“Derelict building” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Derelict building”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

Just in case you were thinking of visiting, I walked past in November and noticed that this old haunt was now derelict and no longer a restaurant.

Visited November 2013

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“A million miles away from its hey day”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

I took my friend excited that she was going to enjoy beng dined at the best restaurant in the north east ,... Or at least 6 years ago it was , we arrived at the restaurant and the car park seemed a bit run down, pot holes etc, the front door looked grubby , upon entering , we were asked to sit in the bar area , we waited a long long long time to be asked for drinks and even to see a menu , the drinks eventually arrived and we tried to order as with the service for the drinks being so slow, we feared waiting longer for the food, at this point my friend pointed out that there were cobwebs everywhere , tables were dirty etc, I said dont worry its a great place ...... Our table was dirty and we asked to change , I ordered fish and chips , and when it arrived I smelt it and it was off , a asked the owner to smell it , he said its fine , I looked at him and was in disbelief , are you kidding me ? It was clearly off, I said to him you eat it because I'm not , He apologised profusely and took the meal off my bill, but needless to say we won't be going back

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Let down again!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

We had bought a groupon voucher and had planned to go for a birthday meal two weeks ago, bearing in mind we were booked in for 7 o'clock we recieved a phone call at quarter past 5 just as we were getting ready to say the chef had got drunk and walked out so dinner service was cancelled! The manager was very apologetic and told us we could rebook for any date and would be getting a 'free gesture' which we assumed would be complementary drinks...however we haven't been able to find out as we had re-booked for today and receieved a phone call at 2 o'clock saying dinner service was cancelled again due to a gas leak! We found the manager much less pleasant on the phone today, he sounded like he didn't care one way or the other but suggested we can rebook again or try and get a refund from Groupon. Needless to say we will be asking for our money back!! Of course we can't comment on the food having been cancelled twice, but the Fishermans lodge comes across as an absolute joke, very poorly managed and has made us feel like a second class citizen for booking with a Groupon voucher. I would never recommend this restaurant for that reason alone and if the last few reviews about the awful food are to be believed we haven't missed much anyway! Just hope we can get a refund from Groupon for this dissapointing waste of time.

Visited April 2013
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Afternoon Tea?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We took advantage of a groupon or similar deal for afternoon tea last weekend and regretted it enormously.

I gather the restaurant gets excellent reviews for quality etc but I can't equate that with what we were served. The tea was fine and a quality blend, though a second pot seemed to have just had water added and was awful!

The food content was not even worth the discount value and I'd certainly not pay a full price. Sandwiches were a tasteless white bread with dry ham and a scraping of whatever relish or chutney; so little was there that you couldn't tell what it was.

If the scones were the test of the chef's mettle, then I suggest he look for another career! Very small, heavy and flavourless served with nice cream and a tiny amount of jam.

Most of the cakes were shop bought - and probably Aldi or worse and certainly not worth the calories!

I'm glad we'd not opted for the more expensive Champagne tea as the ladies behind us had. It seems that the main waitress had to do a dash to the shops as they'd run out of Champagne! Maybe the Sommelier had had a week (or month) off - there's no excuse for a restaurant of any quality to run out of wines!

As it is I shall not even bother to try the restaurant - the service and food quality was so far below what even a local cafe can produce. The fact that the wallpaper was also peeling off suggested that the Fisherman's Lodge has seen better days; judging by the food it won't see them again in future.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Durham, United Kingdom
“Quaintessentially English Afternoon Tea? No, essentially horrendous!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

My sister booked afternoon tea for my birthday which was a lovely idea. We arrived to a Strange atmosphere and got shown into a dining area with deathly supply of ambience!! Two couples were there and looked disgusted with their afternoon tea. We got our pot if tea to start and it was revolting in taste , like TCP! The cups were like NHS cups and not a piece of china in sight! We waited 30 mins and still hadn't been served . In the meantime we noticed the grimaces from one couple as to what they were eating so I ( having waited to be served for ages!!) asked if things were ok,
. They said the food was inedible!! The scone was like a flat biscuit and hard !!! I couldn't believe what I was looking at!! The sandwiches... Processed cheese and other poor fillings, also mainly bread!! The 'cake' was a quarter of an iced bun crudely cut!!!!! It was an unbelievable sight! To cut a long story short, we refused to eat there and we eventually got a face to face with the manager who was covered in flour and looked like he was on verge of a breakdown!!! He said he hated group on and there was problems with the chef!!!!!!!!!! He was absolutely dreadful and no apology! Some customer rang the police when no refund was offered ( out of sheer exasperation!!!). I gave never, ever had an experience like it! HORRENDOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even now, back at home , I am still reeling from it!

• Visited March 2013