“great location - bargain price” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Euro Hostel Newcastle

You added Euro Hostel Newcastle to your Saves list
Euro Hostel Newcastle
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17 Carliol Square, Newcastle upon Tyne NE1 6UQ, England   |
Whitby, United Kingdom
“great location - bargain price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for xmas shopping and a gig in December - only downside was the bar was shut for a private party - room was nice and clean and because we had extra bed's we also had extra quilts to use as we were really cold when we got back late at night. Great breakfast too. Returning in March with my Bf for another gig, fingers crossed we can try the bar this time

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
WilliamMcClelland, Managing Director at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, January 27, 2012
Hi There,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review on Trip Advisor.

It's great to hear you had a good time in Newcastle and are planning to come back in March.

Look forward to seeing you then.

Thanks again.

William

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Wouldn't stay again. Good points: nice staff; cheap; fairly clean; snazzy building design, great location. Awful points: room was very cold and couldnt get it to warm up. Swastika still visible on my room door where apparently a guest the previous week had drawn it in toothpaste. The cigarette butts on the carpet in the foyer should give you a clue as to what youve let yourself in for. Group of people next door so noisy I couldnt sleep. they were repeatedly warned until 2 of them were removed at 5.30 am. I had been up and down from bed so often, I decided to sleep in my clothes for the last 2 hours as was too tired to have to dress from scratch again. I heard other group making loads of noise and was annoyed by two drunk guys in the lift at about 5am. People just seem to wander about this place drinking and making loads of noise. Manager apologised in the morning when I approached him about it but that was it and a shrug of the shoulders. Not even a partial refund was offered. Do not stay here unless you intend to get so drunk you'll pass out and not hear any noise. I was here for 1 night on business after a very long and tiring day and it was the worst stay Ive had anywhere. and I was on the top floor at the furthest away end. You would think I would have had peace!! Shame, because I liked the place apart from that.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
WilliamMcClelland, Managing Director at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Hi There,

Thanks for writing your review here on Trip Advisor.

I am aware that the property has had some issues with heating but that these are all now corrected.

As far as your other points are concerned I am very concerned to read that your sleep was so disrupted by the selfishness of others. I am pleased the team were trying to keep the noise of others to a minimum and delighted they took action to remove those that showed such a lack of respect to other customers. It sounds like they should have evicted them sooner so for this I apologise.

I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay and wonder would you be kind enough to make contact with a phone number so that I may call you?

williamm@euro-hostels.co.uk

I hope to speak with you soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2011

We stayed in this hostel for about a week and we were really satisfied of the service given. It is in a central locaiton close to the monument station( one of the main stations), grey street(Newcastle's main street) and northumberland road(this is the main shopping street of the city). It is also really close to a police station so we felt really safe in the area. The rooms are pretty basic however they were clean and had all that was required. The employees are also really friendly and were able to answer all the questions we required.

What we really liked was also the fact that there is a laundry room and a kitchen where we could store and cook your own meals. You could not do that in a hotel :) but you can do that here. Sometimes we purchased food from supermarkets(tesco is like 5 minutes walk from the hostel) and then stored the food in the available fridges and cooked it on the available microwave and ovens/cooker. For the price we also had a continental breakfast with cereals, toast, juice and a coffe / hot choclate /mocha machine it was fair enough for us but if you prefer they also had another option if you add around 3 GBP.
What I really appreciate is the added effort that they try to provide given that this is a hostel.. Mind you nothing luxuriously fancy but a lot of little things that really do make a difference, for example during the breakfast they provide the metro newspapers, in the recpetion they have a lot of brochures and maps of the area , and free wifi in the ware rooms (the hostel's restaurant).

Some things you should note if you are going here is that they do not provide free towels every day you will have to rent the towels for 1 GBP every night.

We also tried to have a drink at the ware rooms (restaurant/bars) the bar gets really busy on weekend with a lot of local youths. The prices are quite fair and we enjoyed the experience.

I would really suggest this if you are on a budget but at the same time want something central, clean and cosy. :)

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hi Trisia,

Thanks for taking the time to write your review following your stay in Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I am absolutely delighted you had such a good time and will make sure all of your comments are shared with the team.

