“Pleasant gastronomic experience” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Pleasant gastronomic experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Situated in the historic 'end' of Kenilworth this venue continues to delight. On a Tuesday evening in January (29th) this place was buzzing. Having dined out in Kenilworth the previous night at The Cross, this restaurant was the perfect compliment to impress my party of six including 3 high ranking officers from the Brazilian Navy. They are well used to fish on their menu and were impressed at the fresh choices offered by Loch Fyne. Our Waitress was knowledgeable, conversational and engaged with us in a relaxed but professional manner adding to our experience. Our food, from the appetisers through starters to mains were sublime and perfectly prepared. The wine on offer complimented the menu and we thoroughly enjoyed the option to complement our choices with scallops and prawns. Perhaps I'm biased but I've eaten here on a number of occasions and all have been a real treat.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

62% Recommend
Warwick, United Kingdom
“Disappointing on this occasion”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We're fond of good fish, and Loch Fyne often serves very good fish. Each year it does a special Burns' Night celebration which is justly popular. This year, it was full as usual, the piper played well, the "addressing the haggis" was good and the atmosphere positive.

However, service was slow and inattentive while the food was only adequate. Yes, being busy that may not be surprising but that should not be an excuse -- they had time to plan for it after all.

Starters were good. The fishy mains were pretty good but my steak was very poor -- fatty and with almost none of the promised sauce. Suites were mixed, with the sticky toffee pudding very good but the special cranachan being mainly cream with few raspberries and almost no whisky or oats.

There are times when the food is excellent, and we've had very good meals at Loch Fyne. But this wasn't the first time we've been somewhat disappointed and reluctantly we'll be leaving it off our list of regular restaurants for a while to give it chance to recover.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Loch Fyne restaurants do 'what they say on the tin'; pleasant surroundings, fresh food, friendly service. My friend and I had the (ubiquitous in eateries now) Tai fishcakes to start and whilst he had the fish pie I had the line caught cod and chips. I was disappointed that my favourite starter, whitebait, was missing from the menu this time as I can never find any in the shops (why is that??) and rely on Lock Fyne for them as a treat! We both enjoyed the meal and it was good value. I shall revisit.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Coventry, United Kingdom
“A Nice Meal. Good Atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

On a Tuesday evening in January, this place was surprisingly busy which created a good atmosphere that I hadn't expected on a week night.

I had the prawn and salmon soup to start which was tasty.

I have read previous reviews that complained of the small portion sizes. The restaurant must have taken notice. Our main meals were plenty big enough. I got so many fries, I couldn't finish them.

The fish was delicious and pan-fried perfectly.

Our waitress was very friendly - as were all of the staff we encountered.

We had a 25% off voucher so this made the price acceptable.

This restaurant wasn't out of this world, but it was nice and I would go again (with a voucher :-).

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Girvan
“left restaurant hungry”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We ate here on 12th Jan 2013,the weather was freezing cold, so after making the effort
to leave the hotel where we were staying,
to go out on such an awful night, we were looking forward to a nice meal
However,It was such a big let down.
That being said, I must add, the staff were very nice, & the meal didn't take long to arrive,
We were the only two people in the restaurant, so that wasn't really a suprise.
HOWEVER, the portions were SO small.
What was laughingly called " fishcakes " looked like garden peas had been rolled in
breadcrumbs, & then fried...so tiny were they.
The main course...which my husband thought was another starter, consisted of a bit of fish,
that looked like a minnow, the extra veg which was £3 odd had 2 little florets of broccoli,12 peas,
& less than an inch of carrot, cut into 3 slices. We had the grand total of 9 twice baked chips,
which were also at a ripoff price.
Now, as we live in Scotland, we eat at Loch fyne restaurants a lot..but never ever have we had such small amounts of food, for such large amounts of money,& we won't be going back.
We got back to the hotel, where we wolfed down some oatcakes & cheese we had brought with us.
I notice other people are saying the portions are too small on this site...time for the management
& chefs to take note me thinks.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere