“Small but perfectly formed...” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian, Bangladeshi
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night
Coventry, UK
“Small but perfectly formed...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

We were due to go for a meal next to at the Almanack but decided against this after walking past and looking in to see what looked like a mother/child convention going on inside. Walking back towards our car, we saw Le Raj spice and had a nosey through the window. We decided to give it a go and walked in.

Straight away, you notice that the restaurant is completely open plan with a modern warm look to it. The tables are laid out in a way that it doesn't affect anybodies privacy and you are still absolutely fine to go here for a romantic meal for 2 or equally for a birthday celebration.

As we walked towards our table, I noticed how spongy the carpet was and asked the waiter how long the restaurant had been open for. He said 2 months which meant things were either going to be really good... or really bad.

Quite randomly, it was something that my other half said and rang true with me. Instead of being filled with male waiters, there was a lady who was serving drinks at this restaurant. This made a lovely change and she was very charming.

After taking in the initial feel of the place which in the whole was contemporary but with traditional asian music playing in the background, we decided we were probably going to love the place. We weren't disappointed.

We ate our poppadoms (lovely with dips!) and for our starter we ordered a platter of Meat samosas/Fish Tikka/Chicken Tikka/Onion bhajis and Tandoori Lamb chops. This meant we could have a little taste of everything. They came on a sizzling plate planted among fried onions and we were not disappointed! Whilst the portions of each were small, they were really tasty.

For our main, I ordered a chicken passanda and "the wife" ordered a duck Jalfrezi. (Came with a pilau rice) We accompanied these with a keema naan and veggie rice. The portions of rice are smaller than anywhere else I have been to. In honesty, I felt a little disappointed when I saw it. However, there really was no need to be. As per usual, I was being a greedy fat monster and by the end of the meal I was absolutely stuffed. That said, I wouldn't recommend sharing a rice and we did have the bread to accompany it.

Overall, the price was lower than other restaurants that I have been to, the quality was much higher, and the restaurant is beautiful. This should certainly be making its way to the top of the tripadvisor rankings for Kenilworth! We went at 6.30pm and by 7pm it was getting very busy so you may be safer booking in advance!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Casares, Spain
“A lovely new addition”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We went with some friends on a Thursday evening and I would have to say that this is a very worthy addition to the Kenilworth Restaurant scene.
The menu is varied, the service is second to none and the food was a real delight.
I went for a Chilli & Garlic Chicken Dish that I asked for Madras Hot and is was absolutely beautiful, plenty of flavour and exactly at the temperature I like.
The waiters can't seem to do enough for you and we never waited for a top up, when our drinks got low.
The prices are exceptionally reasonable, so if you are looking to try somewhere a little different, you would do well to find anywhere better.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“It's' Le Raj Spice' and it's very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

The restaurant is actually Le Raj Spice, and the address is Abbey End and not The Square, should anyone find the details here confusing. I have written the same review where the details are correct.
I visited Le Raj Spice for the first time yesterday, and was very impressed. We had a fab set meal for about £15 a head which is really good value. The food was lovely with fresh ingredients, the service excellent and I loved the place and the decor. If you like quality Indian cuisine, friendly service in a stylish, contemporary environment then give Le Raj Palace a visit. I most certainly will visit again in the very near future.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
“Quality”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

• 4 of 5 stars Food
“Perfectly respectable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Visited for the first time on Sunday evening with my son.Slightly different ambience to the other Indian restaurants in town. Service was very good, and the food decent but not spectacular - certainly not the best in town, but quite good. We shared the mixed tandoori starter, which was tasty but not massive and seemed quite dear, then had a couple of the specials, which appeared dear but came with pilau rice, so were actually reasonable value. My duck was not particularly special, although tasty enough, but my son's shatkora lamb was pretty good.

Overall, unremarkable but respectable - although I do wonder why they've bothered, given the plethora of rather decent Indian restaurants in town.

• 3 of 5 stars Food