I hope next time your in Newcastle you choose to stay with us again.

Thanks again.

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

You have to make your own bed, the floor had wet patches, the room was so cold the bedding was damp, the room was dirty the mattress protector's was dirty, the bathroom smelt as did the toilet.

When we went to go out the hall smelt of smoke and there was fag end's so clearly the smoke alarms do not work very well!!!
Inside the room you heard every noise outside your room.

The room we stayed in was a dorm so ment for strangers however you are basicly on top of one another the room was so small we had to take turns to get ready

The complaints procedure is very poor in the morning we complained and was advised the manager would have to deal with our complaint and he was not in until monday, he also never called.

I will be following this up with a formal complaint to them.

Room Tip: Pick a different place
Hi There,

Thanks for writing your review on Trip Advisor.

I am absolutely appalled at the experience you have had in our Newcastle property and I sincerely apologise for what was clearly an unacceptable stay.

I am aware that the property has had some problems with heating and has been let down by the builder in getting these matters attended to but I know that the issues are all corrected now.

Your other points have been addressed with the team and must not be allowed to happen again.

Could I ask you to contact me directly as I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your stay personally? williamm@euro-hostels.co.uk

Many thanks and my apologies again.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

Stayed in the Eurohostel for 2 nights in October, great stay and would def recommend it! Was travelling on my own but ended up having a family room which would fit 4-5 to myself, plenty of room and simple decor. Feels more like a hotel than a hostel, especially with the bar/restuarant downstairs which does lovely food. Seemed to attract a lot of locals which was nice! Also very close to the city centre shops, and other prominent sights. Breakfast was basic but for what you're paying good value - cereal, toast and tea/coffee + free newspaper. Reception staff - very friendly also.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
WilliamMcClelland, Managing Director at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Hi Frances,

Thanks for writing your review here on Trip Advisor.

It sounds like you had a great stay and we hope to see you again soon .

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

Stayed in November as a base for a couple of nights out in Newcastle. Booked a private room for 4 and were moved to a private room for 8, this comprised of 4 single bunk beds. Room had 2 toilets and 2 showers which were excellent.

Ive stayed in far worse travelodges than this and for cost per night, this place is a real hit. I dont think I would be able to do more than a few days here due to the cramped room size.

Pros:

*Excellent location, bang in the city centre
*Cheap price, we paid £20 pppn
*Helpful staff
*Lively bar, always people in there
*Few extra things you wouldnt of expected from a hostel such as soap and shower gel in the showers
*The room seemed noise proof as the large group next door could not be heard in our room.
*Very Clean

Con's

*This is a place where the majority of the rooms will be large groups, stag/hen or young groups such as the price range, this didnt cause us any issue however it may do depending on what groups are in the hostel.
*You cant shut the windows, therefore the temperature in the room becomes very cold!
*The rooms are very small, I wouldnt want to be in a room for 8 when its full, it would be very crowded. This was evident by groups of girls getting ready in the corridors! You may come across a sight or two if this is the case!

Room Tip: By reading other reviews ask to move if you get a room without a window!
Hi There,

Thanks for taking the time to write about your stay in Euro Hostel Newcastle.

It's great to read all of your comments and from this feedback we can continue to improve our product and service.

This is the first time I have been inforrmed of a window not shutting which should certainly not be the case...they're only a few months old! This will be corrected straight away. I have also never been informed of people getting changed in the corridor and this clearly isn't on so we will need to put some stps in place to prevent this.

I hope next time you plan to visit Newcastle you choose to stay with us.

Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

Stayed here with a group of 18 fellas on a stag party. Ages ranging from 22 to 49. We reallly enjoyed our stay here. Central location, cheap and ample accomodation with friendly, helpful staff. Food and drink in the warehouse bar was good value for money. Overall an excellant venue for a stag party.

Hi Sam,

Thanks for writing your review of Euro Hostel Newcastle here on Trip Advisor.

I'm glad you and your party had a great time and am sure this was down to the fact that your stag party respected the other guests in the hostel.

Hope to see you again soon whatever the reason for your trip to Newcastle.

William

Been to Euro Hostel Newcastle? Share your experiences!