“If you like your pizza done properly, visit Cal.” 5 of 5 stars

+44 191 276 5298
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Restaurant/Take-Out
Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
“If you like your pizza done properly, visit Cal.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I've been to Italy and had many a pizza over there. I've also eaten a lot of pizza in the UK. And I can't say I've had a pizza better than what they dish out here.
I shared a 14" neopolitan style pizza with chicken and sun blushed tomatoes, and it was amazing. Perfect base with a nice bit of charcoal flavouring on the underside and beautiful sauce. A lot of his ingredients are D.O.P so you know you're getting the premium grade stuff from the old country, and it really comes through in the taste of the cheeses particularly.
Cal is definitely a master craftsmen, you'd be a fool not to pay him a visit.

• Visited April 2013

Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Best pizzas in the UK!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We visited Cal's Own last night mainly because of the reviews on here but also because its close to where we live. What a lovely experience. The pizzas were by far the best we've tasted in the UK, only authentic pizzas in Italy were better. The owner came to ask us if everything was okay and chatted to us for a bit. He was a nice friendly guy. I would recommend ordering a 18" pizza and sharing it between 2 people, which is what most people seemed to be doing. So glad we found this place and we will definitely be going back.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Reasonable service and decent value if you share”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Our service was pretty reasonable quick and efficient if, seemingly, a little stressed at the cost of the attentiveness which would have topped the experience off nicely. The atmosphere was bustling but pleasant.

Seated quickly with quick drinks orders. Appetiser was brought quickly, pimento olives which were excellent.

There seemed to be a backlog of mains in the kitchen (the restaurant was full and they were taking a few takeout orders as well). When the main courses did arrive, about 15 minutes, they were excellent but huge. We had a pizza each but should have shared really.

The meal was on the expensive side but we both took half a pizza home so could easily have knocked 30% off that.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Newcastle upon Tyne
“Best Pizza Place In Newcastle”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Cal's Own was recommended to me by a good friend who likes his food(!). I initially had my doubts, good food and Chillingham Road aren't two things I associated together.
Before coming I phoned up to make a reservation, however was told that they don't do reservations. When I arrived at 8pm on a Friday evening, the place was busy but we only had to wait a few minutes for a table to become free. (There are only about 20 seats in the place so that's why they probably don't do reservations)
The member of staff who took us to our table brought the menus and we ordered a couple of American Sodas (they do a good range including Welch's Grape Soda and A&W Root Beer).
The menu has a few basic pizza's to which various toppings can be added (at cost). We ordered two of 14" pizzas which took about 15 minutes to arrive.
I am very picky with my pizzas and have to say that these were the best I have eaten outside Italy! The base was thin and crispy, with a flavourful tomato sauce and some excellent stringy mozzarella. I went for a spicy Italian sausage and onions on my pizza which were great. The wife went for chicken (which was real chicken pieces, not reconstituted mush) and peppers.
The pizza's if anything were too big for individual portions and we would have been better getting 1 off 18" rather than 2 off 14". But the taste was great.
I asked for the desert menu and they were all made in store deserts, not bought in mass produced items.
Overall I would say that this is now my favourite place to eat out in Newcastle. I would heartily recommend it to all!

• Visited April 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Pizza to die for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Called in last night after reading rave reviews. We were not disappointed. Place had a really nice atmosphere even with just us in! Staff really pleasant and helpful, explained anything we didn't understand, but the star of the night was the pizza. I really didn't think I could eat all mine but it was so scrummy and so light I polished it off no bother! Himself went for the calzone which I must try next time as it too looked good and there was no chance of leftovers for me to try! Everything was cooked with love and you could taste it. Couldn't manage sweet, but will try harder next time. It did seem a bit expensive for pizza, but it was more than worth it. This was better pizza than I have had in Italy and I can't wait to go back. The young owner and staff deserve every success and I hope they will be around for a long time.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere