“Accommodation ok, food very poor” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Keelman's Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle upon Tyne
The Keelman's Lodge
You added The Keelman's Lodge to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Grange Road | Newburn, Newcastle upon Tyne NE15 8NL, England   |
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Accommodation ok, food very poor”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

The setting is lovely, the rooms are ok and clean, the staff are fantastic. The food is shockingly average, which is surprising considering the price. I was here for two and half weeks (work) and had two good meals. Fish and chips was good, steak and ale pie was ale gravy with a hint of beef, mixed grill is worth avoiding. Curry tastes like a supermarket jar, zapped in the microwave. Apple pie the same, I've cream melting rapidly on the plate from the microwave.
My biggest disappointment we're the steaks. I am a massive steak fan. If a cook can not do a steak other than well done don't give me options !!! Three steaks, one success. Unfortunately the 2nd one. My last meal here is over done, on a cold plate , with a laughable side salad hiding under my cheap fries.
Like I say though, the staff are great and could not be more friendly. Shame. Good for a pint, find somewhere else to eat.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

We were in a separate single-storey building, so we were away from the pub and we had nobody on top of us. Excellent: it was extremely quiet. The rooms were large and well furnished, the bathroom was good. BUT... NO WiFi in the rooms, which is a pity. The food was very long to come to the table. It was all right but nothing special. Breakfast is not included. We had continental but it was very good and varied, much more than what you get on the continent i.e. fruit, yoghurt, cereals, everything you need but eggs, of course. We were walking the Hadrian's Wall path and it is well situated, a minute away from the path.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room, ask to be the single-storey building in annex
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Wuppertal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Nice big rooms in quiet surrounding in Tyne Riverside Park. Good matresses, great food in the Keelman's Inn next door and with at least six diffrent types of beer we would have liked to stay one more night. But beware: the Keelman's "Blackout" has 11%.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Due to the sensitive nature of our visit I have delayed reviewing the Keelman. We visited in mid July. It was a family visit, made up of several couples. We stayed a few days here.

The Keelman has quite a few nice features such as its' own brewary and it is very close to a local popular park. Many people stopped when walking there dogs for a bit of a rest in the garden area. Sometimes the outside area got quite crowded. When brewing we did notice the traditional bar area had a very distinctive smell. There is also a mezzanine area upstairs where tables are laid out for meals. I did find it quite dark but this is part of the feature of the building as it is obviously quite old.

There is a large glass sided conservatory area where tables are laid out for meals and breakfast. The glass could do with a spring clean. It was very popular. We found the meals to be quite good pub grub. However, after a few days we felt like we could do with a change. Unfortunately, there are very few options locally in Newbarn to compete with the Keelman. This makes the Keelman have that 'well used' feel about it both in and outside in the public areas. I just felt it was a bit trampled and tired despite an obvious effort in the garden as I did see someone gardening. Just the number of people using it are having a negative effect.

I think breakfast was very expensive for what was on offer. I am saddened that bed and breakfast is no longer the 'package' it once was and now most establishments seem to favour offering 'continential' at a price and 'full breakfast' at an additional price. I find this flexible arrangement not such good value for money. I had two poached eggs and toast on recommendation and it was nice but at the same cost as full breakfast??

There are two separate accommodation blocks from the old brewary building. Some of my relatives stayed in the rooms just beside the pub and car park. I belive there is an accessible room, I did not see it but it might be helpful to note. I think the first rooms are in this block. ( say 1-5??) I noticed the family room my relatives were allocated was very spacious and neat. The room was very dark though, even in the day. There is a very well established hedge at the back of the building which restricts the light quite a bit. The bathroom was clean but I was always very concerned about the smell of damp which was very strong in the room. I could not have stayed the night there because of it and it would have been a bit of an issue for me.

We stayed in the second accommodation block which is down a little path from the pub making it a bit further away. The room was again quite spacious and clean. There were nice windows looking out that could be opened. Some care and thought had clearly been put into the renovation of this building and it was very pleasant making me feel quite guilty leaving my relatives in the other building!! The current picture demonstrating the Keelman is a picture of this second block of accommodation.

This place has great potential and due to the current lack of competition and location is really sucessful. The meals were lovely. I wouldn't say there was anything special about the service to commend it but we had no issues here at all.

However, overall I wouldn't stay here again although popping in for lunch is good if you can find a table!!

Room Tip: If you are happy to stay just perhaps ask for a room numbered beyond eight or ask for a room in the...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

my husband and i stayed at the keelman in april this year and found our 2 nights stay very satifactory. the food was excellent the staff were really freindly. the room was imaculate and just what you need when staying away from home. it was that good we and 6 other of our freinds are staying again, and also recommending it to anyone i know going up north, Also any camra members would love the keelman for there real ale, brewed at the big lamp brewery. i promise you wont be disappointed with the keelman.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

came across this pub /restaurant/ hotel and brewery last year whilst cycling, my brother and i had a spot of lunch and a pint of their own brewed beer and so decided last saturday to try it again. i had a burger and chips with side salad, one of the best burgers i've ever had, my daughter had a trio of fish cakes and she raved about them, great setting right next to the river good food and lovely tasting ales, all in all a very good place to drop into if your on a drive out for the day

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I've never stayed here, but I've been for a few lunches. The staff are all nice and friendly, and they serve good beer (including Prince Bishop) for a fair price. Inside it is very pleasant, with a lovely big conservatory if you want to dine in there. There are lots of tables outside in a very large area, which includes a playground for kids.

However, if you want a good meal, forget it. The menu has a decent selection, but the quality of the food is very poor. There were 3 of us there recently and we all had different meals. I had a trio of fishcakes with (unnecessary) potato wedges and a dried up salad. The fishcakes had a very thick coating of breadcrumbs, and seemed to have been deep fried. My son had a stottie cake with beef which was covered (and spoilt) with loads of "gravy". The 3rd meal was scampi with poor quality chips.

I would only return for a couple of pints, but definitely no more food. It's a pity, because the food is it's only failing.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Keelman's Lodge? Share your experiences!