“Not great” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue, English, Steakhouse, British
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: Hidden away, it has for decades, remained one of Gosforth's best kept secrets, serving as a welcoming watering hole for residents of the town's Red House Farm Estate and the surrounding areas. But now the word is officially out and discerning diners from across the region are descending upon and discovering the culinary treasures of this stunning, hidden gem.
Larkspur, California
“Not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

I used to live in Newcastle and recently returned to visit friends,I researched on trip advisor and decided that the Northumbrian piper sounded good and booked it for dinner,after all the food was described as excellent.
There were 3 of us, on a Tuesday night, it was dead, with only one other table occupied.
The decor was tired. The menu was not bad with a reasonable choice.
I ordered salmon and my other 2 guests ordered ribeye steak.
The service was slow, but we were not in a rush so that was ok.
My salmon was ok it came with a nice salad but the chips were blackened and limp.
My guests told me that the steaks were tough and not good, again their chips were blackened
and limp.

One of us had dessert which he said was good.
We were disappointed and would not return.

I was disappointed bearing in mind the reviews I had read.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Thanks for your review. Not sure which Tuesday you were in but to be fair most establishments are quiet on a Tuesday evening at this time of year. The salmon steaks come from Taylors of North Shields and are top quality fish which we normally serve with new Potatoes and not chips so im surprised and confused as to why you would accept limp blackened chips. Also the Ribeye Steaks are Top quality Steaks which cost £12.95 each so not cheap. Surely if these were not to your liking you should have sent them back? I would have. Service I certainly dont understand why this was not right on a Tuesday as the staff member who normally works on a Tuesday is well trained and very good with customers and is upset to think that she had failed us in this instance. Please consider letting us know at the time you visit if you are not happy with something this then gives us a chance to put it right for you, Thanks again

England
“Good value tasty food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

We came here for Valentine's Day and we were impressed with the quality of the food. Although on entry this place seems like a normal, when you get through to the restaurant bit it is much quieter and a nice atmosphere for a sit down meal.

Portion sizes are good and service was friendly. We were particularly impressed with the steak (and plan to come back for one of the grill nights) and the eton mess. Delicious!

I'd imagine this place would be beautiful on a nice summer's day, and I'd recommend it to all for high standard pub grub - even if it is a bit awkward to find!

• 4 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review of our food here at the Piper we do try our best. I'm glad you enjoyed Valentines night I was there with my wife and we too had a good night. I get tired of places that just rip people off on nights like that all we did was to make it special with a special menu . Thanks again
Crook, United Kingdom
“A Worthwhile Visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Having to visit Ikea at the Metro Centre and having a money off voucher my wife and I combined the trip and visit to this lovely eatery. Don't expect Weatherspoons or Yates's type fare, or atmosphere, the burgers were lovely, chips home made and a nice little salad, and a proper pub bar with lots of choice. Daughter and family get the next voucher and looking forward to the visit.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind review which is very much appreciated. We are so glad that you enjoyed our food and our pub and noticed the difference of our independence from that of the larger chains. We believe 100% in buying and serving only the best quality ingredients to make our dishes in house. And it's so pleasing to see that customers like you can see and taste the difference. Many thanks again
“Should be packed”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

Had lovely evening here. Food was really good, wholesome, honest and good value. Nice beer. It was quiet though. This is surprising considering what i have just said. We will be definitely coming back. Truly "a hidden gem"

• 4 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review it is very much appreciated by us all here at the Piper. Depends what night you come in really we are thankfully getting busier and busier for food as word spreads. We remain firm in our ethos that we buy good quality ingredients and make all our own food so we can guarantee that anything you eat here is what it is supposed to be and does not contain anything it should not unlike some of the large chains. Thanks again and tell your friends.
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed. . .”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

after seeing excellent reviews on here me and my partner decided to try here for a small meal out. we are sorry to say we left dissapointed as the reviews did not describe the food we had. It was by no means bad! but it certainly wasn't 'excellent' as some of the reviews had stated.

I had a cheese and bacon burger and my partner had the fish and chips. Portion sizes are very good and my partner said the tartare sauce was excellent! my coleslaw was extremely tasty also. the chips looked very nice and were clearly home made, but tasted bland and not fresh. The bacon on my burger was good and had plenty of cheese but the burger itself was very bland, could defiantly use more seasoning. my partner said the fish was rather tough.

Overall i would probably try eating here again as it may of just been because it was a Monday night and very quiet, but i would still rate the food as just average.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
JohnnyGandLynne, Owner at The Northumbrian Piper, responded to this review, February 14, 2013
Thank you for you review and I'm sorry you didn't find your food to your liking. The burgers are made by us on the premises from Scottish steak mince and we normally so get some great comments that they are really tasty so I'm not sure what went wrong here. The fish we get from Taylor's of North Shields so I m again not sure how it could be tough I will be checking this out following your comments. I do hope that you return and that we can try and get it right for you next time. It should not matter whether its a Monday or any other day it's got to be right.