“Faultless - will definitely be returning” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 51 Restaurants in Kenilworth
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: English
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Bus Stop on New Street
Description: The Cross, Kenilworth is a pub restaurant serving excellent food, cooked by award winning chefs. The Cross started out as an inn back in the 19th century and was recently refurbished to reveal its original features. Expect a warm welcome, friendly service and stunning dishes, cooked using the very best local ingredients.
“Faultless - will definitely be returning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Looking for restaurant in Kenilworth and had heard good recommendations for the Cross, just thought I'd check it out on Trip Advisor. I could not believe Cross was not in top 20 Kenilworth restaurants!! Some recent reviews were not good. Very nearly didn't go because of the reviews. Absolutely glad we went. All I could think was the other reviews were of a different Cross. Car parking great. Gardens great. Decor looks great. Prompt service which gave the impression they were waiting for us to arrive. Very busy and with a full birthday party booked in as well. The service was FAULTLESS, attentive, not over powering, knowledgeable, curious. A big indicator of well rained staff is how gently they place the plates. Smoothly and very gently slowly just as it touches the table. Starters arrived without delay. Complimentary freshen between main course. Variety of mains. Fish - excellent. Fillet steaks - tender and tasteful. Menu was varied with god choices. All of our party of 6 adults all said great tasting food. I will mention again that the service was impeccable. Absolutely impeccable. All I would advise is to visit 'this Cross' in Kenilworth and not the other imaginary Cross that perhaps in on a different planet from previous reviewers. We will all be visiting again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

My partner and I popped in for a quick lunch, having ben there in the oast and enjoyed the food.
We both ordered a starter with a side order of chips between us. The portions were small, just 2 scallops and a small amount of crab mousse. My partner did not enjoy the slamon ballotine saying it was bland.The chips were good. As we were still hungry we ordered a dessert between us, a warm chocolate and coffee tart with pistachio ice cream. It was to die for, the best dessert I have had for a long time. The staff were attentive but overstretched only 2 waiters for a full dining room.
It appears that the have gone more upmarket with the menu but not delivering as they used to.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
East Midlands
“Awful food and awful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

I came here on Friday for my birthday meal with my girlfriends. The place was empty which I thought very unusual for a Friday night in an affluent area like kenilworth. The starters sounded lovely so we were very excited to order them...and then they came out. Three out of the four were edible but the salmon ballotine was just awful!

Whilst I don't usually complain, I have to say this was the worst starter I had ever tasted and I felt that I had to mention this. I explained to the waitress that I didn't like it and would I be able to swap it for something else or have it taken off the bill. The waitress came back and said it couldn't be taken off the bill or replaced. I was very disappointed to hear this as it tasted awful and most good restaurants would appreciate feedback. I explained to the waitress again that I couldn't eat it, she then went and spoke to her manager.

I have to say that more disappointing than the awful starter was this managers behaviour. He tried to justify that the dish was extremely popular and that the dish just wasn't to my taste and on that basis he would not be replacing it. Despite my best attempts to explain to him that it wasn't just my taste but that the dish lacked any flavour and was inedible, he refused to take any responsibility for it and actually walked away from me when I was talking to him!!

I have never been more insulted in my life! His behaviour was so bad that I refused to go ahead with our mains, paid for our drinks and the other awful starters and walked out! I will add that he did eventually take the salmon starter off the bill but only after one of my friends had to explain to him that most other restaurants would replace an unsatisfactory dish in a heartbeat.

This was single handedly the worst starter and worst customer service experience I have ever experienced! I would never go back here again and I am extremely embarrassed that I took my friends here for my birthday celebrations, especially as they didn't even get to eat their mains! Although they all agreed the service was so bad that they would not stay for the mains.

I dined at The Latymer (2 Michelin star) yesterday and whilst these two restaurants are worlds apart, The Cross can learn a lot from a place like this. I had ordered a cocktail which was quite strong for my liking although that is my personal taste. The waiter was walking past our table and noticed that my drink was untouched. He asked me why and i explained that whilst the drink is exactly as described, it was a little strong for me. within minutes that drink had been replaced with a complimentary champagne cocktail. Now that is service! Their impeccable food and service managed to charm £300 from my pocket. It's a shame that for the sake of a £6 starter the manager at The Cross allowed £150 worth of business to walk out the door...

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“The worst meal we have ever paid for”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We have always loved this restaurant and have made a point of recommending it to our friends, only one bad experience in the past on Father's Day and just think they could not cope with large numbers! However, visted there again yesterday and the food and service were absolutely disgusting. Total waste of money, very poor standard of food and will never, ever being using this so called restaurant again. Doubt that they will put this on their website as they only seem to include positive comments!

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“Birthday meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

We went to the Cross at Kenilworth for the first time as a group of 6 for a birthday meal. We were given a lovely round table which was positioned in such a way that we felt comfortable to joke and laugh during our meal, without feeling pressurized to be quiet. The service was pleasant and polite and the food was great. We found that the price is very reasonable for the quality of food and experience you get. We will come back.

• Visited February 2013