“Quite nice but way too expensive for what I had” 3 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Coffee Shop
Hexham
“Quite nice but way too expensive for what I had”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Central Bean is another of these Costa type coffee places. Been to the one in Morpeth on another occasion which I think is nicer than the Newcastle one. Quite busy though it was lunchtime so I'd expect this. No wi-fi, or at least if they did I couldn't find it on my device. Coffee and food looked okay and prices average, but it was a hot day so I thought I'd have a chilled coffee. (espresso with milk and ground ice, so a bit like a coffee milkshake) it was nice but cost £3.55! This is at least £1 more than anywhere else for this. I should have checked before ordering or I wouldn't have bought it. They do have a coffee and sandwich deal for £4.50 which looked ok, so I guess it depends what you want. Seating is a bit tightly packed though they do have some comfy sofas at the back, but I couldn't get near them as they were occupied by these people who tend to hang around these places all day nursing a cold cappuccino and pretending to be working. There are worse places you could go, but much nicer ones too.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hull
“A bit off the beaten track but well worth a visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I was looking for somewhere to have a drink and something to eat on a recent visit to Newcastle. I ventured off the main shopping area and I was pleased to find this delightful coffee shop.

The decor is very groovy, with modern seating and tables. The ambience was great.

I was going to order a piece of banoffee pie but just as I was about to order it, a member of staff brought some key lime meringue pie. I had to have it and it was delicious and very good value at only £2.10, which is very competitive for a dessert. My sparkling water was good value for money, too.

The staff were very helpful and efficient.

Althought this coffee shop is a bit off the beaten track, I would strongly recommend it to visitors to Newcastle.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Oasis of calm”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

I love this coffee shop. Whenever I am in Newcastle shopping it's my meeting point for friends, and also to take time out in with a drink and some food. Loads of parking at the rear of the building make it perfect.

Comfy seats, free WIFI and magazines and papers to read whilst recharging your batteries.

The hot chocolate is the best I have had anywhere.

They used to do a duck and hoisin sauce wrap that was unbelievably good, but sadly no longer do these :-( .

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere