“Illustration Masterclass with Catherine Rayner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Type: Children's Museums, Specialty Museums
Attraction Details
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Illustration Masterclass with Catherine Rayner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

A friend and I, who are both students, paid the £35 in October for this and had been looking forward to it ever since. It was not a disappointment! Catherine told us everything about how she had become such a well known illustrator, her working environment and days, her methods and even how she fitted her life around it. For students it was all so helpful! The lunch was great and there was plenty of it- it was a nice touch being included in the day! The only drawback was it only being six hours and the time went very quickly. I also think that the materials provided could have matched what Catherine used as we were all wanting to reproduce her work!

Visited February 2013

Co Durham
“lots to see and do”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Day trip with 5 and 8 year old daughters, 5 year old is a big Donaldson/Scheffler fan and 8 yr old loves the Cowell 'Hiccup Haddock Horrendous books' so we were well catered for with the 2 exhibitions, which they loved.

Activities were craft orientated and went down well.

Story telling every hour was also very good, though aimed more at the younger age group where a story is over, end to end, in 10-15 mins . catering to the older age group would be more difficult as they are more into books with chapters.

Cafe was very good and food quality good. We got there at 1145 and got a table straight away and prompt service-they were deluged at 1200 and other folk had to queue which can be tricky with hungry children ! My only gripe about the cafe was the dirty brown cups, saucers and teapots (we went twice and they were the same both times-they are supposed to be white !). I vaguley remember from student holidays spent grafting away in a kitchen that there is some stuff that you can soak them in to get rid of the tannin--or just give them a scrub !!!!!!! Yuck.

The bulk of the day was spent in the 2 exhibitions and I guess that if they were of no interest to/recognised by the child then the day would be much shorter and not as good value for money. So probably good to see whats on before you go. The special art event looked good but was fully booked.

All in all a good day out, made by the fact that fitted my girls' interests. Throw in a train and taxi journey and they were made !!!

Visited February 2013
London
“Dragons galore!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I went with my 4 year old cousin and had just as much fun as her!

We had dragon cutting and decorating, hat making, dragon story time in the attic and many museum style floors! Books everywhere to sit down and take five and a great value cafe! The bookshop on the way out is not to be missed either, a great selection for all ages.

Staff are unbelievably friendly and enthusiastic. I dropped £20 from my pocket and to my surprise a staff member had handed it into the reception! Amazing honesty! Would go back every holidays.

Visited October 2012
Newcastle, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
“Always plenty to do!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

We have been coming here for several years and the kids (now ages 6, 6, 4 and 2) always find something new to entertain themselves with. They love the craft activities as well as the story time. We have an annual pass now and it's a great place to come just for a short while or for a whole day.

Visited January 2013
Middlesbrough
7 attraction reviews
“Amazing land of make believe for children and parents!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

If you dont have kids borrom your nieces and nephews and head down to Seven Stories its a magical place, we are big Julia Donaldson fans so wanted to go while all her amazing characters were there. It was really quiet when we went so kids got involved in everything. My 11 year old was not entertained but happy to come along to watch his brothers (aged 5 and 14 mo nths)enjoy the magic. I think the admission charge is fair as you can easilly have three or four hours here. The cafe is reasonable and the home made food lovely. Shop well stocked and happy to buy a book each for kids. Only one complaint..... staff a buf miserable. The one who did story time ok and ones who wander round friendly but the cafe and shop staff seem to think they are above everyone. Cant wait for the enid blyton event, not sure my boys willbe bothered though!!!!! If you havent been....go

Visited December 2012