“Fabulous relaxing stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Jesmond Dene House

Save Saved
You added Jesmond Dene House to your Saves list
Jesmond Dene House
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jesmond Dene Road, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2EY, England   |
West Midlands
“Fabulous relaxing stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed overnight with my husband's parents to celebrate his birthday and booked 2 superior rooms. We requested rooms on the upper floors overlooking the garden and nearby Jesmond Dene. Both rooms were lovely with large windows and quality furniture and fittings and complimentary mineral water and fruit was provided. Our room was larger with a quirky shaped bathroom (shower only which suited us), very comfortable bed and was beside the Dene so we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the waterfall within it. I was very happy with our room and would request that room again on a future stay.
The hotel is just outside the city centre in the residential area of Jesmond and parking is ample (at no charge). Walks in the large park (the Dene) are recommended and the nearby Osborne Road area offers a range of bars and restaurants. We didn't dine in the hotel restaurant but did have a snack lunch in the bar and we also really enjoyed breakfast.
I really liked this hotel, the service, the Jesmond area generally and will be back!

Room Tip: Opt for a view of the garden/Jesmond Dene on an upper floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

528 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Durham
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed here for one night to celebrate my husband's birthday. Junior suite in the 'New House' (room 38) was spacious and comfortable, although I was disappointed not to have a bath, and the shower although large had a small fixed shower head which was too low for my 5ft 11 husband, and he hit his head on it. Not luxurious enough bathroom for a suite by any means. Dinner was at best mediocre. My soused sardines were overpowered by the accompaniments of green olive tapenade and goat's cheese, while a ham hock terrine ordered by my husband had a small amount of completely tasteless pease pudding. We both chose duck for our main courses, and returned them to the kitchen as both pieces were tough. Breakfast was good but we had a lengthy wait as our order had been lost. Finally on check out £44 had been added to our bill for champagne and canapés when this should have been included in our celebration package. I really wanted to say this was perfect, but it wasn't.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had stayed in a classic room earlier in the year and had cause to complain about the room. The hotel management graciously afforded us an invitation to return and we had an altogether more relaxing and enjoyable experience. The room was airy with large windows and overlooked the gardens and part of the car park. Last time we had stayed it had been a Saturday night in September. We arranged to return on a Saturday in October but unfortunately had to cancel due to illness. We assumed then that we had missed our chance. However, it appeared that the invitation still stood and we returned on a Wednesday in November. We were made to feel at home from the moment we arrived. The staff were as friendly and professional as we had remembered and the food once again to die for. The young waiter knew his cheese board and was able to advise on my selection. Breakfast also offered an array of choice. We left the hotel rested and refreshed. Will we return? You bet!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens or car park.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed 7th July with my husband’s parents for his birthday. We had booked a Junior Suite but as I had a problem with my leg, on check-in, we requested to move rooms and asked for one with a walk in shower. The reception staff could not have been more helpful and accommodating. Within a few minutes we had moved into a beautiful room with a wonderful wet room.

As it was my husband’s birthday we decided to have the tasting menu for dinner, which was out of this world. Every course was delicious and beautifully presented. The cornbeef hash was amazing and the chocolate and banana sphere was to die for. It was so good we decided to do it all again and have booked to return for my mother-in-laws birthday at the end of November.

We try to visit the hotel at least once a month for lunch or dinner and love to treat ourselves and stay overnight. The hotel is a gorgeous place to relax and unwind with wonderful, attentive staff and delicious food. What more could you ask for.

Magnificent

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Jesmond dene house is wonderful venue for a wedding reception My daughter and son in laws choice of venue couldnt have been better the staff are so attentive and welcoming.The bedroom was spotlessly clean and the most amazing huge bath and under floor heating. The whole hotel has a relaxing atmosphere with plenty rooms where you can just chill.I dont live far from this little oasis in the middle of Newcastle and I am looking forward to testing their sunday lunches.I have only one small moan the breakfast although nice I did not think it was anything special for the price £17.00 This is a great hotel in the heart of Newcastle if you are planning a wedding its a great choice.

Room Tip: Dont book rooms that surrond great hall if youre not part of the wedding party
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I have lived in Newcastle for close to 30 years and never been to Jesmond Dene House ( although I am led to believe that it has only been a hotel for the last 10 years or so)

The fact that I live no more than a mile away may have had something to do with this but we were going to a wedding and the wife decreed we were staying over!

Check in was professional polite and efficient..and everything else followed the same theme.

The entire hotel was spotlessly clean with ample rooms where you can chill out. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff who were attentive without being over bearing.

The bedroom was adequate with an excellent shower bathroom with underfloor heating etc. Complimentary water and fruit are also in the rooms as standard.

The bed was absolutely huge and so comfortable I almost missed breakfast the following morning!

Only 2 small gripes... Our room (10) has the creakiest floorboards I have ever encountered and secondly the breakfast although nice I was disappointed that it was nothing special given the rest of the stay.

However it has to be said that if you are looking for a great hotel within 2 miles of the centre if Newcastle for a special occassion you will not do better.

• Stayed October 2012
Tynemouth, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

If you are looking for somewhere to hold a wedding reception, look here. If you are thinking of looking for other places, stop wasting your time. Jesmond Dene House (JDH from now on) is perfect.
My daughter was married on 27th October 2012 at St George's Cullercoats and we had he reception at JDH. We had 80 guests for the reception proper and another 30 for the evening reception. The Hall is superb for a wedding of this size. We had nine tables including the top table. After a reception drink and canapés (whilst a fabulous photographer, Helen Russell, did her stuff) we had a meal to die for. The food was excellent. The house wine was lovely. The service was immaculate and extremely prompt. There were plenty of staff and they worked their socks off. We had a half-hour turnaround when the hall was reconfigured for the evening event. That went really smoothly too. The evening buffet was superb.
After it all we retired to comfortable, warm rooms and slept soundly. Breakfast was better than I have had anywhere.
Going back a few months, the event organisers (esp. Kate) were amazing.
This is, genuinely and honestly, a brilliant place to "do" a wedding.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Jesmond Dene House? Share your experiences!