“Romantic Meal” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Peruvian
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Romantic Meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked this restaurant as we seen it on Groupon. We hadn't been out for ages and we were very much looking forward to trying some new food. The restaurant itself has a lovely feel, i felt like i was sat in a restaurant abroad which was nice. The staff, well 2 of them were helpful enough. The starters were lovely, we had Garlic Bread and Nachos, really enjoyed them and got us very excited for our mains. I ordered the Fillet Steak for my main, knowing that fillet steak is a soft meat with no fat on i thought i couldn't go wrong, oh i was wrong though, what came certainly was not fillet steak, it was tough, fatty, chewwy and in my opinion unedible. When i told the waiter (i think he was the manager) he said it was the way i have it cooked, it was Medium to Well done, however i have had fillet steak in plent of restaurants and always have it cooked the same way and never has it tasted like that! My partner had a taste and got the biggest lump of fat stuck in his teeth, it knocked me sick and put me of the rest of my meal. My partner had chicken fajitas, i wish i'd gone for them as they were alot nicer, still not the best i'd ever had but more edible than what was on my plate. I doubt very likely that we will return to this restaurant which is a shame as the atmosphere was nice.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

20% Recommend
Durham, United Kingdom
“Unprofessionally ran, totally poor service. Disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

A groupon voucher took me and my wife to Rumba Casa Latina in Newcastle, not sure what we were expecting when we got there.
We were in Newcastle for an overnight stay so we thought we would give it a shot.
On arrival we were met by a single waitress looking after the restaurant. She showed us to our table.
The place was nicely decorated, nest and tidy, music was playing in the background, but it felt more like a cafe more than a restaurant to me, there wasn't any atmosphere at all.
The waitress came took our order for our drinks. We looked through the menu and she came back quite quickly and we ordered our food. My wife asked the young waitress a few questions regarding the menu. Something on the menu was covered over and my wife asked if that was the chicken ??? whatever and the waitress replied "Don't know that was before my time" a strange answer, then my wife asked(because she loves chips) whats the chips like? the waitress answered, "Don't know I haven't tried them" with a real attitude.
After around 35 minutes our starters came and be truthful, the food quality wasn't bad, i had garlic flat bread and my wife had potato skins which were both nice, no complaints there.
After the starters we waited a little while, then the waitress came over and took our starters away and my wife ordered another glass of wine. The waitress seemed busy and took ages to bring my wife's wine, much to my wife's annoyance, so we asked again and she said would get it, this took 10 minutes, she then suddenly got a bottle of wine from the kitchen and eventually brought a glass over to our table.
As soon as my wife tasted it, she said "its warm" the girl had brought over a glass of white wine warm. We called her over and we told her the wine was warm her reply was, "we don't have any cold wine ! My wife said "you don't have any cold wine ?" The waitress said "no", my wife asked why not ? The waitress replied "I don't know, I don't own the place !"
we could believe the waitresses attitude, you don't talk to paying customers like that.
The girl seemed to have some gripe about working there and obviously didn't want to be be there, neither did we, so after being in there around an hour and only receiving 1 drink and a set of starters and our mains nowhere in sight, we decided to leave.
We handed over our Groupon voucher to the waitress and said this will pay for what we had, she agreed and we left, not even a single apology.
This restaurant seemed to be poorly run, a single young girl running the place who obviously didn't want to be there, the service was very very poor and her attitude was even worse, I wouldn't recommend it.
Very disappointing and we definitely won't be going back !

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Quality of food lets this place down!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Like other reviewers we went here with a groupon voucher! Location of the restaurant isn't great but the decor and ambience inside is better! Staff are ok but music was blaring on our visit which meant ordering and conversation was difficult! Unfortunately the food was very dissapointing! Ordered the nachos, literally a bowl of Doritos and salsa, and the garlic tortilla, thin and dripping in oil, for starters! As they were the cheapest on menu we thought the mains might be an improvement but we were wrong! Between us we had the chicken fajitas and the chicken rice dish! Both were super greasy and lacking any substantial flavour! We didn't bother with a dessert or coffee! Overall would not recommend.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A taste of South America in Heaton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Went on a Groupon to find it must be the same owners of El Tortilla in Whitley Bay. Menus, music etc appeared all the same. Glad to find out so was the food. After a huge bowl of Nachos smothered in salsa, sour cream and guacamole, which was lovely, we went for the fajitas. Again, Hot, fresh and very tasty.
Not sure how well this restaurant will do situated on Heaton Road just off Shields Road.
Web site shows that they do Salsa classes and cater for hen nights etc.
As i say, great food, great service and good decor.

• Visited June 2013