“Great if you are there for a wedding...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jesmond Dene House

You added Jesmond Dene House to your Saves list
Jesmond Dene House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jesmond Dene Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2EY, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Petworth, United Kingdom
“Great if you are there for a wedding...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

...not so great if you are not. As a couple on a weekend break in August we perhaps should have expected weddings at the hotel, and indeed there was one on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, so work around that AND the booming afternoon tea trade mainly taken by non-residents. As a hotel guest there really was nowhere to go, and at one wedding when my husband and I had found a quiet spot outside, we were shortly joined by a bride (she was absolutely lovely) and I felt we were intruding on her special day. Luckily our room (deluxe in a newer annexe to the hotel) was spacious, quiet and comfortable. We dined at the hotel on our first evening, which was outstanding, although the view from the conservatory was...wedding guests!! It is a very nice hotel in a very pretty part of Newcastle and I would certainly stay again - out of wedding season.

Room Tip: The newer annexe was stylishly decorated, comfortable and quiet. Our room did not have a great view...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Somerset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel on several occasions now and can honestly say that we have never been disappointed.
Our deluxe room was clean, comfortable and spacious with a lovely bathroom.
The food is exceptional - we had both a lunch snack and an evening meal - and the staff are friendly and professional.
A wonderful place to stay.

Middlewich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at the Jesmond Dene House on many occasions. We always have a fabulous well rounded luxury experience, however I do believe they have now raised the bar even higher!

We arrived at a very busy time in the rain and were greeted by a member of staff who happened to be walking passed our car. She asked if we required any assistance with our luggage. This I feel was going above and beyond the call of duty, it was raining and she could have easily walked back inside and we would not have blinked an eyelid. We later discovered the young lady was part of the reception team.

During checkin Leonard was very helpful, efficient and friendly (This was consistent to our previous visits). We usually stay in Room number 3 as this is our personal favourite, however we booked later than usual so as expected it was taken. Not to worry, we were advised room 24 was available (also a Deluxe Room) . We were very happy with room 24 this particular room has a garden view and is positioned
on the second floor. The hotel has obviously worked with some cleaver interior designers and architects and they have managed to keep many of its origanal features mixing them with beautiful quality items of furniture and luxurious finishing touches.
A special mention to the Arran Aromatic toiletries, fluffy dressing gowns/slippers and luxurious beds & pillows covered with Egyptian cotton sheets.

We usually have afternoon tea (highly recommend) but this time we booked the restaurant for our evening meal. We chose the 10 course tasting menu and we were not disappointed the first course was oysters followed by many amazing courses such as "Fish with out the chips" very cute!Parma ham,beef,squid,soup,pea and haddock mouse,strawberry tart and chocolate fudge cake. All very tantalising! The waitress Darina was amazing and the service was faultless all the staff at the JDH are friendly & efficient without being pretentious.

The room was very peaceful given a large wedding was taking place!!

Breakfast was 1st class as usual. We were offered tea/ coffee and freshly sqeezed orange juice.We then visited the continental breakfast area,I particularly love the smoked salmon! My partner loved the fresh mixed berries. We ordered the full English Breakfast and it came promptly on lovely warm plates and I can honestly say it was perfect! I decided to have a small glass of champagne that is served at breakfast, when I went up to the station a member of staff (perhaps the restaurant manager) insisted he bring it to our table (he knew the number) and he also asked if we had enjoyed our taster menu! I was very impressed he'd remembered as he didn't serve us during the evening and the restaurant was busy.
We shall be back very soon! We love this place!

• Stayed August 2013
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

A one night stay as part of a business trip. What a stunning hotel in the middle of Newcastle. Despite its location, completely quiet with most noise being made by pigeons roosting in the trees around the hotel grounds and lawns! Looks like an old stately home but really well done to save the historical features of the building and interior. Excellent service in the bar and restaurant and the food equally good. Wished I could have stayed longer!

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Co Durham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

My partner booked this hotel as a birthday present for me - we stayed in a junior suite and were pleasantly surprised to find a 1/2 bottle of champagne on the table as part of our celebration. Our room was on the ground floor in the new house and we had access to a shared garden. The gardens are full and beautifully kept - it is so lovely to see the abundance of flowers and fruit growing there. The food was wonderful as was the service we received from every member of staff. This is a special place - the small things make such a difference - including a hand written welcome note from the hotel managers. These touches are very personal and make you feel so much more welcome. Many congratulations to JDH for ticking every box.....

Northumberland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked a table in the Garden Room for our daughter's 21st birthday. There were eight of us. We had champagne in the lounge area before moving to our table. Everything was beautifully prepared and the food was excellent. All of the staff were professional, friendly and helpful. The evening could not have been more perfect and I would not hesitate to recommend the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

In July I stayed with my two sons at JDH for two nights for my younger son's graduation, the third occasion I have used this lovely hotel (see previous review 2012). Once again I have been impressed by the warmth and professionalism of all the staff as well as by the services provided. Any query is met with an immediate and enthusiastic response by articulate staff members who always find time to take a personal interest in their visitors and go out of their way to accommodate any requests.We had an excellent dinner in the restaurant on one evening and, as ever, the room service was in all aspects beyond reproach. I can only repeat that I cannot imagine staying anywhere else when I'm in Newcastle - each visit to JDH is a real pleasure and I am always made to feel as though I am among welcoming friends.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Jesmond Dene House? Share your experiences!