“Authentic and great value for money” 4 of 5 stars

+44 (0)191 261 0605
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Turkish
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
“Authentic and great value for money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2014

We has been meaning to come here for a while as we love Turkey. It's greatest strength is it's authenticity, very friendly staff and value for money food.
Don't go here for luxury or an extensive menu. Go here to experience real Turkish food and drink in a a cafe style and friendly atmosphere! Loved it.

• Arabic first
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Amazing food with a modern twist”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

Stoped heat on route to the theatre, have been a number of times and just gets better and better.can't wait to visit again

• Visited January 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Simple & Filling.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I popped into the Istanbul Cafe after seeing one of those advertising boards for the umpteenth time and also hoping to find somewhere not too pricey close to my work that satisfied; I was not disappointed.

It looks a little daunting going in but move past this initial feeling and you won't be let down, the venue is as rustic as the food.

Not long after sitting down I was presented with a gratis basket of cut baguettes served with a hot (spicy) tomato based dip which I cooled my palate down with a very nice glass of ayran and also a further cooling delicious yogurt dip - both of which were so good I was offered more bread after my empty starter plate was taken away.

For a starter I had a simple but refreshing Cacik - seasoned yogurt with cucumber, not quite filling but certainly preparing me for my main - Vegetarian Moussaka. There aren't a lot of veggie options but the moussaka is very nice for what it is.

The service is quick and friendly - I was in and out within an hour for 2 courses, perfect timing for a lunchtime break; over all I paid £11 for my 2 courses and drink - just about right costing for me.

Certainly want to return again and recommend it to anyone looking for somewhere cheap and satisfying who works close to Haymarket.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“QTR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

I've have visited Istanbul quite a few times and without exception each experience has left me wanting to go back again soon.
The menu is great and whether you are going as a solo or a group the food is perfect. Highly recommended :)

Bishop Auckland, United Kingdom
“A very pleasant surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were on our way to the theatre but were desperate for something to eat having already wasted 30 minutes looking for somewhere decent around Newcastle's main shopping area. Resigned to settling for the nearest Wetherspoons we saw the Istanbul sign down a side street and decided to give it a try.

What a gem! While the entrance was very unprepossessing, some wonderful smells pulled us up several flights of stairs before reaching the small and very busy little restaurant. It was only a short wait for a table to be cleared before we were sat down with a great view of the kitchen. The menu was reassuringly small and interesting but we both chose from the board, a grilled sea bass on salad for me and lamb goulash with rice for my partner. I bemoaned the lack of carbohydrate but the waiter reassured me that he would sort something out. A basket of bread and two bowls of dip, one fiery red, the other cool and yoghurt based were set out and we ordered the house humus.

Not wanting to spoil the fish meant avoiding the hot dip but it was reported to be excellent as was the humus. Meanwhile we could see our meal being freshly cooked, only moderately distracted by the Turkish satellite streaming a middle eastern version of 'You've been framed!" As befits a good Halal restaurant only non-alcoholic refreshments were available and a large bottle of fizzy water was reasonably priced.

The main course were delicious, the fish char-grilled and perfectly cooked. A simple salad but the addition of a bowl of buttered rice with pine nuts provided the necessary carbs! The lamb goulash was just as good, full of tender peppers, potatoes and other veg and very tasty lamb, also with a bowl of the rice.

Even if we didn't have to get off to the theatre we would have been too full for dessert, although the two chunks of complementary turkish delight couldn't be resisted.

Service was quick and friendly and the head waiter went out of his way to be helpful and informative. Next time we're in Newcastle looking for a quick but tasty meal, this will be our first stop. Highly recommended!

• Visited February 2014