“defo not wat we expected” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Euro Hostel Newcastle

You added Euro Hostel Newcastle to your Saves list
Euro Hostel Newcastle
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Carliol Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6UQ, England   |
Belfast, United Kingdom
“defo not wat we expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

myself and friend wen to visit a friend in middlesbrough at uni and decided to stay in newcastle the sat nite we were not sure wat 2expect as have had bad hostel experince before but it was fantastic staff were very friendly room was clean, spacious and i have actually stayed in hotels dat hasn been as good! beds were comfy and pillows were amazing! only 1 downfall we got chicken and bacon panni's and we didn like them was basically no filling and was over done this has defo not put me off coming back as i plan 2come back with ma partner! over all fantastic stay :)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Hi Carol

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

It was pleasing to note that you seemed to enjoy your stay with and, on the whole, we seemed to exceed your expectations.

Thanks for the feedback on the paninis. This has already been fed back to our team and supplier for immediate improvement.

We hope you will come and see us again soon. Thanks again

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Triple room for £42 with student discount, opted for the extra £9 for 2pm checkout.

Never seen a hostel like it. More like a hotel. Massive room which could have slept 5 all to ourselves (two sets of bunkbeds, one of them double). Bathroom and shower very clean as was the room. Did the job. It was more like a wetroom, but what more do you need?

Overall, an excellent stay, ensuite room with bedding and towels provided for £14 each! Bargain! Didn't have time to sample the breakfast (I was still asleep)

Excellent staff too, especially the receptionist who checked us in, very chatty and very nice.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Stiofan88

Thanks for taking the time to provide a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments, particularly on the friendly and chatty team members.

Thanks again for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the very near future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

coming to newcastle to party with a girlfriend we were looking for cheap accommodation so we chose the euro hostel, a bit sceptical of our decision, when we arrived that was changed, it is more like a hotel then a hostel, we had a private room on the first floor, room was spacious, clean and had good beds, had heating and had a window with a view, staff were very friendly and helpful and were very welcoming to guests, the hostel is in a great location to newcastle nightlife,shops and the quayside and eating areas, the pub downstairs is also a great place to pre drink and eat with cheap prices and good food good place to meet other hostel goers too, the bathrooms in the room were decent aswell, all in all a great experience, defenitley value for money and if I ever return to newcastle I would defenitley stay here again!

the only negative of our trip was the noise of other guests at 5 in the morning, but ohwell!

Thankyou euro hostel!

guest!

• Stayed January 2013
Hi Molly0804

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to note that you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your stay with us.

Your feedback is very important to us, both to ensure the standards of service we offer remain high and to improve on any areas of concern.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon in the near future.
Red Bluff, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

My sister and I enjoyed a 9 night stay at this hostel. Although we are beyond the average age of people staying at this hostel, we found it a delightful place to stay. We had a good room with a view, TV, free wireless, and one of the greatest showers of our trip. Lots of pressure and abundant hot water. The clean well cared for Hostel was surpassed by the staff who were extremely helpful and polite. They were there to offer any help needed. The taxi service associated with the hotel was also friendly and fair. The location was excellent close to buses and attractions like the Grainger Market and the Tyne Cinema. The bub was excellent serving excellent beers. We especially enjoyed the Newcastle Dark Ale. The breakfast were good and the coffee excellent.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hello Airfish

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to read your comments and noted that you seemed to enjoy every aspect of your stay.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope to be able to welcome you back to the hostel in the very near future.
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Found myself at a loose end in Newcastle and having never been thought I stay. Google came up with this place.

Firstly, the place is wonderfully central being only 5 minutes (if that) from Eldon Square. Not sure how long this place has been open but looked very new. Receptionist was very friendly and had me checked-in in no time. The whole place is controlled via credit card style keys including the lift. Went up to room which had 4 metal bunk beds each had a small reading light which was great but though that the light was too bright i.e. if others wanted to sleep the light leak be too strong. Was surpassed to see that all the bedding was white! there was a cup, a survey and some local information on my assigned bunk which was nice. Under the bunk there was a lockable draw (bring your own padlock) which is big enough for a largish day pack (40ltrs?) but not suitcases. There was an on-suite shower room and separate toilet which in a dorm is great.
I'll say here and now that I think that this was the most comfortable hostel bed I've ever slept in The duvet was light but warm the mattress supporting but not overly firm. Slept like a baby which was good because the person in the bunk above was in training for the 2016 Olympic Snoring Gold medal.
Woke early and took a shower unfortunately the shower curtain didn't fit all the way to the floor which in any case didn't appear level leaving the entire floor wet. The other thing was that there was only 1 hook for my clothes and towel and NOWHERE to put my shower gel or shampoo other than the floor. Really disappointed!

Went down for breakfast which was laid out in the "pub" section which had a number of TV's tuned into news channels using subtitles. There was fruit juice, toast, cereal, tea and coffee. Basic but fine. Didn't feel any 'eyes' noticing if you had an extra slice of toast or anything. Was disappointed to see so many people not clearing there tables not only for the benefit of people coming in but also the member of staff appeared to have mobility problems and it would have been nice.

Came back in evening to get some 'local knowledge' for a decent place to eat and have to admit that the receptionist with her geordie accent had the heart a flutter (sorry!) but again friendly and helpful as ever. Will definitely be my first choice when ever in Newcastle

This place really is top class which if it could take a look at the bathrooms would be a solid 5 star hostel for me. As I can't award 4.5 stars it has to be 4.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hello Indigo Squared

Thank you for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return to see us again in the near future.

I fully value your appraisal of our dorm room shower facilites and, thanks to your comments hi-lighting these issues, I will endeavour to improve these for any future visits.

I'd like that fifth star!

Thanks again for your comments
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for a 3 night break in November while visiting Newcastle. Was surprised to find it a lot nicer than thought it would be. Me and my friend booked a private room, it had two bunk beds in and a en suite bathroom. Was very clean and tidy and beds were comfy too. The bathroom was very small but the power on the shower was amazing. We didn't have breakfast so can't rate that but there is a bar in the hotel that supplied meals, snacks and drinks. Very central location minutes from shopping Pilgrim Street/Northumberland Street/Eldon Square etc. All in all for what we paid very pleased. Certainly the nicest hostel I have ever seen or stayed in :)

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello marmite x

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback and it was great to note that your stay was a success and you enjoyed your time with us in the north east.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Ok, one doesn't expect much when one checks in to these sort of places. And our expectations were met. Three of us sharing a room. Beds no problem. Bathroom a bit of an obstacle. To use the toilet entailed having one foot in the shower and to use the shower made everything in the bathroom wet, including the toilet. My two greatest niggles with this place concern night duty staff and breakfast. We were disturbed from our sleep by gangs of idiots running and screaming through the corridors at 3 am for over half an hour, letting off extinguishers and generally being yobs. We remonstrated with them and they wanted a fight. Where were the staff then ?
We paid an extra few quid for the alleged breakfast. It consisted of bacon, undercooked then reheated in the microwave, sausages that seemed to be full of a mystery meat paste, deep fried then microwaved, scarmbled eggs microwaved so long they were like bullets. Tomatoes which were ok and toast. I managed the tomatoes and toast but the rest was vomit inducing. Quite the worst breakfast I have ever had.Never again will I darken these doors and if you like food and sleep I recommend you give it a miss too.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Euro Hostel Newcastle? Share your experiences!