“Definitely the best Indian food in Newcastle” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Durham
“Definitely the best Indian food in Newcastle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2010

The food at Sachin's is invariably excellent in my experience. I tend to go in a larger group, usually for a birthday or other occasion. Sometimes it has to be said that the staff struggle to cope with large numbers, getting confused with orders, etc. However, I took a group of nearly 20 there last week, and we pre-ordered a banquet, which was a good move. It was the "Feast for four", obviously multiplied several times The starters were excellent mixed tandoori sizzling platters, one between two. These didn't quite all get finished, despite my best efforts - just slightly too much food. This paled into insignificance, however, compared to the staggering quantity we got for main courses. There were two chicken dishes, one lamb, one prawn, one vegetable, dahl, nans and rice - again, multiplied several times. I don't think we managed to eat more than half of the curries, there was so much. The waiter assured me we had the right quantity, but we had to leave a distressingly large amount! We had two vegetarians with us, so they got a different, apparently very nice starter, then some extra vegetarian dishes. I would definitely recommend a banquet for large groups, but the normal menu is also very good for smaller parties.

Co.Durham
“Great food...great atmosphere...great city!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2010

Sachins most certainly delivers the finest punjabi cuisine every time. A must for those who have not yet tried and tested!

Newcastle upon Tyne
“Deeeeeeeelicious!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2010

Lovely restaurant with really nice 'feel' to it. Despite being very busy the night we were there, the staff couldn't have been more friendly or attentive. We didn't have a reservation, but they managed to squeeze us in after a short wait with a cold drink. The starters arrived promptly and were absolutely delicious. If anything the main courses were even better! Two of our party didn't want their food too spicy and the other two couldn't have it spicy enough, yet our waiter managed to recommend several dishes that were perfect for everyone. If you want delicious, traditional Punjabi cuisine at a very reasonable price, I really do recommend this place highly.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2010

I was recommended this restaurant as having the best Indian food in Newcastle so I was quite disappointed as I thought the food there was average and I have had better take aways. The service was good though the location is a bit out the way to other restaurants in the city.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
perth
“not the same since the man with the cowboy boots left”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2010

Bring back Dinesh, that is all I can say. I find it hard to believe the earlier comments on here (probably by friends of the current owner) I used to live in Newcastle and eat here all of the time and even moved to Scotland and gone down to get a take away and bring it back several hundred miles and it still tasted as good. Ate there recently and oh boy what a difference, I will never go back. This happened once before and they brought back this guru to cook the food as they could not cope without him. If he comes back let me know. For me the guy with the cowboy boots is Sachins and without him, it has lost it's flavour.