“Great Little Place” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Doing business, Entertaining clients
newcastle, england
“Great Little Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

When we walked in we were the only non-Chinese people there, always a good sign! Food and service both spot on, especially Sandra who is a hoot. We made a meal out of several starters, looking forward to going back soon.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Great value, friendly staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

I went to Hei Hei's for my birthday on the Friday of restaurant week. The deal was £15 for a 4 course banquet and I could not believe the amount of food we had, it just kept on coming. I know other restaurants that were participating in restaurant week were providing quite small portions, not here though.

There were 16 of us at the meal and it can be quite stressful trying to feed a lot of people but the banquet was great and was done with ease. It was a soup starter, then mixed platter, then aromatic duck then an assortment of different main dishes all served with different sides. We really couldn't believe how much kept coming, it nearly didn't fit on our table. All of the food was to top quality and not greasy or too salty that you find with other Chinese restaurants. The food here is all done to the best standard.

Would definitely come again soon.

• Visited January 2013
“Last minute delights”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I wanted to take advantage of the Newcastle Restaurant Week deals and called very last minute, the manger, Sandra, did her best to squeeze us in and was very welcoming when we arrived even though there was a queue waiting for tables and she was rushed off her feet. The rest of the staff were also extremely friendly and attentive.

The deal we got was £15 each for:
- hot and sour soup or crab meat soup each
- a mixed platter to share
- duck pancakes to share
A main course each with a side of rice and pak choi, for this dish we had a selection of about 6 or 7 dishes.

The food was the best Chinese we have had in Newcastle, very flavoursome and not greasy.

The manger Sandra took the time to sit with us after our meal to introduce herself and make us feel extremely welcome.

All in all we really enjoyed the food, atmosphere and welcoming manner of the staff.

We will definitely be back, sooner rather than later.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“An absolute gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stumbled upon this restaurant heading from Dean Street Car Park towards the theatre. From the outside it looks small and quiet but as you step in you see it's quite the opposite! We were lucky to get a table so I would advise you book but we got sat and opted for the set menu 2 courses for £7.50 - bargain! The dishes weren't your usual Chinese dishes either so was nice to try something new. We also had the traditional Sake with our meal and it was excellent! With it being busy sometimes the service seemed a little frantic but all the traditional touches made it a fantastic find. I will definitely be returning!

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“First Visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

When we arrived we were greeted warmly and shown to our table. The food order was taken after we received our welcome drinks. It was 5:30pm in the happy hour session and the restaurant was beginning to fill. We have had happy hour food before so we ordered a side of chips, I know a very British thing, as they are often smaller portions. However when our meal arrived I wish I hadn't ordered them. The portions were generous especially for £5.50 a head. They tasted divine, and the rice was light and fluffy and we were all eaten by 6:00pm excellent prices and the food everyone else was eating made my mouth water further, if only I wasn't full. Well worth a visit and fully deserving top one hundred best restaurant rating. I will be back.

• Visited January 2013