“First class hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jesmond Dene House

You added Jesmond Dene House to your Saves list
Jesmond Dene House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jesmond Dene Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2EY, England   |
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Exeter, United Kingdom
“First class hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I have just returned from the Jesmond Dene House and I cannot speak highly enough of it. I arrived after travelling from the airport which was about 15 minutes by taxi and the greeting I had from the staff was friendly and warm and they made me feel immediately at home.
I really did not want to leave the place after that. The breakfast menu is excellent, both continental and English and the quality of the food was first class. Also not just run of the mill choices, there were a few surprises which is nice to see.
The staff at this hotel must be the nicest I have come across. Nothing was too much trouble for anybody, from housekeeping to waiting staff. The standard of housekeeping are second to none with lots of attention to detail.
Morning coffee with the most sublime home made biscuits was the icing on the cake.
The food in the evening was delicious with a very popular restaurant within the hotel at very reasonable rates for the quality and service.
The room was lovely and we could hear the flow of the river from outside our room which was really restful and relaxing.
I happened to be visiting the Freeman hospital which is about a fifteen minute walk away and I think this is the closest hotel to the hospital.So my reason for visiting Newcastle was not the most pleasant but the Jesmond Dene House turned the experience into something very pleasant indeed.
In fact I think I have fallen just a little bit in love with the place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
North Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband and I have just returned from a very enjoyable weekend break at Jesmond Dene House.

The hotel is a beautiful Arts and Crafts-style country house which oozes character and charm - from the cosy, wood-panelled bars with blazing fires and squishy sofas, to the light and airy garden room.

We had a small double room which overlooked the garden. The room was beautifully designed; luxurious and stylish, yet comfortable. The bathroom had a sleek, modern look and was almost as big as the bedroom, with a huge bath and underfloor heating.

Breakfast was very impressive. We both opted for Full English which was perfectly cooked and absolutely delicious - although a passing plate of Eggs Benedict looked so good that I wondered whether I should have had that instead! And then again the kippers looked good too...

We enjoyed absolutely everything about our trip but the thing that really stood out was the staff. Absolutely everyone we came across was genuinely friendly, cheerful and helpful.

I would definitely recommend Jesmond Dene House.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

My family dined at the restaurant 22nd April 2012 for a birthday celebration. The staff are very polite and friendly. The food is fantastic freshly cooked bread and chilled butter many varieties to choose from. We all chose from the house menu which is reasonably priced i had steak, veg and triple cooked chips it was delicious but if I am allowed to criticise at all I would change the chips to roast potatoes or mash as a tad greasy for me. We were given a very tasty complimentary wild garlic soup followed by the most artistic deserts you have ever witnessed I didn't want to spoil the design on my plate. The whole experience was relaxing and I would recommend everyone visits. Well done to all the staff. Oh forgot to mention free chocolates aswell!

• Stayed April 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Try the Jesmond Dene Hotel. Beautifully appointed rooms. Excellent service. Probably the best Hotel in Newcastle On Tyne. Isobel helped me out on the booking, with the e-mails, and when we got there, I found her to be like family with her friendship. Would really love to go back again. Its a really old building with character, and the breakfasts we had there were wonderful. We have come home with wonderful memories, and would definitely recommend this little gem if you are looking for a place to stay in the north east midlands. We are from South Africa, so really appreciated seeing all this old beauty. In South Africa, everything is new, and if its a bit old it gets pulled down. The history in the UK is amazing. We have been to London a few times before, but this time my husband said lets go up to Scotland and see Edinburgh and St Andrews (where Kate and Wills met), we even drove past the little tea room they met in. We arrived from Heathrow, and hired a car, drove to Manchester for a few days then to the magic of Jesmond Dene for a few days, and then up through Edinburgh to St Andrews, where we stayed for a few days. We left the car at Edinburgh Airport, and flew back to London, and then stayed a week in London. The only problem we encountered with our set of plans, was that we flew business class from S.A. to Heathrow, therefore we were allowed 32kgs luggage, but flying back from Edinburgh to Heathrow, we were in economy (doesn't seem very easy to get a business class flight) and then it was 23 kgs, so we could not buy that much in Scotland. Then of course we went mad in London, and our bags weighed 31 and 32 kgs respectively, on our way home. Slept all the way. Thanks Jesmond Dene and Isobel, hope we make it back one day. Cindy Hodgkiss

