“It is what it says - a 3* hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN New Kent Hotel

You added BEST WESTERN New Kent Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN New Kent Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   127 Osborne Road | Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne NE2 2TB, England   |
Hotel deals
Glasgow
“It is what it says - a 3* hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

We stayed here in August 2011 for a girly weekend to Newcastle. I am very familiar with Newcastle and always choose to stay in the Jesmond area rather than the city centre. We chose this hotel because of it's location and it was cheap. Here's my thoughts on it -

Location: Good location. 10 mins walk to West Jesmond Metro & the shops on Jesmond Road. In a quiet residential area on Osbourne Road set away from pubs etc. Nearest pubs & restaurants were only a 5 min walk really.

Hotel: Looks nice on the outside. I expected a 3* though and that's what it is. Reception and bar and restaurant on ground floor with bedrooms on upper floors. The hotel is fine but possibly a bit dated. You get what you pay for! Bar is small but has tvs and a good selection. It appears to be staffed by the receptionist though which could be a problem if the hotel is busy. Restaurant is quite big and average. Half of it appeared to be closed off, maybe for dinner? when we had breakfast so the breakfast room was quite small. Plenty of seats though & I guess if hotel busy they'd open the full room.

Service: Can't fault the service. We arrived in the hotel around 12pm and there were 3 of us each having a room each. We all got into our rooms early. Our 4th friend arrived later & was given a key to a room which was already occupied. Easy mistake I guess. Not sure who got more of a fright my friend or the naked occupant of the room she was meant to have!!

Rooms: The rooms were average. A bit dated I'd say but spotlessly clean. We had 4 single rooms and they seemed to vary in size/quality. One of my friends was in room 16 and it was at the end of a corridor and absolutely tiny and pretty dated. Another friend's room was a bit bigger and not so dated. My room (7) and my friend's room (6) were the biggest and the nicest. They were all singles. Rooms 6 and 7 were above the hotel main door and had a dressing table and chair in the window. 4 big windows in the room & plenty of space. It actually looked like it had been a double room at one time & was changed. The ensuite was great. Complimentary toiletries. Again dated but it was fine really.

Food: We only ate breakfast in the hotel. I wouldn't say it was the best breakfast I've ever had however it was fine. It was cooked to order and there was plenty of choice. Girls in restaurant all appeared to be foreign (Polish I think) but were very friendly and helfpul.

Overall opinion: Would I stay here again? Yes definately! I think I would request Room 6 though. We paid only £45 each per night. I went with a mind to expect a 3* hotel and that's what I got so I wasn't disappointed. For a girly weekend away it's absolutely fine. Perhaps not for a romantic break though!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Sussex
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

Perfect location for visiting Newcastle. 10 minute walk from the excellent Metro trains which run every 10 minutes - and then a couple of stops to city centre. Staff very good and nice touch of loaning a laptop for an hour without charge. Rooms are fine - only downside being that the information folder stated that Sky Sports is available in each room, but not when I was there. Even handyman couldn't sort it. Breakfast was good but dining room very quiet during evening. As I didn't wish to sit in an empty resturant I walked 100 yards up the road where there is an excellent Italian Resturant which was doing a starter and main + a bottle of wine for £30 for two people - very good value and a busy place. All in all I will the hotel again but be prepared to go out for dinner.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We paid approx £45 a night for a double room with 3 course meal on first night and breakfast on 2 mornings. Food and service excellent. Room was rather small but adequate. Only real downside was the amount of creaking wherever you walked in the room so pitied those below us as we could hear those above. We stayed in room 17 so if you ever stay in this room don't bother with a morning call on a Monday as the bin men arrived at 5.30 am and also Tuesday I think more than one came round at 6.30 to 7.00 am so they supplied it....... Parking is a bit of a problem if it's full but we got lucky each time. Staff were very good from reception to bar staff to restaurant staff. Nothing seemed too much trouble. Overall would recommend for short stay.

• Stayed October 2011
Peterhead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

This is a well situated hotel on a really buzzing part on Newcastle, plenty to do in the evening within a couple of minutes walk or a short taxi ride into the centre of Newcastle.
All the staff really do try hard and are the hotels main asset, you are really made to feel welcome and nothing is too much trouble.
Facilities are good with a bar that is well stocked without the usual hotel exorbitant prices. The restaurant has fixed price daily and a la carte menus which are very varied, homemade soup of the day are normally excellent, presentation is good and after several meals in here I have not had any reason to complain, the quality has been first class!! Breakfast is in the same vein.
The only downside is the rooms are a little tired but that does not imply dirty! The cleanliness cannot be faulted and there is good attention to detail. Parking outside can be a problem when the hotel is full as once you are off the hotels land it is all double yellows and resident only parking.

