“One of the more unique gastro pubs of Newcastle” 4 of 5 stars

01912812277
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
As You Like It is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Large groups, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Hong Kong, China
“One of the more unique gastro pubs of Newcastle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

A lot of thought and ingenuity has gone into the unique decor. Downstairs is the bar area, stage and some tables. Upstairs is the, slightly more formal, restaurant.

The food is an eclectic mix from Thai Red Curry to Fish and Chips. It doesn't disappoint, though it shouldn't considering the price.

All in all definitely worth a visit.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Food great needed more staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013 via mobile

My brother in law had had a business dinner here recently so we went on his recommendation . We were seated quickly without a reservation and our drink order was taken immediately . At this stage the dining room was not too busy . Our wine and a soft drink arrived very quickly but the beer took a while having to be brought up from the downstairs bar . This was only a slight annoyance as the food was delicious . We had main courses of a burger with all the trimmings , a Thai red curry and a cod dish with a sauce . All the mains were presented and cooked well . One of our party had a ginger pudding with toffee sauce and rum and raisen ice cream which looked amazing . I had a creme brûlée which had a lovely crack to it but was far too cold in the middle .
Management to note the couple of staff that were on duty in the restaurant worked very hard and as the place filled up were extremely busy . They seemed a bit rushed although always friendly and polite .
I will go again and would take friends .

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great place more than just a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Had a meal here on a Saturday night it was very full but the food and service was brilliant. This place can handle several large parties, groups and couples equally well. There was live music in the bar downstairs and the whole place was buzzing.

If it was just a restaurant the food experience was superb but added to the music and bars the whole night out in one venue was brilliant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Awful service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

I'm sad to write this as it was lovely on my lady visit and that was what made us go back but this evening it was really poor. The waitress had to be reminded to bring my drink after only serving my husbands. I then had to remind her for a jug of water and we asked twice for a dessert list. The bill came, it was wrong and then it took for me to chase this up. Really not good. The menu I felt was lacking in creativity, many dishes seemed to be using a job lot of the same ingredients. My risotto was crispy and the dessert menu was not awfully enticing. Such a shame, I'd like to be more positive but I'm afraid I can't.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere, good service, hit or miss food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We managed to get a table for 8 at the last minute on a Saturday night which was surprising as I know usually you have to book a while in advance. We were given a nice big round table which is always good as everyone can talk to each other. The service was really good and we were never waiting long for courses or to be asked if we wanted more drinks. I had the soup and haddock strips both of which were nice but not mind-blowing by any means. My husband had the seafood cocktail to start - he was disappointed that 'seafood' just consisted of 3 prawns and a small wrap of salmon, then the burger where the burger itself was quite thin and disappointing. We both agreed the homemade chips were excellent though. Everyone else in the party seemed to enjoy their food.

Overall it was a good relaxed meal in a great atmosphere.

• 3 of 5 stars Food