“Christmas Break” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Jesmond Dene House

Save Saved
You added Jesmond Dene House to your Saves list
Jesmond Dene House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jesmond Dene Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2EY, England   |
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel during the Christmas 2012 break while visiting relatives in Newcastle. The standard of the rooms was excellent! The beds were enormous and very comfy and the food was lovely.

For various reasons we had to change our booking (nothing relating to the hotel) and we could not have the same room on both nights. The first night we stayed in room 11 which was a little small but had a HUGE roof terrace and had we stayed there over the summer, it would have been amazing! In this room we had just shower facilities. I would have preferred a bath as well, to relax in but the shower room in this case was ok. Minor issues with the room was dealt with promptly

The second night we stayed in room 4. This room appeared a lot bigger and the bathroom was a lot nicer in this room.

Staff were friendly, welcoming and knowledgeable about the foods and wines. We very much enjoyed our stay and will definitely come back to this hotel!! I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

568 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

This is one of several afternoon tea trips I have had to Jesmond Dene House and it was excellent . The cakes were amazing the best being a choux bun filled with a baileys Irish cream and dripping in chocolate . Delicious .
There was also a lovely frangipan tartlet and fruit cake . The tea kept flowing and we were offered a choice from breakfast tea to more exotic blends. We were not rushed and just left to enjoy the afternoon.
I would recommend booking as it seemed busy but that is a good sign . Great experience

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

The air was pungent with the smell of pine.Wood crackled on the open fire. The bubbles in the champagne twinkled like fairy lights. Christmas carols played softly in the background. Such a wonderful setting for our Christmas day lunch at Jesmond Dene House.
The food was exquisite!! I have eaten at some ‘fancy’ hotels around the world. This meal was one of the best I have eaten. Congratulations to all of the staff!! I can’t wait to book for next year!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This venue is my favourite place to eat, drink and stay in the North East. I've dined many times and even been lucky enough to stay over on a few occasions and the food is always superb and the accommodation never fails to please. Had an amazing Christmas party night last week with a group of friends and we had a wonderful festive evening in the amazing Great Hall of the hotel. Our night was topped off with an overnight stay in fantastic accommodation with THE most fab breakfast the next morning. Needless to say, we'll all be returning to enjoy this great hotel soon.

Room Tip: All rooms are individual and won't disappoint.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here on 21st Dec to attend a Christmas Party night with friends. The hotel itself is beautiful - cosy, welcoming and intimate. The food during both the party night and breakfast the following morning was delicious and beautifully presented. And finally our room - what can I say but that it was fab and it was just a shame that we didn't get to spend longer in it! I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed December 2012
East Anglia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I stayed with my husband and daughter at Jesmond Dene House Hotel in November. A special treat for my daughter's birthday.
We chose the tasting menu together with tasting wines.... we were treated like royalty, and ate like kings.
All the members of staff were so friendly and helpful.
The atmosphere for such a large hotel was cosy and intimate. Our room (in the new block) was absolutely luxurious.
The breakfast, was absolutely the best I've ever had at a hotel - if you visit, I hope they have their own honeycomb on the menu, it is fabulous!
If you have deep pockets, or have saved for a very special treat, you'll not be disappointed at Jesmond Dene.

Room Tip: We actually stayed two nights, checking out - then checking back in again. We stayed on the top flo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Totnes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I grew up with Jesmond Dene and the parks as my childhood playground, it's not often I visit the 'Toon' these days therefor when I had the chance to spend a few days there recently I simply had to book this hotel which is just off the woodland paths of the amazing Dene.

Scott and his team go a long way to ensure that your stay is both trouble free and relaxing. I was gifted a suite for two nights and it was spacious and luxurious. Very warm, but with adjustable heating controls and windows which open. Good bathroom, with underfloor heating. Would have loved a bath (but reckon I was spoiled enough).

Service is typically Northern, warm, genuine and friendly (makes me proud to be a Geordie). Breakfast was good, really loved that they cooked fresh plum tomatoes and left the canned alone. It's a large enough breakfast to set anyone up for the day.

I dined in the restaurant on my first evening. Unobtrusive, yet attentive service, and delightful selection of fare. Truly enjoyed the scallops and the duck, and had no room for dessert. Wish I'd left room to try the cheese selection which appeared in a huge glass trolley and contained some real beauties.

Overall I highly recommend the venue, it's not far from the town centre (10 mins by taxi), but far enough away to make you feel you've been transported into the countryside. Great for walks, drinks by the fire and a bit of spoiling yourself.

Room Tip: Suites are comfy and spacious!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Jesmond Dene House? Share your experiences!