Overall, the fact that I have stayed here four times in the last month says it all, for what it is you really would be hard pressed to find a much better hotel overall and I can thoroughly recommend it for situation, comfort, quality and staff.

Room Tip: Road side rooms tend to be noisier than those at the back, second floor is quite a hike as no lifts!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Skipton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

I like this hotel, I try to stay here when I'm staying in Newcastle on business. Osborne road is a buzzing place, but just around the corner from the hotel, so you are never disturbed by the activity where the pubs are.
My problem with this hotel is the quality of the single rooms. On my latest visit, I stayed in room 12, which is right above the kitchen. Never good in any hotel. The main kitchen fans were turned off before 11, but there was another fan left on all night. There is also an industrial refrigerator in the kitchen, which makes a very loud noise when the compressor kicks in. Although i was booked in for 2 nights, I wanted to check out the next morning specifically because of the noise. The very helpful receptionist said she would find me another room, which I agreed to. Unfortunately, this room was overlooking room 12, and so was overlooking the kitchen. I didn't get the noise from the refrigerator, but did still get the noise of the fan that was still running all night. As with the previous night, I hardly got any sleep at all.
The other thing about the single rooms is the quality of the matresses. Might as well be sleeping on a door. When they refurbished the rooms, they obviously kept the old mattresses. Very bad for anyone with even a hint of a bad back and generally uncomfortable.
I have stayed in a double room at the front of the hotel and the room was very nice, quiet and comfortable.
I do wish that the people that ran hotels stayed in the rooms they sell on a periodic basis so that they know what they are selling. If they did, maybe they might pay more attention to the comfort. It's simply not acceptable to charge the money they do for a room that it's not possible to get a good nights sleep in, the whole point of a hotel. I'm not alone in this, because I overheard the chap who had stayed in room 12 for my second night mention the noise as he was checking out.
As I said at the beginning of this review, I like this hotel, the staff and the location, but management please listen and do something about the noise.

• Stayed September 2011
yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2011

stayed 1 night on business
1- location very trendy suberb of newcastle ideal for local bars and resteraunts
2-parking very difficult not enoough spaces for the amount of rooms area is full of double yellow lines and resident parking only hotel manager was good enough to move his car otherwise i would not have been able to stay
3- rooms single was small but functional free wii fii big bonus but bathroom small panels stuck on with sealants shower ok
4-food-only had breakfast again averedge but very helpful breakfast waiter who nothing was too much troublle for working by him self
5- overall parking is a real issue needs more spaces /no problem if youre using taxis or public transpost area is ideal if you want to go out somewhere within walking distance
rooms could be better (only had a single) staff reception manager and waiter all very responsive to customer needs a little pricey for waht you get
regards straw bear

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
London, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

LOCATION:
The hotel is located in a very pleasant residential area of Newcastle with many shops, bars, restaurants, post office, other hotels, the Jesmond Metro and public library within easy walk from the property. The library will let you use the internet as a guest free of charge.
HOTEL STANDARDS
From the outside, the hotel is well-maintained and lit. I stayed in room 4 which was a good size with tea, coffee making facilities. The bathroom especially around the sink was rusty and the door handle came off when I tried to open. I requested these to be cleaned and fixed. They did so on the same day. The property does need updating, better double glazing windows and repairs to cracks and defects in some places.
HOTEL STAFF:
The welcome was clinical and at no time did anyone welcome me, wish me a pleasant stay or hoped I enjoyed my stay when I checked out. That is POOR customer service.
The breakfast restaurant service was also POOR. The mangement need to train their staff to do basic things like asking if they need more coffee/tea, if they enjoyed their meals and not to place foods in front of guests without first askling if they are read for it- especially if they are trying to finish a first course. These things make a BIG difference between a quality and POOR service IN ANY SERVICE BUSINESS!!
The management also need to make sure the pipe music played -especially duirng breakfast hours- are easy on the ears and do not drowned out conversations!!
The bar staff were superb and attentive and the bar area pleasant place to have a drink.
Limited parking is available at the rare and front, plus parking meters along the streets nearby.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to BEST WESTERN New Kent Hotel? Share your experiences!