“Fantastic hostel! shame about the bathrooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Euro Hostel Newcastle

You added Euro Hostel Newcastle to your Saves list
Euro Hostel Newcastle
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Carliol Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6UQ, England   |
London
“Fantastic hostel! shame about the bathrooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Found myself at a loose end in Newcastle and having never been thought I stay. Google came up with this place.

Firstly, the place is wonderfully central being only 5 minutes (if that) from Eldon Square. Not sure how long this place has been open but looked very new. Receptionist was very friendly and had me checked-in in no time. The whole place is controlled via credit card style keys including the lift. Went up to room which had 4 metal bunk beds each had a small reading light which was great but though that the light was too bright i.e. if others wanted to sleep the light leak be too strong. Was surpassed to see that all the bedding was white! there was a cup, a survey and some local information on my assigned bunk which was nice. Under the bunk there was a lockable draw (bring your own padlock) which is big enough for a largish day pack (40ltrs?) but not suitcases. There was an on-suite shower room and separate toilet which in a dorm is great.
I'll say here and now that I think that this was the most comfortable hostel bed I've ever slept in The duvet was light but warm the mattress supporting but not overly firm. Slept like a baby which was good because the person in the bunk above was in training for the 2016 Olympic Snoring Gold medal.
Woke early and took a shower unfortunately the shower curtain didn't fit all the way to the floor which in any case didn't appear level leaving the entire floor wet. The other thing was that there was only 1 hook for my clothes and towel and NOWHERE to put my shower gel or shampoo other than the floor. Really disappointed!

Went down for breakfast which was laid out in the "pub" section which had a number of TV's tuned into news channels using subtitles. There was fruit juice, toast, cereal, tea and coffee. Basic but fine. Didn't feel any 'eyes' noticing if you had an extra slice of toast or anything. Was disappointed to see so many people not clearing there tables not only for the benefit of people coming in but also the member of staff appeared to have mobility problems and it would have been nice.

Came back in evening to get some 'local knowledge' for a decent place to eat and have to admit that the receptionist with her geordie accent had the heart a flutter (sorry!) but again friendly and helpful as ever. Will definitely be my first choice when ever in Newcastle

This place really is top class which if it could take a look at the bathrooms would be a solid 5 star hostel for me. As I can't award 4.5 stars it has to be 4.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Hello Indigo Squared

Thank you for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and would return to see us again in the near future.

I fully value your appraisal of our dorm room shower facilites and, thanks to your comments hi-lighting these issues, I will endeavour to improve these for any future visits.

I'd like that fifth star!

Thanks again for your comments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for a 3 night break in November while visiting Newcastle. Was surprised to find it a lot nicer than thought it would be. Me and my friend booked a private room, it had two bunk beds in and a en suite bathroom. Was very clean and tidy and beds were comfy too. The bathroom was very small but the power on the shower was amazing. We didn't have breakfast so can't rate that but there is a bar in the hotel that supplied meals, snacks and drinks. Very central location minutes from shopping Pilgrim Street/Northumberland Street/Eldon Square etc. All in all for what we paid very pleased. Certainly the nicest hostel I have ever seen or stayed in :)

Hello marmite x

Thanks for taking the time to write a review on Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I genuinely appreciate your feedback and it was great to note that your stay was a success and you enjoyed your time with us in the north east.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future.
Yorkshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

