“Fab Lunch” 5 of 5 stars

+44 (0)191 261 5945
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Blackfriars Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: European, British, English
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Transit: Newcastle Central Station
Description: Blackfriars Restaurant in Newcastle is Britain���s oldest purpose-built restaurant, dating back to 1239 when it was used as a refectory by hungry monks. Luckily the food is a bit more modern, and the award-winning menu and historical surrounds have made this one of Newcastle���s most popular restaurants. Whether you���re dining in the candlelit medieval banquet hall, the intimate dining room or the garden terrace, be sure to arrive early for a delicious cocktail at the bar. The menu never fails to impress, and favourite dishes include the wild rabbit stew with prunes, roasted almonds and Jerusalem pur��e and grilled scallops with roast pumpkin, French beans and beetroot coulis. Blackfriars Restaurant has an acclaimed wine list.
Morpeth, United Kingdom
“Fab Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

My husband and I visited Blackfriars for a Valentine Lunch treat. We had the 2 course lunch menu, which I think is great value. The service was excellent and the food first class. If I was being really picky...I had the beef with horseradish dumpling...the amount of beef was plentiful and cooked beautifully, but only got 2 very small carrots. I couldnt have eaten any more and left nearly half of my meat, so less meat and more veg?

• Visited February 2014

Belfast, United Kingdom
“Incredible food.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Went during the week for the early midweek offer. 3 courses for £18 is fantastic value.

Highlights: smoked mackerel pate starter with delicious homemade bread. And the pork belly was ridiculously good. Perfectly cooked. I still think about it.

The restaurant itself is beautifully decorated, the staff were attentive, and I loved my meal.

I am going back soon.

• Visited January 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne
“very enjoyable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2014

Went to Blackfriars Restaurant for Burns Night which was our first time in the ‘banquet’ room which was amazing.
We’d arrived late so the first course was finished however we were asked whether we wanted some or would rather join everyone for the main course of haggis, neeps and tatties which was about to be served. We went for the soup which was great (a touch more seasoning for my palate) but the bread… oh my heavens, it is the best bread and butter I think I have ever tasted. Amazing.
The haggis was well presented and very tasty; as I wasn’t partaking of the whisky tasting with each course I just had some on my haggis which was dandy. Lovely turnip.
Weirdly for me the dessert of cranachan was the best of all – maybe it wasn’t over sweet or just the tastiest rasps but I almost finished it all which is seriously not me.
Anyway we had a couple of good bottles of Merlot and really enjoyed the evening.
To be honest at £45 per head and not being whisky drinkers we probably wouldn’t do it again but not because of anything the restaurant did wrong.
We will definitely be visiting again for the A La Carte though.
The staff really are an asset to the place too.

The negative – Scottish pipes for me every time on a Scottish festival, none of this Northumbrian pipes stuff

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“restaurant week in Newcastle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We tried this as part of the restaurant week, £10 for two course lunch. We both had the belly pork which was delicious. The potato was creamy, but could have done with a bit more and the veg was a little bit too hard, almost raw. We then had the parkin cake with banana ice-cream and custard sauce. Again very tasty, but would have liked a bit more sauce. Overall worth the money, infact would not have complained if it cost more. Staff were attentive, particularly well groomed was the young man. The only down side was the added service charge of 10%. It's not that I wouldn't have left a tip, but I feel it is up to me to decide whether I will and how much I leave. I know that I could refuse to pay it but that makes me seem mean and also I don't like bringing it up with other customers around. It seems that restaurants that do this are assuming that their staff will always give excellent service which they might but it seems a bit arrogant. Despite thoroughly enjoying the meal I probably won't go back as it annoys me that they are telling me how much I should be leaving.

• Visited February 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
UK
“Suits everyones taste”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

I've have visited Blackfriars quite a few times and without exception each experience has left me wanting to go back again soon.
The early dining menu is great value and whether you are going as a couple or a large group (with varying tastes/requirements) the food is perfect.

• Visited November 2013