“I love Mark Toneys!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Ice Cream, Café, Family Fare, Sandwiches
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dessert
Description: Traditional cafe and ice cream parlour, run by the Marcantonio family, who have been making ice cream in Newcastle since the late 19th century.
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
“I love Mark Toneys!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Been going here for years, and I think it is exactly the same as it always has been! MT does a wide array of savoury products, including sausage rolls, pork pies, fresh quiches and made to order sandwiches and rolls, as well as more substantial meals, home made puddings, cakes such as lemon meringue pie and blackberry slices, and the usual soft and hot drinks one would find in a cafe.

I always order a freshly made sandwich, normally the cheese savoury, and this time, as ever, I was not disappointed! What really makes Mark Toneys special is the range and quality of ice creams that they offer. Proper Italian white ice cream can be served as a knickerbocker glory, banana split, Strawberry delight, strawberry skyscraper... of one of many other sundaes made with fruit, cream, nuts, wafers and sauce, or just simply on its own to enjoy with a squirt of raspberry sauce as my Mum likes it. Yum yum!

The interior of Mark Toneys has seen better days, it is 50 years old... And it shows! But I think something would be lost if it were re-vamped and modernised to be honest, part of its charm is its old school diner type look! Visit soon and have an ice cream, miss out at your peril!!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Beverley, United Kingdom
“Fabulous food and value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Had a cooked vegetarian breakfast on my visit and it really was wonderful. it set me up for the day. The lady who took our order was friendly and kind. Mark Toneys food really is magnificent and when ever i visit the North East i try to pop in

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Anne M, Owner at Mark Toney Cafe and Ice Cream Parlour, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your very kind comments, we are very pleased you enjoyed your breakfast and hope you find time to visit us again when you are next in Newcastle.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Not as good as the one on Percy St”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've been going to the one on Percy St since I was little - for me Mark Toney's always reminds me of my Mam and Dad taking me for a banana split.
I walked past here today and my Dad and I popped in, cause we've not visited this one before.
It was a bit disappointing that the only two Sundae's we wanted (Black Magic and Butterscotch Sundae) were not on - but we tried something different and it was nice.
The place is in a dire need of a lick of paint.
It also didn't feel as welcoming as the one on Percy St - so I think if I go back to Mark Toney's, I'll play it safe and go to that one.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, it always helps to get the views of a regular. We are sorry that the sundaes you chose were not available on the day of your visit, but glad that you were able to find something else to enjoy from our long list of sundaes! We always decorate our cafes in the spring, so you should see a difference on your next visit, and we offer you a warm welcome in whichever one you choose, be it Percy Street, Grainger Street or Grainger Arcade, although people obviously have their own favourites - just like our sundaes!
Edinburgh, Scotland
“Cafe”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

This cafe looks great when you walk in with sandwiches and cakes on display in cabinets, they look delightful. Once you give your order and pay you can choose any seat in the house. The service was very slow with some in my group including myself waiting too long for what we had ordered. Even though it is just a cafe it should run smoother and quicker than it did.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our cafe. We are sorry that you felt you were kept waiting too long, however we have taken your comments on board and will try to speed up our service where possible. If you visit Newcastle again we hope you will be tempted to give us another try, and thank you for your kind comments about our delightful display of sandwiches and cakes!
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“warm welcome on a cold day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

After shopping on a freezing cold day in Newcastle last week,my friend and I went into Mark Toney's in Grainger Street. Usually we have a sandwich and a coffee but we needed warming up, so we chose soup from their extensive menu. We weren't disappointed - it was hot and delicious - and great value - just what we needed after trudging round in the snow .
Then, as I can't resist a dessert, I had a slice of apple pie with of course some of Mark Toney's famous ice cream. My friend is counting calories so she settled for a large cup of black coffee.
Needless to say we were reluctant to go out of such a warm atmosphere into the cold again. We always visit Grainger Street when we are shopping in Newcastle. I have never written a review before but It hought that the warm friendly service we had and the excellent food deserved a mention.

P&A Ryton

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review and your kind comments, your soup and apple pie were both made fresh in our cafe by our lovely staff, so they are really pleased that you enjoyed your visit, and look forward to welcoming you again.