Ok, one doesn't expect much when one checks in to these sort of places. And our expectations were met. Three of us sharing a room. Beds no problem. Bathroom a bit of an obstacle. To use the toilet entailed having one foot in the shower and to use the shower made everything in the bathroom wet, including the toilet. My two greatest niggles with this place concern night duty staff and breakfast. We were disturbed from our sleep by gangs of idiots running and screaming through the corridors at 3 am for over half an hour, letting off extinguishers and generally being yobs. We remonstrated with them and they wanted a fight. Where were the staff then ?
We paid an extra few quid for the alleged breakfast. It consisted of bacon, undercooked then reheated in the microwave, sausages that seemed to be full of a mystery meat paste, deep fried then microwaved, scarmbled eggs microwaved so long they were like bullets. Tomatoes which were ok and toast. I managed the tomatoes and toast but the rest was vomit inducing. Quite the worst breakfast I have ever had.Never again will I darken these doors and if you like food and sleep I recommend you give it a miss too.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Stayed here as part of a group in November and was relly impressed. Clean & basic rooms, perfect as a base as we didnt spend much time in the rooms anyway! Staff were fantastic from reception staff to the bar staff (Toni & Shan I think) who were always friendly and put up with alot from our noisy group! Having worked in hotels before I really felt that staff were top class and the hostel really does border on a budget hotel! (It's nicer than some travelodges in my opinion!)

Room Tip: We booked a large room (for eight or ten people) even though there was ony 6 of us, this meant we ha...
Hi Whiter4

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay with Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments, in particular your compliments on our team.

We all hope you will return and see us again in the near future.

Thanks again
cardiff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

i stayed here 24th - 26th november 2012 for a weekend away for my birthday with 2 friends. Only paid £20 each per night, very sceptical about staying at a hostel.
When we arrived, we were VERY suprised how central it was! literally a 2 minute walk from northumberland st (shopping) and loads of bars within walking distance. Quayside is also a 10 minute walk. I would never think of this place as a hostel i had in mind, it was just an amazing value hotel.
We had paid extra for a private room, which has en-suite facilities, 2 bunkbeds, tv and window that opens. I read previous reviews that rooms can get quite hot, i certainly not think this.
Only negatives i have is that the en-suite was smaller then one you would get in a caravan and can only fit 1 person in, and our room was right next to the lift and door so this could get pretty noisy.
Friendly staff and great facilities!
But overall i had an amazing experience here, and i have just booked to stay at the glasgow hostel. I wish Euro Hostel were all over the UK!!!

Room Tip: pay extra for private..
Hello Ceri J

Many thanks for taking the time to review Euro Hostel Newcastle for Tripadvisor.

I was delighted to read your comments and that your party seemed to have enjoyed a great weekend.

Thanks also for your feedback on the ensuite bathrooms. We'll certainly bear the size in mind when we plan our future sites.

Thanks once again for your feedback and I hope you will come and see us again soon.
Reuver, The Netherlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

As far as hostels are concerned, this place is very nice. Though this was a mistake-booking ("hostel" was mistaken for "hotel"), it wasn't too bad at all. The building and all of the furnishings seemed new or newly-renovated, everything was clean and well-lit, though our room did not have a window, which I found very strange and made for pretty stuffy air (however a fan was provided in the room). The shower was nice and hot and the shower head was adjustable and worked well. The mattresses were good and we slept well, though there were some parties of younger kids coming in around 4am who woke us up for a bit. All in all, it was a very nice place, good location and GREAT if you're expecting a hostel. Just ok if you're expecting a hotel.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a window! Was strange and stuffy having a room without one.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Hello AM S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for Tripadvisor on your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was pleased to note that you seemed to enjoy your stay with us, despite originally looking fro hotel accommodation.

I do hope you will consider staying with us again on your next visit to the area.

Thanks once again for your comments
glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on a stag do. With 8 to a room, and £30 a night you know it's not going to have much to live up to and it done the job. Rooms are clean and functional. Showers were actually very good. Staff were friendly and helpful enough. I should have paid heed to the other reports on the cooked breakfast - it's truly awful. Conversely, the selection of cereals, toast and spreads etc was excellent and the pre-paid card which entitled me to my second cooked breakfast now resides in my wallet as a memento of a mad weekend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Hello Se7enty2wo

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

Overall you appeared to have enjoyed your stay with us (apart from the cooked breakfast).

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope to see you again soon.

Been to Euro Hostel Newcastle? Share your experiences!