“Excellent value for money, great location” 5 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Premier Inn Newcastle South
Lobley Hill Road | Gateshead, Newcastle upon Tyne NE11 9NA, England   |
North England
“Excellent value for money, great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

When you first arrive here you look like you are driving into an industrial area with warehouses, factories or whatever but once you get inside everything is good.
We were 2 adults with our 2 grandchildren aged 11 and 8 for 3 nights. We had a family room which although not overly spacious was absolutely fine for our needs. It was perfectly clean and comfortable. The staff were very friendly and welcoming.
Breakfast stops a little early - at 9 o clock but it is excellent for the money you are paying. One breakfast waitress particularly was extremely helpful and friendly. Only
2 down sides - the floor where breakfast is served could do with a good vacuum and wash and the beds are a little hard for us.
But the location and value for money are so good. We were going to Beamish - 10 minutes away, Metro Centre - 5 minutes away, Newcastle Centre - 5-10 minutes away. For the 4 of us with full English breakfast we paid just over 250 pounds, how can you complain about anything at that price.

Room Tip: Not particulaly a tip for travellers more a tip for staff giving room allocations. I would have fel...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

119 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Hull
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great value for money, and as usual of a high standard.very clean rooms and great location if going to the shops. all the staff are willing to help, nothing is to much trouble. You know what you are getting with premier Inn.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with premierinn.com

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We spent one night at Newcastle South, after a mad dash up the A1 the hotel looked a little too 'traveling saleman-like'. However, a very warm welcome form the reception staff soon settled us. After, a superb dinner at a private function we were whisked home by a very friendly taxi driver.
I'm very sorry that I can't remember the night receptionist, after making us feel very welcome; laugh and refilling our depleted tea bag stocks without any hassle whatsoever. His canny polite attitude was very welcome, despite us being a bit giggly! No sooner had we put our heads on the pillow was it time for breakfast. The waitress couldn't be more helpful as we talked ourselves into a full-english with toast. It is the staff that really make a hotel, the certainly did for our flying visit, thanks for all your help.

Room Tip: First floor facing the carpark was very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dundee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Clean hotel with friendly staff and free parking. Less than 10 mins in taxi to Newcastle. Good value. Bar/restaurant on site which is handy, albeit did not use. Just off motorway, so easy to find. Good shower and spacious room. Free wifi or first 30 minutes.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Inverness, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We stayed for three nights over Easter weekend, upon arrival staff had hidden Easter eggs in our room for the kids to search for. The reception staff could not be more helpful, my kids were given Easter eggs every day of our stay by different reception staff. During our stay one of our children was taken ill with a vomiting virus, unfortunately she was sick on the sheets, floor, clothes etc. The cleaning staff immediately stripped all the beds and replaced the sheets, cleaned the floor and even washed and dried my daughters clothes. All this was done without any fuss, the staff in this hotel go above and beyond their job requirements, outstanding service A+++

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with this hotel, you get a lot for your money
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night on the way up to Scotland. The hotel is in a good location near to the A1 but no noise is heard from the road. We arrived late evening and found plenty of room in the car park.

We were warmly welcomed by the receptionist who smoothly checked us in. Our room was very spacious, it had a huge bed (2 singles together) and everything you would expect from a premier inn room - hair dryer, hot drink facilities etc.

I can't comment on the location to attractions in Newcastle or food as we continued our journey north and grabbed breakfast on the way.

Overall we had a comfy but short stay, well worth the £29 we paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Stayed here for 1 night for a business trip. No trouble finding it or parking, plenty of parking spaces. Location wise very good. Receptionist was friendly and welcoming.
I was on the 1st floor which I prefer as a female travelling alone. Only problem was no lift and at 5 months pregnant with a suitcase, laptop, work bag etc. I couldn't manage by myself. The receptionist however was great and he carried my bags up the stairs for me. I did have to manage by myself on the way down the next morning and whether ir not a lift is provided is certainly something I'll be looking at in future when looking at booking into premier inns.
Room was spacious, clean and tidy, as was bathroom. No problems with tv etc. Firm bed and pillows which is to my preference. Although my room was facing a road, I had a very good night's sleep, not woken at all and I only heard minimal traffic noice in the morning as I was getting ready so happy with the level of sound insulation in the room.
Only thing that frustrated me about the room was the toilet paper dispenser! It would only provide torn bits of paper and I ended up with shreds of paper all over the bathroom floor - definitely a design flaw with the dispenser that is quite wasteful and annoying.
Can't comment on the restaurant next door as I didn't eat there. I would say that the breakfast times here are different to a Premier Inn I stayed in recently in the Midlands so I'd be careful if you're a regular Premier Inn guest to just confirm breakfast times and not assume they're the same everywhere.
30 mins free wi-fi provided, any more and I think it was about £3.50.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to Premier Inn Newcastle South? Share your experiences!