Room Tip: The Junior suites are gorgeous, but they are not in the old part of the building, although when you...
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed 21st and 22nd April.This is a lovely hotel ,in a very convenient ,but quiet ,location,handy for the Metro to get into the city centre.The food was excellent and ,we thought ,very reasonably priced .Although our room was small ,it was vey well equipped and comfortable.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

It was going to be a special weekend break for the 4 of us (two couples) in the City where we had grown up many years before. Sunny weather always helps, but it was this wonderful hotel, its location, the staff (extremely friendly without being overbearing), and the food (dinner and sumptious breakfasts) served in picture-perfect surroundings that made our stay a truly special experience. For my wife and I it was our second stay. We had stayed in a standard/Classic room before which was a bit on the small side, and so went for the Superior one this time (20); it was perfect....with a massive bathroom! The hotel is located easy distance from Gosforth High Street, Jesmond, the Dene (for wonderful walks past brooks and waterfalls), and the city centre. On the downside: there were no tissues in our room; and the wedding disco on Sat. night, though it stopped at midnight, meant we didn't get a lot of sleep before an early start on Sun. Double glazing might help?! Dil.

Middlewich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We have stayed at the Jesmond dene house hotel Many times. We love everything about it, the setting the atmosphere the friendly attentive staff and of course the superb rooms.

We had the pleasure of meeting the hotel manager Scott who we were equally impressed with.

We usually stay in room three as I love the main part of the house the rooms are very modern and individual yet the have so much character.

Afternoon tea is a must, and the breakfast is fab, we always chose the English breakfast although you can still help yourself to the extensive buffet that consists of : smoked salmon,variety of fruit,selection of cheese,chutneys, celery and meats not to mention the pastries, & muffins. You can also help your self to fresh pure orange juice or champagne.

The decor in the entire house is fab, comfortable and of a high standard.
The interior designer did a great job.

The city centre is about 4-5 miles away in a taxi and the hotel are more than happy to organise one for you. We tend to pop into Jesmond as it has many eaterys and bars it reminds us of some of the towns/villages here in Cheshire such as Alderley Edge, Knusford or Hale. The people are extra friendly and always pleasant. There are some lovely boutiques as well if you fancy treating yourself or your partner.

I must admit we have not had chance to dine in the hotel Restaurant, apart from afternoon tea/breakfast although I have heard rave reviews and we will be doing so during our next visit for sure!

If you prefer to eat out we love Louis and the new manager Tom is excellent as is the chef. We also loved the Cherry Tree, they are both first class.

The hotel rooms have everything you could ask for and the beds/matresses are very comfortable. The Arran aromatic toiletries are so lovely we purchased
Some online for home.
I would suggest If you prefer a room with character That you kindly request a room in the main house , we have stayed in the modern junior suites and they are spacious and equally gorgeous but obviously they are new and they don't have the same character.

All the staff at the hotel are excellent,Ryan was very helpful as were the reception and restaurant staff.
There seemed to be an event on during our stay however this did not effect the service we recieved.

The hotel is 5 star quality without being stuffy or overbearing.

We have never taken our children although we have seen a few children who were well behaved and not seen to be an inconvineace. So the hotel is definitely family friendly.

We would consider ourselves well traveled and have stayed in many 5 star hotels and the Jesmond dene House hotel is well on par with the best.

• Stayed January 2013

Been to Jesmond Dene House? Share your experiences!