“Warm friendly pub” 5 of 5 stars

1789 295216
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: English, British, Pub, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Warm friendly pub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

What a find! We had a warm greeting, nothing was too much trouble. The landlady even provided one of our group with her own mug, as they prefer this to a cup. The food was first class and the fires were piled high to make for a cosy atmosphere. We will make this a must when we are in Stratford. We are residents of Warwick and it was well worth the trip.

88% Recommend
East Anglia
“Good quality food - a hearty meal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2012

The owner of the B&B we stayed in recommended this pub to us. It was lovely. A traditional pub, serving a good selection of beers and ales, as well as wines etc. I had the roast beef dinner and my husband had the cheese burger. Excellent food and good portions are served; very good, friendly service and would've gone back the next night, if we hadn't already booked another restaurant previously. If we're staying in or passing through Stratford upon Avon again, would definitely go back for more!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent carvery Sunday lunch in relaxed atmosphere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Stuck in Stratford for the weekend, a colleague at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre recommended The Old Thatch Tavern for Sunday lunch. I trudged through the slush and entered to find a fine old pub with open fires, a range of comfortable chairs and a small, and packed, restaurant area. As I was on my own, I opted to eat in the bar area, rather than wait for a table to come free, but this in no way affected my experience. The staff were helpful, friendly and polite, Sunday newspapers were available in a rack, and the meal from the carvery was excellent. Beef was cooked slightly rare, which I like, and the pork was some of the best I've tasted in a very long time. Generous portions, nicely cooked vegetables, including some beautifully sweet parsnips, superb pudding (lime cheesecake with chocolate ice-cream) and a very reasonable bill all added up to a perfect Sunday lunch. Don't go expecting this to be anything other than what it is, a pub with a small dining room attached, but do expect the food to be mainly locally sourced, well prepared and fairly priced. A welcome find in this town, where high prices and low standards are rather too common.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
oldthatch, Owner at Old Thatch Tavern, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
Thank you so much for a lovely review. It is important for me to know that when you are on your own you feel comfortable and well attended to. Please come and visit us again.
With regards Sandie
Gloucester, United Kingdom
“Rude Customers”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

Afetr walking in the snow for 30 minutes last night we were entinced by the fantastic looking Old Thatch Tavern. The smoke was pouring out of the chimney and it looked a welcoming sight. after walking in the door and being immediately greeted by the warmth of the open fire we were then faced with what i am guessing are locals refusing to move so we can get to the bar. A very sarcastic woman sat on a stool on the corner of the bar muttering away to herself about us arriving. Talk about a 'clicky' pub and the feeling that only locals are welcome! We soon made a quick exit and went to a pub more welcoming and happy to take our money.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
I am so shocked that you had this experience. The Thatch is not only my business but my home and visitors receive a warm welcome. In defence of the locals you couldn't wish to meet a nicer bunch of people but they are usually in at lunch time and early evening. The majority of our customers are visitors to Stratford from all over the world and Britain. I am so sorry you felt uncomfortable and I wouldn't want that for the world. We did have a problem that day of people not closing the door and people would watch to see if you had closed it - but not being able to get to the bar! I hope you give us a second chance when you visit Stratford and again I can only apologise. With regards Sandie
Widnes, United Kingdom
“Excellent food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

We had cottage pie at the tavern and we both thought that the quality was excellent and the price reasonable!

Visited January 2012