“Massively overpriced ” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Families with children, Doing business
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Chic yet relaxed, Piccolino restaurants are a collection of Italian neighbourhood restaurants with delicious brasserie-style cuisine. Using fresh, seasonal produce, rustic yet classic Italian dishes are served in a contemporary setting at Piccolino. Many restaurants feature popular al fresco dining areas, where diners can experience fine Italian fare and cocktails.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Massively overpriced ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

This is probably the first bad review I have wrote although there is not a great deal to say.

We have a sharer seafood starter which was ok, nothing great. That was around £20.

We then both have the steak which was £22 each. It is served with a few chips and peppercorn sauce, basically nothing to it. The steak was ok but not what you would expect for that price, we have had much better.

We then bad chocolate fondant for Desert which was very very average.

Our bill came to £110 in total as we had 3 drinks each.

All in all I would say it is very overpriced, left feeling a little sad. Also had two flies fall onto my head from the ceiling, very odd :-S

Wouldn't go back unless the bill was half the price.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Very impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Went for Restaurant Week, we have been to this chain before in a different city so we had high standards, which were easily met and exceeded. It was an absolute pleasure to eat there.

After declining a drink in the bar beforehand, we asked for the RW menu upon being show to our seats by a very efficient Matre D'. Our waiter was very pleasant and took our orders within a very short period of time, I was slightly confused when he took our dessert order as well, but I assumed that being part of the RW week offer, they wanted us in and out as soon as possible (which was correct as we were out the restaurant within 75 mins).

We ordered drinks (spirits & mixers) with which we (rather naively) said we had no preferred brand of spirit, which is something I will not do in the future, still the drinks were very nice! The bar staff were efficient & polite when bringing us the drinks.

The food was spectacular, the calamari & bruschetta were brilliant, along with the pizza & Caesar salad!

I'm greatly looking forward to returning & would recommend it to anyone.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle
“Pandemonium.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Upon arrival I was served a pint of line cleaner masquerading as boddingtons which admittedly was changed by the guy behind the bar once I spat it back into my pint glass. Our table had been booked for 7pm and we sat down shortly after this but didn't have our order taken for quite a while. We ordered from the restaurant week menu and had to order dessert at the same time as the first two courses because according to the waiter "it makes it easier for me". I don't really care how easy his job is, we were out for a good meal and conventionally this involves ordering dessert after the main course has been cleared. It was a long time before the starters came out and when they did the portions were different sizes, my friend opposite me had about twice the calamari that I did. In fairness my portion was a reasonable size for a restaurant week TDH but it is bizarre that the portions would be this different. My main of seabass was okay but nothing special, we were a table of about 12 sat near the kitchen and it was entertaining watching the carnage as the chef went ballistic at the waiters attempting to get the food out. They were woefully understaffed. There was no check-back on either the mains or starters.The desserts duly arrived after the mains and were probably the nicest part of the meal. Upon paying we noticed that my girlfriend had been charged for her side of fries despite the fact that when she ordered the waiter asked "do you want chips or fries" which implies they are part of the dish. Bit it a cheeky ad-sell. The toilets had a puddle of urine or water or something in between by the urinals. Wine was good although it'd be nice to see a bottle of barbera d'Alba/Asti nearer the £20-25 mark rather than £30; in my experience it's supposed to be a cheap grape. It was about 9.45 when we left which means it took us almost three hours to have three courses from a TDH menu on a Wednesday evening! All in all a pretty grim experience.

Ashington, United Kingdom
“Loved it !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

My daughter & I were belatedly celebrating her birthday - she had been before and we had both been several times to Piccolinos in Chester when I lived in Cheshire.
We shared olives, garlic bread & mozzarella & tomato starters which were all excellent. I had veal as a main course and Cara had steak - both were cooked to perfection and the small roast potaoes & vegetables were also very good.
We both had a large glass of red wine (which I subsequently tracked down on the internet & ordered 6 bottles from a wine merchant in Harrogate - does that tell you how good it was) Osa from Maremma - if you wish to give it a try :-)
It was early in the evening and mid-week so the service was spot-on.
It isn't cheap - from memory circa £80 for two of us but as a treat well worth it.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington
“Nice afternoon Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

Called into Piccolinos on the off chance on a Sunny Monday afternoon. Only a few other people in there as expected. Politely greeted by waiter and even had the opportunity to dine outside if we so wished.

We both had salad starters which were fresh and well presented. Main meal I had Rigatoni with Lamb which was very tasty maybe a bit overpriced at £12.00. Wife had the duck dish which she thoroughly enjoyed. I had the strawberry cheesecake ti finish with whichwas probably one of the best I have ever tasted.

All in all a good dining experience. This restaurant is large and I can imagine it gets fairly busy of a night time.Would certainly visit again

• Visited August 2014