“Hidden Gem” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue, English, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Hidden away, it has for decades, remained one of Gosforth's best kept secrets, serving as a welcoming watering hole for residents of the town's Red House Farm Estate and the surrounding areas. But now the word is officially out and discerning diners from across the region are descending upon and discovering the culinary treasures of this stunning, hidden gem.
Northumberland, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Called in with some friends for lunch. Sadly the restaurant was very quiet. I say 'sadly' as I think people are missing out on a gret place. We had a drink in the bar first and the locals were very friendly. We were served by a very pleasant young man who also took our food orders and served us. He was very attentive and helpful. The menu was quite varied and we had difficulty choosing as the dishes all sounded tempting. We only had a main course each, two pork belly, one steak and one fishcake and we weren't disappointed. The pork had lovely crunchy crackling and the steak was perfectly cooked. It was great to have fresh vegetables too, rather than the tinned or frozen ones served up by so many places. I couldn't find anything to complain about regarding the decor, though I understand that the owners plan to redecorate shortly. The restaurant was warm and comfortable and we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch there. I recommend a visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Well thank you so much for such a lovely review it's is very much appreciated by management and staff here at the Piper. We have and will continue to strive to make things even better so that our customers enjoy our quality food even more. I will pass your great words on to the staff as I know they get a lift from nice reviews and a downer when they are not so good for whatever reason. Business is tough for pubs and restaurants as it is for all other business in these times but you have given us a great boost knowing that you really enjoyed the food and the place in general. We are shortly embarking on a decorating spree and hopefully those people who don't like the colour scheme might like te new one although as I've said many times its. Matter of personal choice. At least it's clean. Thank you once again and please return soon.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A quick Sunday Lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

My wife and i booked Sunday Lunch here after following the pub on Twitter. We both went for the lamb after chatting to a fellow diner and were not disappointed. Lean leg of lamb, mash, roasties, cabbage and carrots, was nice to get an extra jug of gravy without asking. The young staff were very polite & helpful. Pint of London Pride went down nicely. Wasn't time or room for a dessert, hopefully another day.
Gardens looked like they would be good to sit in with kids in the Summer.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Well thank you so much for your lovely review and we are all so pleased that you enjoyed your Sunday roast it's been getting busier and busier on a Sunday credit I think to the delicious home cooked food which is real food and real gravy. Thanks for the nice comments about the staff also this is so much appreciated and we all hope to see you soon
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Needs colour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The food was very good, but the decor in restaurant was bland, boring and sad looking. Pity the decor did not live up to the decor in the bar. I want to be cheered up when eating. This is not the place to go for that. However the food was faultless even although the place lacked atmosphere.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Firstly thank you for taking the time out to give us a kind review. We are do glad that you found our food faultless. Nice to know the fresh food and quality approach works for people. Sometimes causes a little delay but worth the wait. As for the decor some people love it some like you don't. It was done the same time as the bar and is on the agenda to be refreshed soon. The farrow and ball paint used is not cheap and since we don't have a large group supporting us financially like some pubs benefit from we have to do things as they come up and I'm sure you realise looking at the age of the building this makes large holes in the bank account . Hopefully next time you visit you will see a marked improvement in the colour scheme. Thanks again for taking time out to review us.
Newcastle
“A visit back from the past.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I spent a lot of my childhood here with my family, I used to spend hours playing in the park outside and the soft play that used to be there! I thought it would be nice to go back and have a look, ive never been in around12 years and the place looks so different, love the interior its pretty quirky and the food was lovely I had no complaints and my partner also enjoyed it... a couple of old women were complaining about the chips on the opposite table but i can honestly say they were the best we have tried in a long time! Only down side was I was sad to see the soft play was no longer there as I had so many memories there when I was younger, I wanted to go and see it. Will come back it was lovely.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review and Im glad you had a trip down memory lane. Sadly we had to close the ball pool as it had become not somewhere you would want to put your kids anymore over the years of neglect that the pub had. The area now is a small meeting room where we have opened up the windows again and its a lovely area which we use for meetings and overflow etc. Please feel free to have a look nbext time you are in. We recently moved from frozen chips to fresh ones but some people prefer the frozen ones and I am seriously thinking about that one ha. Its great that you liked the place and watch out for further improvements soon. thanks again.
Durham, United Kingdom
“Surprisingly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Traditional pub with better than traditional pub grub. Nice relaxed atmosphere and great "cooked from scratch" food. Prices weren't too bad either, would return if passing.

Thank you so much for your kind review your comments are important to us and allows us to make adjustments where required. Glad you liked our fresh food whihc does take longer to prepare but I feel you can taste the difference from the biol in the bag or out of a box type food. Hope you come back soon and dont forget to tell your friends. Many thanks