by your comments especially in regards to "Pub grub" . We have two AA rosettes and an excellent Head Chef, who aspires to serve fresh, local produce where ever possible.

The Champagne and cocktail bar is right in the middle of the Waterside Brasserie and this is very popular with residents and locals.

Hopefully you will get in touch so we can discuss the issues you encountered.

Kind Regards

Jason Adams
GENERAL MANAGER
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked this venue for 36 guests last November all the way through we were given fantastic advise and support to all of our questions. We were shown around the hotel and straight away we knew this was a special place. A few weeks before our big day there was a few changes to the wedding organizer and the chef we were a little anxious but the food had actually improved from our wedding taster although that was lovely at the time and Tim and his team made everything so perfect we actually felt someone was looking down on our day. All the guests stayed at the hotel and everyone could not believe how lovely the accomadation and the staff were. We all had a lovely breakfast and we had champangne to compliment ours. The staff had cleared everything away for us and flowers and presents were all organized for us. If you want a wedding reception to accomadate up to 40 guests this is the place to come. Thanks to all the staff who worked so hard to make our day special.

Mr and Mrs Owen

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

What a find! This hotel deserves the highest ratings because the Staff have miles of smiles and go the extra at whatever time of day in every aspect of customer service! Perfect location for RSC theatregoers, sightseers to Stratford and with large, secure car park you can relax and enjoy the Champagne bar where they make a mean cocktail too! Rooms vary, our deluxe king Chestnut, was perfect with spotless stylish bathroom, faultless wifi and Aircon! Lovely Orla Kiely toiletries daily replenished! Fresh milk in fridge! Delish cookies! Big soft towels! Getting the picture? It's a YES from me!

• Stayed August 2013

Been to The Arden Hotel? Share your experiences!